Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets

JonCon's Red Beard

"So, Dany arrives to Westeros and say "ok, I accept and take responsibility for my brother's and father's crimes. They were in the wrong, I offer peace to the men who were behind their deaths". It's very civilized from her part but that would be a terrible development for her story, as it takes away the conflicts..

Even if she accepts that Aerys was in the wrong, she still has numerous justified reasons to be angry at the rebels of Robert's Rebellion for the crimes inflicted on the rest of her family that weren't Aerys.

I don't dislike her character but god her arc... is hard for me to appreciate it.

On another hand, it's 4 am here and i should get some sleep.

Fun thread.

The Meereen chapters are a bit frustrating to read, but mainly because Dany is so frustrated during her reign there.

My random thought is that Dany is Satan reborn!

Hahaha, not at all! Although I sense you're being sarcastic.

I do sense that Dany is being set up as an antagonist, though not intentionally. If anything, she is well-intended. This is the whole subplot within her own. She is inexperienced, but always well-intended. Smashing the slave trade is just about the most amazing thing that a ruler could try to do. But, as Martin shows, easier said than done. Her motives are great, but implementation is not as easy. She's bitten off more than she can chew in Meereen, even if freeing people to make their own decisions is for the greater good.

And then there's the "Aegon" issue. I believe that Daenerys will come across evidence in Pentos that leads her to believe (real or misleading) that Aegon is a Blackfyre and/or pretender. She will most likely attempt to revolt against this "pretender" only to be misjudged as a [insert "evil" term here] usurper trying to snatch the throne for herself.

I confess I find Darkstar both annoyingly lame and endearingly unintentionally hilarious at the same time. A friend of mine even coined new Rh'llorist prayer: The night is dark and full of Darkstar.

ETA:

I confess...I like the show just as much as I like the books.

I know that's heresy around here XD

Worry not, we'll fetch our pitchforks and torches right away.

I confess I find Darkstar both annoyingly lame and endearingly unintentionally hilarious at the same time. A friend of mine even coined new Rh'llorist prayer: The night is dark and full of Darkstar.

ETA:

Worry not, we'll fetch our pitchforks and torches right away.

The show not bad as some might think. I understand why they left out Edric Dayne. I understand why Daario doesn't have his flamboyant colors. Even if D&D completely leave out Griff and Young Griff... *ahem* I understand that they know bigger things than I.

ETA: Get those pitchforks ready, per the OP's own JonConning protests.

My random thoughts are:

I really get mad at Dany for not getting her ass to Westeros, she's not my favorite character but I really want her ther.

I was really mad at Arya when she killed Daeron, only because she was supposed to be no one, and no one wouldn't care if he was a NW's deserter.

Sometimes I think Ghost is either Rhaegar or Lyanna.

Sometimes I think that Varys really wants what's best for the smallfolks .

By the end of ADWD Tyrion wasn't one of my favorite characters anymore, I was scared of him.

I often wander how will Tyrion pay his debt to the sellswords he signed, because I think Casterly Rock is broke.

Other stuff that came to me:

- I am really tired of all overstatements about playing the Game. Someone doing what they can to survive and not being steamrolled is not the same as being desperate to have a 1/16 of an arse cheek on the throne.

- I feel like Westeros is kind of the hellhole of Planetos where anyone not from there wants to hightail out of there.

- I really love Braavos for unknown reasons.

- I find Arya's storyline the most inventive because hers is the one path I did not see coming at all. Seriously, who in book 1 thought, she is going to basically have a training montage detailing how she becomes part of a death cult assassin league? Not this reader. She might be the "typical tomboy female character" in period works but her arc is definitely more than just being a girl in a super misogynist man's world.

Jaime opinion that I don't know whether it is unpopular or not:

Besides the annoying cockiness and definite moral shadiness, I never thought Jaime was that bad anyway and also always thought it was great he killed Aerys even before he reveals the Wildfire plot.

Also, weirdly, his explanation of the situation of how Ned found him on the IT made me lose some sympathy for him. It's like "Yes dumbass, if you kill everyone who can corroborate your story then go back to the crime scene looking like you're expecting Ned to fall on his knees, he's going to judge you. Try to at least look like a distraught man who just had to do the unsavoury, but right thing. Not like a smug arse who stabbed Aerys because Daddy is here to watch your back."

Even with the bran thing, you could argue that he was choosing his own sister and children over the life of this kid he barely knnows. What bothered me the most about Jaime were not his actions but his attitude towards them. Like saying it's Bran's fault he pushed him out of the window because he was spying on them. Like "Yeah buddy, 7 yr old Bran was totally trailing you because he suspected you of shady activities... Keep telling yourself that." I would have much rather he said to Cat "Well, it was your kid or mine and I chose mine. Sue me." I think he might have after but that Bran blaming stuff was just embarrassing dude...

Confession:

1. i have put a moratorium on Dany and Cat specific threads for myself... I just get headaches. Talk about hyperboles (on BOTH sides).
  2. I sometimes want to go into threads with theories that I frankly, with all due respect, believe were pulled out of the OP's arse in 2 minutes and just type NO!, then never go back to it again. However, I have a desire of not being a d-bag so I restrain myself.

-I don't think Oberyn was that awesome. I find him, and his daughters, to be incredibly reckless and stupid. If it wasn't for Doran, Dorne would have been annihilated a while ago.

-You CAN be a fan of a morally bankrupt character without defending their actions :thumbsup:

Well, I am slightly judging you for your LF love... Just Kidding. I agree with the two above.

I love Oberyn in the show because of Pedro Pascal but really, what possessed him to go so far off script or simply not finish off the Mountain? The Dornish/Sand Snakes revenge fervour is cute but so shortsighted it had me rolling my eyes at least 10 full 360° cycles a page. I am not even getting started on Arianne and her harebrained scheme.

The Sand Snakes represent the fans.

"DO IT NOW! FINISH NOW! WE WANT! DO SOMETHING, OLD MAN!"

Doran is GRRM

"You want it fast or you want it good?"

That's why Doran will end up winning the game.

*slow nod of agreement upon realization that you are indeed correct*

I think that....

ASoIaF will be more of a traditional fantasy, narratively, than most people realize, just with a higher and more realistic body count. A perfectly happy ending right now would still be bittersweet.

Jon Snow and Asha will be allies

Ghost will howl and die as Jon wargs a dragon previously controlled by Euron

I secretly suspect that...

Varys and Illyrio have some other game going on than just Aegon Blackfyre

Jeyne Westerling really is pregnant (even though I understand the counterargument is stronger empirically)

I confess that....

I don't care about the negative consequences of magic or dragons, I love skinchanging and dragonriding and I want them to live

I want the Starks to defy the CoTF's pessimism and lead a new flowering of magic, even a 'skinchanger theocracy' if the dragons die.

Even though Ned is my favorite character I have a lot of resentment towards him like being friends with Robert and idolizing Jon Arryn, fighting side by side with the Lannisters agreeing to marry Sansa into the Lannister/Baratheon family, Robert's Rebellion etc.. It's all very irrational resentment.

Archived