The Blackfyre

Lost Melnibonean

Key phrase "wants or wanted to" implying that their mission is not assuredly the same, and their attitudes play that out. Firstly, being willing to support Viserys. Secondly, there are few enough men from Westeros even in their ranks. Thirdly and most importantly, Harry Strickland, who doesn't even want to go through with the invasion.

I have to concede the "or wanted to" point. But they were not going to support Viserys; Viserys was going to support them. You have absolutely no idea how many men without Westerosi blood fill out the ranks of the Golden Company. You do know that three of the Golden Company's high officers are a Summer Islander with green feathers (green vs black), a Volantene with a black beard and red hair (black vs red), and a Lyseni who is not what he appears to be at first glance...

Not every captain was of Westerosi blood. Black Balaq, a white-haired Summer Islander with skin dark as soot, commanded the company's archers, as in Blackheart's day. He wore a feathered cloak of green and orange, magnificent to behold. The cadaverous Volantene, Gorys Edoryen, had replaced Strickland as paymaster. A leopard skin was draped across one shoulder, and hair as red as blood tumbled to his shoulders in oiled ringlets though his pointed beard was black. The spymaster was new to Griff, a Lyseni named Lysono Maar, with lilac eyes and white-gold hair and lips that would have been the envy of a whore. At first glance, Griff had almost taken him for a woman. His fingernails were painted purple, and his earlobes dripped with pearls and amethysts.

The Lost Lord, Dance

And Harry Strickland may be cautious, but that doesn't mean he's not committed (think of Doran)...

"Gold for four generations," Harry would boast,

The Lost Lord, Dance 24

Jon Connington is an unwitting stooge. First for Myles Toyne and Varys, and now for Varys and the Fat Man. While he suspects, and maybe knows deep down, that Aegon might not be Rhaegar's son, he's too concerned with his own honor (pride), so he's fooling himself.

Illyrio and Myles, on the other hand are like Daemon Blackfyre and Aegor Rivers. Illyrio is Daemon's heir, and Myles has succeeded Aegor as commander of the Golden Company, founded to place the Blackfyre on the Iron Throne. That contract writ in blood was Myles agreeing to put Illyrio's son on the Iron Throne.

Harry Strickland is "Gold for four generations." He told his high officers why they broke their contract with Myr, and the men then swore their swords to Aegon without any promise of gold. They know.

So when JC announced "Aegon" to the GC and reads their reactions as "they already knew," their reactions are really, "Actually, you're a dumbass and he's really a Blackfyre." I don't have the book in front of me, but that could fit my recollection. Nice touch, if so.

So when JC announced "Aegon" to the GC and reads their reactions as "they already knew," their reactions are really, "Actually, you're a dumbass and he's really a Blackfyre." I don't have the book in front of me, but that could fit my recollection. Nice touch, if so.

Well it works out better for everyone if fAegon is the only one who doesn't know he is fake. He is much more believable if he is not acting. I think his demise will come when he finds out the truth and is heartbroken by it, cuz clearly he is a smack-talker. Not nearly as perfect as Varys described him to be at all.

Well it works out better for everyone if fAegon is the only one who doesn't know he is fake. He is much more believable if he is not acting. I think his demise will come when he finds out the truth and is heartbroken by it.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that Aegon knows, have they? My point was about the Golden Company's reaction when JC presents Young Griff to them as Aegon -- i.e. he determines by their reactions that, "They already knew."

Absolutely.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that Aegon knows, have they? My point was about the Golden Company's reaction when JC presents Young Griff to them as Aegon -- i.e. he determines by their reactions that, "They already knew."

?? I was agreeing with you. I said fAegon is the only one who doesnt know.

There are a few out there who think that. But I can't see how that would work. Aegon is living a lie he believes to be true. He will experience a Luke Skywalker moment when Illyrio tells him, "No, I am your father."

There are a few out there who think that. But I can't see how that would work. Aegon is living a lie he believes to be true. He will experience a Luke Skywalker moment when Illyrio tells him, "No, I am your father."

Epic!!!

So you think JC knows? Anyway, I think I just wasn't tracking you very well. Sorry!

Well that's the question. Why does JC think of Rhaegar so much, like helping fAegon = being true to Rhaegar's memory?

but then he also refers to him as 'this boy' that one time, which is suspicious.

Ok so in JC's mind does anyone know why he would think of Rhaegar so much when fAegon is the subject?

JC is the only one out of Varys, Illyrio, Lemore, Haldon, and the GC who I am not sure if he knows Aegon is fake. The rest of them know.

The Golden Company is not fighting to install a Targaryen on the throne. They know who Aegon is. They wanted to use Daenerys's dragons, but they are seeking to crown Aegon, who they believe is the Blackfyre.

Talk about crackpot deductions....Jesus.

I have something big coming up tonight or tomorrow on this.

We don't need to be told too much about them.

Look at the name. black... fire.

What is black fire? Darkness.

GRRM has been telling us about darkness since the prologue of AGOT.

What? LM has given nothing but supportive textual evidence. What part is too crackpot for you to handle?

There is no textual evidence. Sorry.

There is no evidence that the GC give 2 shits about putting a Blackfyre on the throne. However, there is plenty of evidence suggesting otherwise.

There is no evidence that GC believe anything other than what JonCon says i.e Aegon is a Targaryen and son of Rhaegar.

There is no evidence that Aegon is Blackfyre. None whatsoever.

@Ser Eric, I am well aware of your belief that Aegon is exactly who he thinks he is. But instead of dismissing the theory as a whole, perhaps we could discuss the underlying assumptions? Why do you think The George inserted the description of the arms of House Toland of Ghost Hill in The Soiled Knight, Feast 13?

@Ser Eric, I am well aware of your belief that Aegon is exactly who he thinks he is. But instead of dismissing the theory as a whole, perhaps we could discuss the underlying assumptions? Why do you think The George inserted the description of the arms of House Toland of Ghost Hill in The Soiled Knight, Feast 13?

Not entirely correct. I am open to the idea that Aegon could be some random Valyrian boy Varys picked up. That's probably the likeliest answer tbh.

I don't recollect what chapter you are referring to?

Archived