NFL 2015 Offseason: The Aftermath

Jace, Extat

Speaking of random shit, what y'all think about the new trend of current players providing analysis and commentary? I mean, it's kinda weird right? When you hear Brandon Marshall complimenting the Packers the week after losing to them, it steals away some of the spirit of the rivalry.

I hate it. They're rarely gonna say anything real or insightful. I guess the best thing about it is a guy like Brandon Marshall will show his depth and likability in a way you'd never see otherwise. But still not adding to my enjoyment of the game, y'know?

But then I hate almost all former player analysts too. Just because you were a personality when you played doesn't mean you're competent to be a broadcaster.

One thing to think about is that if Brady was not there at 199, the Pats were going to take Tim Rattay. If everything remains equal, Bledsoe gets hurt in 2001. Now, I'm not saying Rattay would have been Tom Brady, but if it really is a system issue, Belichick may have liked Rattay and stuck with him and so maybe Brady does go to the Giants.

I guess what I am trying to say is- God wanted the Giants to win those Superbowls.

That asshole.

I hate it. They're rarely gonna say anything real or insightful. I guess the best thing about it is a guy like Brandon Marshall will show his depth and likability in a way you'd never see otherwise. But still not adding to my enjoyment of the game, y'know?

But then I hate almost all former player analysts too. Just because you were a personality when you played doesn't mean you're competent to be a broadcaster.

Marshall Faulk kicked serious ass in his analyst role and color commentator. Especially when he was paired with Vermeil. That was some serious football talk there.

Most of the time it sucks - but that's basically true about most everyone that talks football.

Marshall Faulk kicked serious ass in his analyst role and color commentator. Especially when he was paired with Vermeil. That was some serious football talk there.

Most of the time it sucks - but that's basically true about most everyone that talks football.

Nobody thinks of him as a player any longer, but Collinsworth is tremendous.

But they are few and far between.

Something completely different: This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzVmYt7ymFc

"Naked Katie Perry flying in on her Magic NBC "The More You Know" mobile, accompanied by her two retarded dancing sharks each carrying suitcases full of money, lightsabers and Kit-Katts could not bring me that kind of instant joy."

Nobody thinks of him as a player any longer, but Collinsworth is tremendous.

But they are few and far between.

Not sure I've seen Marshall Faulk in action yet.

Cris Collinsworth is the best in the business IMO. He catches all kinds of things in the telecast I never would've seen otherwise. Al Michaels says it's because he doesn't even watch the ball during a play, he's focused on line play and shining a light on the hidden game and really that's all I want from my color guy. Bring actual insight. Tell me something I don't know.

Phil Simms is the opposite.

Cris Collinsworth is the best in the business IMO. He catches all kinds of things in the telecast I never would've seen otherwise. Al Michaels says it's because he doesn't even watch the ball during a play, he's focused on line play and shining a light on the hidden game and really that's all I want from my color guy. Bring actual insight. Tell me something I don't know.

I also like Collinsworth, he is the guy that more reliably says things I wasn't already aware of. I found Marshall Faulk kind of stiff and generally forgettable. But at least I didn't notice him saying dumb things, which is more than I can say for a lot of commentators. My least favorites are easily the Troy Aikman/Joe Buck combo and Tony Siragusa on the sideline. Sometimes I get the impression that Siragusa actually enjoys not telling us anything, because he seems positively delighted to share nuggets like "coming out of the tunnel, this team looks like they really came to play" and "it is really windy down here".

I think Dan Fouts is underrated as an announcer.

The best I ever saw was a coach not a player - Madden in the 80's - back when he was just one of the guys on Sunday rotation. He'd break down OL play like a coach, but still make sense to a layman. Only in the 90's and beyond did he become the caricature he became.

Just got in from the victory parade. I was pretty pissed about it this morning because it turned my commute into three hours, and I have some strong opinions about choosing to run a parade through the center of the city on a Wednesday (worst day to drive into the city I've found) and two days after an iceberg got dropped on the city.

But shit, the thing started behind my office building, and my boss was going, so why not? Who knows if I'll ever have this opportunity again? In the past I was living and working in the suburbs. It was a good time. I cheered hardest for Malcolm Butler. And, no shit, I got a picture of Belichick smiling.

