The top ten bravest characters in ASOIAF

Brienne certainly. Cat, I'd call more resilient, but moral courage is another way to look at it; I don't think she'd ever back down where her children are concerned. On the other hand her choice to punish a child for his father's actions and to release Jaime are questionable when it comes to moral courage. I'd say it would be much braver to punish Ned for Ned and to hold herself to the same standard she expects of others in Riverrun. Neither are without complications though; easy to say and harder to do.

In terms of purely moral courage, the biggest moment would probably be Jon Arryn risking his life, house and realm to stand alone against a centuries old dynasty for the sake of two boys. We all know how it turned out, but at the time it must have seemed pretty close to suicidal.

True on Arryn. I was only thinking of acts we see. Without that, it's hard to figure out what he's thinking, what his options were. Lady Dustin keeps mentioning a "southron" alliance encouraged by maesters. Arryn may have called his banners, knowing that he wouldn't stand alone, and had powerful allies ready to rebel with him. Not that this would make his act any less honorable, but it would change things.

True on Arryn. I was only thinking of acts we see. Without that, it's hard to figure out what he's thinking, what his options were. Lady Dustin keeps mentioning a "southron" alliance encouraged by maesters. Arryn may have called his banners, knowing that he wouldn't stand alone, and had powerful allies ready to rebel with him. Not that this would make his act any less honorable, but it would change things.

The only barons he could count on were trapped in the Vale with him. Neither region stirred until Ned/Robert made improbable journeys home. And as we saw Arryn couldn't even count on complete support in the Vale.

The only barons he could count on were trapped in the Vale with him. Neither region stirred until Ned/Robert made improbable journeys home. And as we saw Arryn couldn't even count on complete support in the Vale.

Thank you :)

The lack of Clayton Suggs here upsets me

In the Stannis camp he had Asha go warn Stannis and thought it was a Roose host coming to them in the night and he pulls his sword ready to fight. He also was debating with Massey, wanting to keep pressing on and make camp by Winterfell and storm it lol, dumb or not he has balls.

Shit even Asha says so, she may hate him but he for sure has crazy courage

10, Mance - for being impossibly daring

9, Rickon - for his will to fight and easiness with family crypts, that is pretty impressive and scary for a such small child

8, The Reader - for balls to question Euron

7, Daenerys - for will to lead her people to the end of the world and back

6, Jaime - for being the only child of Tywin Lannister who refused to bend to his will

5, Jon - for iron willed determination to be a good leader no matter the personal cost or controversy

4, Bran - for being nine year old who is brave enough to travel trough a zombieland only in company of two other children, a man with mental disability and an undead

3, Arya - for always trying impossible before giving up, like fleeing KL or traveling to Braavos

2, Ned - for doing what is right no matter the cost, like keeping Jon secret and trying save Cersei's children even if he went wrongly at it

1, Davos - because he is brave enough not to blind himself when Stannis is doing something wrong (Edric) and risk everything for an innocent person, he also keeps going even when the situation is lost though he is free to turn around and run (going to Manderly despite his knowledge of the risks and that the chances for success are almost zero).

Thank you :)

My rationale is that we have seen those without much to lose risk it all, and we have seen those with a lot to lose risk something. We have seen some risk a lot for great gain, and we have seen some risk something just to preserve something else.

But Arryn had about as much to lose as anyone in the 7K, he had little to (seemingly) gain, and yet he put it all on the table against a king who burns traitors alive, and he did it for 2 boys. And even when he pulls off the improbable victory, we see it really only mean more cost for him; he devotes his life to the realm and doesn't seem to try and profit in any way. House Arryn is no more wealthy or powerful when he dies than it was before he raised his banners. So it was never even a material gamble, it was literally something he did because it was the right thing to do.

And Arryn isn't Ned. He otherwise shows a lot of political nouse, so I think it's fair to say he had a pretty good appreciation for what his odds were, but he did it anyway.

I agree with whoever says Sam is the bravest. He's pretty much scared of getting out of bed in the morning and does it anyway.

I think Dany is brave, she accepts her marriage to Khal Drogo and learns to lead the Dothraki, which strikes me as pretty brave. Some might think she's crazy, but I think that even so, her actions have shown a great deal of courage for a young woman of 15-16 years of age.

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Sansa. Yeah, all the Starks are pretty brave, and Sansa's no exception. As a girl of 12, she lived at court at King's Landing where she was threatened every day with some kind of abuse. She was beaten up by grown men, bullied by Cersei and Pycelle, and having to be bethrothed to Joffrey should be banned under the Geneva convention for human rights. She might not run away, rescue anybody or save any lives, but she faces her predicament with grace and fortitude.

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Sansa. Yeah, all the Starks are pretty brave, and Sansa's no exception. As a girl of 12, she lived at court at King's Landing where she was threatened every day with some kind of abuse. She was beaten up by grown men, bullied by Cersei and Pycelle, and having to be bethrothed to Joffrey should be banned under the Geneva convention for human rights. She might not run away, rescue anybody or save any lives, but she faces her predicament with grace and fortitude.

