Poldark [SPOILERS first season]

Veltigar

Alright, this episode was a bit slower. Last episode had a bit more action and that does wonders. This fells like one of those episodes that sets up all the events that will unfold next episode. Still, Cornwall looks gorgeous (wouldn't mind going there on a holiday) and the acting is still excellent. I'm curious about next episode :)

Yay a Poldark thread! I am Poldark mad at the moment, what with recently discovering the books and launching the Cornish Reading Challenge.

I love the show. Aiden Turner is indeed beautiful, as is Demelza. I like the chemistry between the two characters already. My SO wasn't too keen on it, but he can pipe down for an hour on Sunday evenings.

This is also the kind of series that makes one go to Cornwall...repeatedly.

The National Trust keeps on tweeting shots of the locations where various scenes were filmed and it really is making me want to get back there. One previous visit to Cornwall I rented a NT cottage on the north coast where they filmed a scene from Poldark in the first series.

Me too, it's so beautiful. It makes me miss Cornwall even more.

I really want to read the novels now; perhaps I will. It is making me miss my home sooooo bad. I really don't like the town where I am from much but I miss Cornwall so bad; it's such a beautiful county and I miss all the countryside and beaches - I keep recognizing places on Poldark!!!

Aiden Turner as Poldark...*fans self* probably one of THE most attractive men I have ever seen. :drool:

I'm really into this show already and the woman playing Demelza is beautiful.

I haven't seen the original, but everything I read about it has been nothing short of glowing. It's apparently a real classic. I'll be watching it after this season ends, but right now I want to stay unspoiled on main events.

Third episode was very good. I really liked how Ross and Demelza's relationship evolved. I thought it would take another episode or two to get to this point, so that was nice.

Anyone seen the original 1975 series??? Is it worth watching at all??? i'm proper obsessed with this show already lol. 3rd episode tonight, am excited.

I loved the 1975 series! Still do! Robin Ellis made a great Ross Poldark, and Angharad Rees a delightful, charming and fiery Demelza who totally eclipsed the tepid Elizabeth.

It's interesting that in the Poldark books (all of which I have read), Demelza is dark-haired and dark-eyed, while Elizabeth is a stately, cultured blond.

I'm not crazy about George Warleggan in the new adaption; he looks like he's wearing eyeliner. Why did they kill off his father, the powerful Nicholas Warleggan and have Uncle Cary be the Warleggan patriarch?

The actor who plays Ross' uncle Charles Poldark looks a bit like Brian Blessed, but isn't.

I've seen the actor who plays Jud before, but don't remember where.

Aiden Turner is doing a good job, though I'd prefer a slightly taller actor. Tomlinson is proving to be quite an intriguing Demelza, tall and rangy but with a catlike elegance and a definite personality; she's already more interesting than Elizabeth (which isn't saying much, Elizabeth seems to be a thanklessly dull role).

Why did they pick a fairly unattractive actor to play Francis Poldark, who was supposed to be charming and quite handsome in a pretty-boy way. The actor looks like a jowly chump.

I've seen the first two episodes via YouTube, since as far as I know they haven't been aired yet in the U.S.

The actor playing Jud usually plays villains. He's the cabdriver from the first episode of Sherlock for instance. He's also the villain in an episode of George Gently where he murders the new Endeavour Morse :D

Having just started the Poldark books, I'm looking forward to watching this series. I'll hopefully catch up on iPlayer at the weekend. Love scenic shots too btw, and Cornwall is so beautiful anyway

Is it actually good?

I switched onto the first episode for a minute or so and it was another show with a posh English guy staring out a window while having a passive aggressive conversation with a women sitting behind him so I switched it off assuming it was just going to be Pride and Prejudice or Downton Abbey but with funnier accents

I find the new show "Banished" much more compelling to watch than Poldark. Is anyone following it?

Yeah, and so far I have to disagree with you. The first episode was pretty bad. The second one was better, but I'm still not sold. I taped the third episode but I don't know when I'll get to it.

Archived