Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Michael Seswatha Jordan

I look at prize fighting like golf. You are measured by how much money you make. By my criteria Mayweather is GOAT.

Well, yes and no - because of the Tiger effect and how the game changed who won there are some huge anomalies. For instance, the highest ranked Palmer is Ryan, Arnold doesn't show up until #388. Jack is in at #288. I wouldn't consider Jerry Kelly at top 25 golfer, but there he is at #23 all time

I just watched the fight, and I thought that it was an absolute clinic that Mayweather pulled on Pac... I really do not understand all of the controversy. Half of my Facebook feed was people saying that Mayweather had lost. I also don't understand why people are saying that this was a boring fight. If I was not working last night, I would have gladly ponied up the $100 and I feel like I would have gotten every pennies worth.

It was the Tyson fights that I always felt robbed on. 30 seconds for Iron Mike to put down the Average Joe of the week was always a rip off. This fight was full of skill.

Most people that watched this fight don't watch or understand boxing and think it's like a Rocky movie or all those Tyson fights from the 90's. Ali made his career doing the exact same thing as Floyd. The only difference was he had 70 lbs on him so his counters could batter somebody. And it wasn't until he was out of his prime and out of the sport for awhile that he lost his speed and started getting in slugfests.

The most amazing thing to me is that everybody got hyped up to watch two 145lb Welterweights go at it and were shocked they didn't get Tyson/Holyfield or Ali/Foreman.

Dont care if I'm ignorant on it, I find it boring. You may disagree and that's fine.

See the thing is, the people that don't like/understand the ground aspect (the bjj, the guard, etc) are very similar to the people that said all of Floyd's dodging/slipping/clinching was "dancing and hugging". They just aren't knowledgeable about the sport.

Ali made his career doing the exact same thing as Floyd. The only difference was he had 70 lbs on him so his counters could batter somebody.

Two very different things here. Ali would let a puncher wear himself out for 10 rounds, then knock him out. That is a very exciting style and strategy to watch play out. Mayweather doesn't do that. He escapes, and tickles his opponent on the way out. He is brilliant at it, but please don't compare that to what Ali did. If it weren't for TKOs, Mayweather would've never knocked any opponent out.

Two very different things here. Ali would let a puncher wear himself out for 10 rounds, then knock him out. That is a very exciting style and strategy to watch play out. Mayweather doesn't do that. He escapes, and tickles his opponent on the way out. He is brilliant at it, but please don't compare that to what Ali did. If it weren't for TKOs, Mayweather would've never knocked any opponent out.

No he wouldn't. Ali did that against Foreman who was 24 years old, had a poor technical pedigree, beat his opponents by the end of the 2nd in his last 8 fights, and only had a handful of fights in the earlier part of his career go past 4 or 5 rounds. And this was when Ali was much slower and couldn't dance the way he used to.

You are talking about two 145 lb Welterweights who aren't go to be huge lumbering heavyweights and have crap cardio that won't gas by 5 or 6. The only difference between Floyd and Ali was that Ali had punching power in his counters. If Floyd weighed 70 more pounds some of his counters would have rattled and opened up Manny and gave him a chance for KO. But we are talking about two very different weight classes.

The only difference between Floyd and Ali was that Ali had punching power in his counters. If Floyd weighed 70 more pounds some of his counters would have rattled and opened up Manny and gave him a chance for KO. But we are talking about two very different weight classes.

I suppose that's fair, but that difference made Ali's fights much more exciting and watchable for your average spectator than Mayweather's.

I suppose that's fair, but that difference made Ali's fights much more exciting and watchable for your average spectator than Mayweather's.

That's why heavyweight fights are more popular. It just sucks that the heavyweight division is basically locked up by Klitschko who hasn't lost in ten years and isn't a great personality (in a boring sense, not a he's a bad guy type thing). Also not many great contenders out there.

To me it's amazing that Welterweights were getting this kind of coverage.

That's why heavyweight fights are more popular. It just sucks that the heavyweight division is basically locked up by Klitschko who hasn't lost in ten years and isn't a great personality (in a boring sense, not a he's a bad guy type thing). Also not many great contenders out there.

I don't really get all the complaining about Mayweather. He's a genius defensively, I think it's good to watch but if you don't I don't see the point in complaining. Everyone expected Mayweather to win and that's how he was always going to win, if you don't like it why did you watch the fight in the first place? Klitschko is someone who I do think is really good but boring though, he just takes not risks and really doesn't need to dominate the heavyweight division. Which is unfortunate.

I don't really get all the complaining about Mayweather. He's a genius defensively, I think it's good to watch but if you don't I don't see the point in complaining. Everyone expected Mayweather to win and that's how he was always going to win, if you don't like it why did you watch the fight in the first place?

I guess that's really the core complaint. It's basically me kicking myself. Why did I get excited about a MJayweather fight? Why did I shell out money to watch this?

I don't really get all the complaining about Mayweather. He's a genius defensively, I think it's good to watch but if you don't I don't see the point in complaining. Everyone expected Mayweather to win and that's how he was always going to win, if you don't like it why did you watch the fight in the first place? Klitschko is someone who I do think is really good but boring though, he just takes not risks and really doesn't need to dominate the heavyweight division. Which is unfortunate.

I expected the same thing and got what I expected. I appreciate what Floyd can do. But only boxing fans will. I get how casual fans will not like it.

Archived