Others - reasons for invasion of Westeros

Bluetiger

Many people ( including me) think that mysterious White Walkers aka Others aren't just mindless killing machines or clichè of cheap fantasy's " They are evil because thay are evil".

We can explain "bad" wights - they are only reanimated corpses not living humans , needed by Others to be their infantry during conquest of world. But Others? Why do they do what they do? Do they seek revange? Shelter? Are they deformed humans? Are they escaping from more dangerous creatures? Are they completly evil? Are they thinking and have free will?

What happend thousands years ago , during long night? How they were defeated? Why are they back now?

So many questions. I hope together we will search for answers for some of them.

So, what do you think about the Others?

I think blood betrayal is the key here. To me it supports the notion that either men or cotf used blood magic to create them to try and get revenge. Bran makes a comment at 1 point that makes me lean towards men. When Leaf talks about all the old species dying, Bran says that men wouldn't just take it the way the cotf were, they would fight and curse and do everything they could.

They're cold. Headed south to warm up.

Makes just as much sense to me so far that they're first men who... changed... and then were overcome by their new nature. (sounds nazgul-ish but hey, why not)

I think it has something to do with why the first men were at the fist of the first men though.

I can see two explanations.

1. The Others are a distant cousin of TCOTF. I could see a sect of the children not agreeing with the truce between them and the first men. Forsaking hundreds thousands miles of land and forest. So they moved north away from the COTF that agreed to the deal and humans. In the harsh environment of the land always winter they used magic to adapt. And change there bodies. You have to admit the raising of Wights and Skinchanging are pretty similar.

2. The Others are humans as the show implies and Craster's wives imply. Who are turned as infants with some sort of ice blood magic.

Both 1 and 2 have issues.

GRRM has said The Others are an inhuman race. This to me means there not humans who have been turned. Because fundamentally they would still be humans. Idea #1 just seems a bit to far fetched.

I think a 3rd option is more likley. They exist because they exist. They are humanoid ice creatures. Just like dragons. Tiny earth elves. Fire Wyrms. etc... There a magical creature in a magical world.

They definitely aren't completely evil as nothing in this series is black or white.

They are seeking power and domination to advance their goals as most characters in the series are

Their goals include potentially spreading winter and something to do with the imbalance of the seasons

I also dont think they are "evil" but what is neat there is evidence they dont only exist in Westeros. I think in the World of Ice and Fire its implied they exist is Essos. At least some form the the children live there. There is a real neat sections about ice dragons and the such.

I think there may be more factions to the northern monsters than just Others and Wights. There are references to "Neverborn" in the letter from 1993 where GRRM is discussing his plans for the series. I think there are Others, Neverborn, and Wights. I think the Neverborn are the true, un-human creatures, while the Others are humans who have been turned into Neverborn-like creatures.

I think there may be more factions to the northern monsters than just Others and Wights. There are references to "Neverborn" in the letter from 1993 where GRRM is discussing his plans for the series. I think there are Others, Neverborn, and Wights. I think the Neverborn are the true, un-human creatures, while the Others are humans who have been turned into Neverborn-like creatures.

Where can I read this letter?

I think they go where they can. This winter is going to be especially bad and so they can go further south.

They are like Sharks, stay out of the water and you wont be eaten. Unfortunately, the water is rising and the sharks are coming along as well.

The Others are not evil, just like Sharks are not evil. But that does not make you any less dead when you run into one.

Cool idea I said on that letter post what the hell are neverborns? Sounds so cool but nobody really discussed it, great idea that they are in fact the ones controlling the others, perhaps that is the nights king in the show and he was made that way by his lover of the neverborn

I think the Neverborn's eventually became Craster's children when GRRM starting writing the books.

My theory? Something really scary comes from far north, and the Others are just running away for their lives.

That "something scary" is intended to be a main theme of the sequel trilogy, of inevitably inferior quality.

I don't see that, I mean why are they taking so long to come down south then? I mean they seem to be indiscrimenently killing humans from the opening pages!

I think blood betrayal is the key here. To me it supports the notion that either men or cotf used blood magic to create them to try and get revenge. Bran makes a comment at 1 point that makes me lean towards men. When Leaf talks about all the old species dying, Bran says that men wouldn't just take it the way the cotf were, they would fight and curse and do everything they could.

I like your thinking. Since cruelty and vengeance are the core of the story it would be great to see a force such as the Others rise from that and bite back at people.

I don't see that, I mean why are they taking so long to come down south then? I mean they seem to be indiscrimenently killing humans from the opening pages!

This is also why evil is sort of there for sure, I mean they hate humans for whatever reason but has to be a lot of evil to want to wipe everyone out and have winter domination over the planet! (If this is what they want of course)

Archived