The best I ever saw was a coach not a player - Madden in the 80's - back when he was just one of the guys on Sunday rotation. He'd break down OL play like a coach, but still make sense to a layman. Only in the 90's and beyond did he become the caricature he became.

The thing with Madden is that even into the '00s he still had some good, insightful things to say. The problem was that it seemed like as he got older, the weird habits (drawing lines all over the screen) and quirks (rambling about various things) of his style just became a bigger and bigger part of his broadcast. But even at the end of his career, I would say Madden was never worse than hit-or-miss. He said both dumb things and intelligent things, often one right after the other.

But shit, the thing started behind my office building, and my boss was going, so why not? Who knows if I'll ever have this opportunity again? In the past I was living and working in the suburbs. It was a good time. I cheered hardest for Malcolm Butler. And, no shit, I got a picture of Belichick smiling.

Pics or it didn't happen.

That's awesome that you were there. Great job; hope you enjoyed it.

I was in Boston this morning but I had some stuff to do in court; I thought about staying for the parade but I could not convince myself to be away from the office that long. I saw the first one so... seen one ... you want to see them all.

The thing with Madden is that even into the '00s he still had some good, insightful things to say. The problem was that it seemed like as he got older, the weird habits (drawing lines all over the screen) and quirks (rambling about various things) of his style just became a bigger and bigger part of his broadcast. But even at the end of his career, I would say Madden was never worse than hit-or-miss. He said both dumb things and intelligent things, often one right after the other.

There were always rumors in his later years that a bottle may have contributed to his variable degree of engagedness.

Josh Gordon suspended for yet another season. The Factory of Sadness exceeds production quotas for 10 seasons running...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12275102/nfl-suspends-josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-least-one-year

In the now overflowing "behaving badly" blotter:

• Falcons will likely lose draft picks over pumping in crowd noise. Like every Atlanta sports team, have to simulate a crowd somehow amiright?
  • Browns will likely lose a draft pick for the front office texting the sideline during games.
  • Browns lose Johnny College Football to rehab
  • Browns considering trading up to take Marcus Mariota in the draft which would mean and incredible 3 first round draft picks used on QBs in the last 4 years. Anyone who makes the obligatory RG3 joke is dead to me. Other recent first round picks include Justin Gilbert, now considered a "nuisance" by the team and Trent Richardson...who, um, yeahhhh.

And then this gem I found out from Mexal:

Colts ILB D'Qwell Jackson was arrested for assault in Washington, D.C. on Tuesday night.

Jackson allegedly punched a pizza delivery boy in the face and in the back of the head in a fight over a parking spot. You can't make this stuff up. Jackson is being charged with simple assault. The Colts are on a record pace for off-field issues and have become the new Bengals. Jackson, 31, started all 19 games for the Colts this past season, playing over 1000 snaps. He was flamed in coverage. Jackson signed a four-year, $22 million deal with the Colts last March.

Ryan Lindley expected to miss 5-7 weeks.

What do you think happens to Malcolm Butler? He seems to have decent size and enough speed to keep up with mediocre receivers running deep routes. He's also (obviously) good at contesting passes. There were a couple Patriots' cornerback's a few years ago (Wilhite and Wheatley?) who always seemed to be tight to their receivers but could never contest a pass. Going by that, he could be one of the better nickelbacks in the league. I'm afraid that he'll have some stupid and easily exploited weakness, like always bites on a double move, or trips whenever the receiver makes a sharp cut, that everyone will figure out with a season's worth of tape and he'll be out of the league in two years.

What do you think happens to Malcolm Butler? He seems to have decent size and enough speed to keep up with mediocre receivers running deep routes. He's also (obviously) good at contesting passes. There were a couple Patriots' cornerback's a few years ago (Wilhite and Wheatley?) who always seemed to be tight to their receivers but could never contest a pass. Going by that, he could be one of the better nickelbacks in the league. I'm afraid that he'll have some stupid and easily exploited weakness, like always bites on a double move, or trips whenever the receiver makes a sharp cut, that everyone will figure out with a season's worth of tape and he'll be out of the league in two years.

In my opinion, he will be a nice option for sub-packages but not much more. Arrington was getting beat pretty badly by the bigger Matthews, and Butler stepped up nicely. But lets not make him more than he is. He was a long shot for the team to begin with. He worked and studied hard, which turned him into the serviceable player that he is.

Archived