Recommendations: SF/F books without sexual assault triggers

Lies And Perfidy

The Lies of Locke Lamora series is rape-free, IIRC? There's a hint in book 3 maybe that Sabetha was afraid of a particular culture's rituals of rape-ginger-virgins-to-death (which, OK), but I don't recall anything onscreen in either of the first two books.

Yeah true, I can't recall lots of rape stuff in the Locke Lamore books either, which is definitely a point in their favour.

Apart from that, Temeraire? (Or did Darth Richard already mention them?). Peter S Beagle's "The Unicorn"?

Can't remember there being any rape on screen or mentioned in China Mieville's "The Scar" either (it is a plot point off screen in "Perdido Street Station" and I believe there is quite a lot of rape and murder in "Iron Council". )

Yeah true, I can't recall lots of rape stuff in the Locke Lamore books either, which is definitely a point in their favour.

Apart from that, Temeraire? (Or did Darth Richard already mention them?). Peter S Beagle's "The Unicorn"?

Can't remember there being any rape on screen or mentioned in China Mieville's "The Scar" either (it is a plot point off screen in "Perdido Street Station" and I believe there is quite a lot of rape and murder in "Iron Council". )

Isn't rape one of the major plot points in PSS?

Avoiding direct on screen rape and assault isn't too bad, but if you don't want any mention of rape/assault/prostitution that's going to be hard in anything semi realistic where there is war going on. Or any semi realistic medieval setting is going to have brothels, at least. (Not that they NEED to, but you know what I'm saying).

Isn't rape one of the major plot points in PSS?

Yes, it is, but everything is off page, and it is kept sort of under wraps until the very end. Rape as betrayal, if you will. Which Isaac also reacts to.

I guess it depends on what sort of triggers people have. Is it rape/sexual assault mentioned or dealt with, or these things actually happening on the pages. In PSS it is definitely a plot point, but happens before the story starts. In Ketty Jay it is mentioned or at least alluded to, but also happens off page.

In comparison, there is a lot of dodgy stuff going on in the actual story in say, Iron Council, ASOIAF etc.

There is dolphin on dolphin rape in Startide Rising.

:lol: Aaand I feel this thread has reached a new low. :p (Sorry EB :p )

One of the heroes rapes his wife, in the Belgariad, and that is a good guy, just saying. I may have brought up books that included some triggers by error, but they were better than Eddings, he stinks in every way that matters.

Who raped his wife? That is really going to bug me.

I asked earlier though I think I remembered. Its the Cherek man (Barak iirc?)

Yup, I just googled it. It was Barak, he raped his wife in book one. But Eddings says it was okay, cos his wife is a cold bitch, and they made up after, so that is all fine then.

I either completely forgot about that or was too young to think about it

It does? The thing in Urth? Can you explain it in a spoiler for me if you don't mind?

Sure:

Severian rapes Jolenta in New Sun. Like most major events in a Gene Wolfe book it's skipped over pretty quickly so it can be easy to assume it was consensual, or even miss it altogether. But then in Urth Severian spells it out:

"...quick and clumsy with Jolenta (whom I might have been said to have raped, though I believed then and believe still that she wished it)."

Well, going in the scifi direction, I think David Brin's Uplift series is pretty ok?

Fairly certain it had one of the dolphins (the shark-hybrid, IIRC) trying to rape another in Startide Rising.

And a (humorously misunderstood) dressing up as a hooker in the Uplift War.("You said you were supposed to dress like a fisherman!?")

Fairly certain it had one of the dolphins (the shark-hybrid, IIRC) trying to rape another in Startide Rising.

No, it's one of the good guys raping the killer-whale hybrid while they fight to the death, to make him angry enough that he'll regress and forget to use his laser beams, if I remember correctly.

:lol: Aaand I feel this thread has reached a new low. :P (Sorry EB :P )

I suppose out of context it could feel I made an odd remark, but for the record, Uplift features actual PoV characters who are "uplifted" (intelligent) animals, who read like human PoV characters. Is it a trigger? Well apparently anything, even a mere mention is considered to be so, so it would seem to be.

Archived