Poldark [SPOILERS first season]

Veltigar

The impression I got of George is that the actor and / or director is attempting a bit of cheap pull from Outlander -- a fixation on Ross.  Really? tears in his eyes after Poldark rebuffs his suggestions they have more in common than they are different, and then running right to Elizabeth to declare his feelings for her?  Who does that in his right mind? And then egging Francis on with the narrative that Ross hates him (Francis) because he got Elizabeth.

It feels rather cheap, yanno what I mean?

That's a really interesting perspective and one I've never considered before. George does seem to think that he must have everything Poldark (the general family) has; like with Elizabeth, I don't know that George really cares for her. It's just that he must have what a Poldark has. I've always viewed it as George needing to prove that's he just as good as the old families--the Warleggen's being "new money" who are judged by the old money families as inferior. But your perspective is something I'll have to keep in mind.

I don't think Elisabeth came over to Nampara to nurse Demelza in the books; I doubt it would have even occurred to her to do so.

A pretty good first season.  I do have issues with the casting of Francis and George.  Francis is supposed to be charming, even though he lacks strength - TV Francis alternates between whiny and unpleasant.  George Warleggan is supposed to be a physically imposing man with a bull neck like his blacksmith grandfather; and a personality ranging from dignified to utterly cold and ruthless (except with Elisabeth, with whom he comes closest to acting like a real human being).  TV-George is a slender, rather languid and over-aristocratic type to the point of looking foppish, and he seems to be far more in love with Ross than he is with Elisabeth (well, who can blame him, but the character in the book is straight and fixated on Elisabeth).

Still, I really loved seeing Verity finally getting some long-overdue happiness; Ross' last scene with baby Julia broke my heart, and the finale, like the rest of the season, was quite entertaining.  Aidan Turner smolders brilliantly, the gal playing Demelza is quite credible (especially having the brilliant performance of Angharad Rees in the original series to live up to); and I look forward to the next season.

On George, that was true also with the actor Ralph Bates.

And "Fop" is the best way to describe the adaptation. I'm also glad to see that I wasn't the only one who noted the obcession with Ross. Again, of all the Poldarks, given his merchant background, Ross should be his favorite Poldark.

And shouldn't Franics be trying to find Verity a suitablle suitor instead of keeping her a glorified baby sitter.

The impression I got of George is that the actor and / or director is attempting a bit of cheap pull from Outlander -- a fixation on Ross.  Really? tears in his eyes after Poldark rebuffs his suggestions they have more in common than they are different, and then running right to Elizabeth to declare his feelings for her?  Who does that in his right mind? And then egging Francis on with the narrative that Ross hates him (Francis) because he got Elizabeth.

It feels rather cheap, yanno what I mean?

And he  always seems to be around. Wherever Ross is, he seems to know.

The impression I got of George is that the actor and / or director is attempting a bit of cheap pull from Outlander -- a fixation on Ross.

I don't think so. Outlander isn't that old. Unless you mean the books.

I don't think so. Outlander isn't that old. Unless you mean the books.

The English period television society -- writers, directors, actors -- is pretty close knit; everybody knows each other and what's going on.  From reading books by people who have been involved in this for part or even for their entire careers, it operates like a Club -- club life still important there as it's always been.

The English period television society -- writers, directors, actors -- is pretty close knit; everybody knows each other and what's going on.  From reading books by people who have been involved in this for part or even for their entire careers, it operates like a Club -- club life still important there as it's always been.

I want to be part of this club  :crying: I was in a stage play of Pride and Prejudice once! Does that count! Will that gain me entrance!!

I want to be part of this club  :crying: I was in a stage play of Pride and Prejudice once! Does that count! Will that gain me entrance!!

:thumbsup:   

You could begin by joining Equity (formerly known as the British Actors' Equity Association), the trade union for actors, stage managers and models in the United Kingdom.

"It was formed in 1930 by a group of West End performers and, in 1967, it incorporated the Variety Artistes' Federation."

You have to have a unique professional name though, so you might have to pick something other than Baratheon!   :cheers:

It's fascinating reading, those accounts by actors who spent their entire careers, i.e. all their adult life until retirement -- and some never retired at all -- acting in BBC period / costume programs.  It was their JOB and they regarded it the way your uncle, who worked prosperously all his life for a single insurance company.  Not anything special, just what you got up in the morning to do, all day.  This was also true for the number of people who did costumes, scouted locations, were the tech people and so on.  It didn't pay the earth, but it paid more adequately than a lot of jobs, though not anything like what an a-list Hollywood actor would get, even the supporting actors.  More like the U.S. actors who spent their whole lives in a daytime soap opera.

Archived