Eh, to me courage is demonstrated by doing, well, something. Sansa's KL moment is when she deflects Joff's anger at Dontos, risking herself for another, but otherwise she pretty much does what she's told. I don't think a refusal to spontaneously combust in the face of trauma is courage. Few people spontaneously combust. Overt compliance and survival runs the gamut from resilience to Vichy, and imo rarely has too much to do with 'courage', though it can be admirable in another sense. She's pretty brave during the BW, but again I don't see much choice.

Eh, to me courage is demonstrated by doing, well, something. Sansa's KL moment is when she deflects Joff's anger at Dontos, risking herself for another, but otherwise she pretty much does what she's told. I don't think a refusal to spontaneously combust in the face of trauma is courage. Few people spontaneously combust. Overt compliance and survival runs the gamut from resilience to Vichy, and imo rarely has too much to do with 'courage', though it can be admirable in another sense. She's pretty brave during the BW, but again I don't see much choice.

I'd personally say that calming the Ladies in Blackwater is definitely a courageous moment, as going through with Dontos's plan on the PW, and escaping King's Landing with him, and her stand in regards to her marriage with Tyrion. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to endure knowing about the slaughter of my entire family and maintain my composure in front of the Lannisters. I think I'm a Stark, I can be brave, goes a long way into making my point. Her last chapter, leading Sweetrobin's descent is pretty brave as well, and one of Alayne's best moments. Then again, most characters are pretty brave, as others have pointed out.

I'd personally say that calming the Ladies in Blackwater is definitely a courageous moment, as going through with Dontos's plan on the PW, and escaping King's Landing with him, and her stand in regards to her marriage with Tyrion. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to endure knowing about the slaughter of my entire family and maintain my composure in front of the Lannisters. I think I'm a Stark, I can be brave, goes a long way into making my point. Her last chapter, leading Sweetrobin's descent is pretty brave as well, and one of Alayne's best moments. Then again, most characters are pretty brave, as others have pointed out.

Well, as mentioned options. Additionally, when you're risking yourself for your own sake I'm not sure I call that courage. More nerve, I think. To me courage is the ability to knowingly risk yourself for something/someone else. Doing it for yourself is...I guess a kind of courage, but never one that's has ever really impressed me.

Many great responses here, some of which I was going to mention but got ninja'd. To add 'honorable mention' suggestions to those already listed in this thread (in no particular order):

* Edric Dayne - so young and he defends his knight's dead body in battle but continues to serve him as he is 'reanimated' time and again *shivers*

* Dog - defends Septon Meribald against wolves

* Osha - if, in fact, she took Rickon to seek shelter on Skagos - salute!

* Val - ventures out alone into the Other-infested Haunted Forest to retrieve Tormund

* Dunk - continues to do the right thing even when he is waaay over his head. He even takes on Lady Webber's forces alone, in armor, in a river...

* Howland Reed and children - Meera's story explains that Greywater Watch people are small, elusive, private, and reluctant to venture away from home. Howland travels on his little boat to spend a season with the mysterious denizens of the God's Eye, goes to a tourney after being assaulted, rides to battle with Eddard, and - wow - sends his beloved children on a perilous mission because he believes it is the right thing to do.

* Satin - facing venom and bile with fortitude and grace - every day

* Brave Dany Flint - she had to suspect somewhat that it would go poorly if the dregs of the kingdom discovered she was female - ugh

* Lyanna - if she posed at the KoLT, it would have gone poorly had she not won and protected her identity

* The White Fawn - living and fighting with brigands in the Kingswood

* Alys Karstark - spunk personified. Almost impossible trek to Castle Black to ask help from someone whose brother recently beheaded her father - and then doesn't blink an eye at marrying a formidable Thenn

* The Washerwomen who went with Mance - the chances of escaping alive were so slim but they focused on the mission

* Talbert Serry - an armored knight going up against Victarion on a ship?

* Lady Smallwood - she knows she doesn't have enough men to defend her walls but still gives the northmen attitude when they come seeking Jaime

* Missandei - the peaceful Naath does not prepare anyone for the atrocities of Essos, much less a child

* Botleys - Sawane stands up to Euron (unfortunately) and Tris continues to place himself in grave danger to support Asha

* Ellaria Sand - she speaks up against all the vengeance-seeking Dornish and then, as gut-wrenching as it must be, scatters her daughters so that they cannot all be slaughtered at once. Ouch.

Many acts of courage in ASOIAF. The most consistently brave and courageous, cutting out minor characters or off-screen characters.

1. Ned Stark. Not only in acts of valour and battle, but in morals as well. Not always wise, however. Also refused a king.

2. Davos Seaworth. Speaking of telling the hard truth's to king's you've seen burn people alive.

3. Brienne of Tarth. Ditto.

4. Robb Stark. Ditto.

5. Daenerys Targaryen. Winning over a horselord at age 13. Eating a horse's heart. Walking into the fire. Going to the House of Undying. Ploy with gaining the Unsulliled was brilliant, not to mentioned the thing with Drogo.

6. Arya Stark. Also long on honesty and courage but sometimes short on wisdom.

7. Jon Snow. Like his half-sister.

8. Tyrion Lannister. Going into battle twice as a dwarf is some kind of courage, particularly when Stannis was coming for him.

9. Mance Rayder. Continual acts of derring-do.

10. Catelyn Stark. So much courage to keep going for so long amidst so much heartbreak, right to the last.

Archived