How do you feel about characters getting revenge?

TrueOrFalse

So we know revenge is a huge theme in ASOIAF. We've got Lady Stoneheart hanging her enemies, Arya with her list, Tyrion killing Tywin and Shae, Oberyn wanting revenge for Elia and then in turn the Sandsnakes wanting revenge for Oberyn, Wyman Manderly killing Frey's etc.

And I was talking with two friends the other day who had completely different reactions to these things. One said she loses respect for any character when they act on their feelings of revenge, in her eyes it makes them as bad as the people who wronged them. The other said she gets huge satisfaction out of it, especially when the character really deserves it.

So I'm interested to know your reactions when a characters gets revenge. Do you cheer or not? Are there some characters you agree with and others you don't?

I was also wondering what GRRM is saying here, seeing as my friends had completely different views. Does he intend us to feel satisfied or disgusted while Merrett Frey is being strung up in the air (for example)? Or is he not trying to push us one way or the other at all?

I'm in a little grey area. But I do cheer when people get revenge for wrongs done to them. I mean how can you not cheer for the Red Viper? And I did cheer when "Mercy" killed Raff. And in ACOK I wanted Theon to have something bad happen to him. But what has befell him, there is no way I'm cheering for that

I think that overall theme is that revenge isn't the best idea. When you see what happened to Oberyn, when you look at what Arya and Cat has turned into, or to what extent Manderly went, when you see how Dany callously confused revenge with justice, I would say that revenge isn't the best course of action in ASOIAF. Especially, since the revenge itself doesn't bring the justice to anyone, and even doesn't solve anything. So, overall I think that revenge isn't the course one should take and I think that GRRM is kinda agreeing with me.

I think that overall theme is that revenge isn't the best idea. When you see what happened to Oberyn, when you look at what Arya and Cat has turned into, or to what extent Manderly went, when you see how Dany callously confused revenge with justice, I would say that revenge isn't the best course of action in ASOIAF. Especially, since the revenge itself doesn't bring the justice to anyone, and even doesn't solve anything. So, overall I think that revenge isn't the course one should take and I think that GRRM is kinda agreeing with me.

Yeah, I definitely agree with this.

“there will be death, aye. Your lordship lost a son at the Red Wedding. I lost four upon the Blackwater. And why? Because the Lannisters stole the throne. Go to King’s Landing and look on Tommen with your own eyes, if you doubt me. A blind man could see it. What does Stannis offer you? Vengeance. Vengeance for my sons and yours, for your husbands and your fathers and your brothers. Vengeance for your murdered lord, your murdered king, your butchered princes. Vengeance!”

“Yes,” piped a girl’s voice, thin and high.

Bolded is pretty much my thoughts on vengeance.

I'm against revenge in most cases I think. especially when a character makes revenge their life's goal I have the idea that when they've actually fullfilled it they'll just feel empty because nothing has really changed. revenge doesn't make anything better, it just causes more pain, whether that pain is deserved or not is another question but even if it is, what does that solve. so no, I do not cheer for revenge. the furthest I go is think "that character really had that coming!"

Archived