What political ideology are you and why?

Hot Meat Pie

Jurassiconservative / Jurassiclibertarian

I'm pro a highly oxygenated atmosphere, pro super continents (nothing is too big to fail), and secret underground societies wherein our highly evolved and super-intelligent ancestors pull the strings of the world with their scaled claws.

I'm against meteorites, volcanoes, glaciers, mammals (those bastards should know their place), and continental drift.

FWIW, I voted for Romney in 2012.

Apparently I am "Next Generation Left" which I don't really mind because this group is considered the 'young' ones.

Anyway how does this matter anyway ? When the Old Ones Rise, are they going to differentiate between a liberal and a conservative, between Left and Right ?

Cthulhu is an aquatic anarcho-libertarian.

Hastur is a communist. He changed his color to yellow after the Soviets tuined the color red.

Nyarlothtep is a venture capitalist.

Azathoth is just hungry.

I'm in the middle, neither right nor left, its what I hate about America more than anything. The petty fighting between Democrats and Republicans, is killing this country slowly, but surely.

Hell, I can barely stand to watch the news because of it. My wife is a hard core Republican and watches Fox News religiously. They bring on a Democrat to discuss a subject, then, they blatantly make fun, interrupt and dismiss anything they have to say. I wonder why they even bother with the charade. Just say we're Fox News, home of Right wing extremism! And vice versa with Left wing news channels. I'd love to see a truly "fair and balanced" news channel.

News Hour remains, imo, the most balanced news show on TV (but that's PBS). NPR has a lot of good reporting, too, often going beyond the hot topics that eat up air time on the Fox/CNN bloc (like missing Malaysian airplane, reporting for 3 weeks!).

I also like Rachel Maddow from MSNBC, because she does a good job in presenting deeper backgrounds on stories before launching into commentary. She's clearly left, and makes no bones about it. But she does not lie or distort facts to make her points and she is often critical of the WH when it warrants (like the re-authorization to use military force without Congressional vote, drone programs, etc.).

Edited:

Also should be mentioned is the HBO news reporting series called VICE, which runs like 60 Minutes if 60 Minutes actually does in-depth reporting any more.

I will say though that watching the better news shows make me very depressed, most of the time, because of the reality of the world. So half the time now I opt for just plaing computer games instead of watching news shows or reading news articles.

Have you heard of the NPR? Or you counting only TV here?

No I have not, is it on the internet? Show me the way please, that's all I want from a news channel.

ETA: I'm guessing NPR stands for National Public Radio? Also, I agree with you about Maddow. MSNBC, is usually what I watch to get my news. The seem to be a little on the left, but again, they don't push it too hard. Fox news, I mean come on, I can't see how anyone can watch it and not know they Right-wing extremists. Its just totally blatant. If your on the right, like my wife, then you might not notice it. She certainly doesn't seem to think their biased. :dunno:

Don't get your hopes up.

npr as an entity is about as unbiased as Bill Maher.

Yea, I get what your saying. When you have these shows that involve multiple hosts in the "Crossfire" type of situation, its kinda hard to have an unbiased show. I just want the news, not what anchor thinks about the news. I'd like to think I can form my own opinion, if they just give me the facts on the situation at hand.

Yea, I get what your saying. When you have these shows that involve multiple hosts in the "Crossfire" type of situation, its kinda hard to have an unbiased show. I just want the news, not what anchor thinks about the news. I'd like to think I can form my own opinion, if they just give me the facts on the situation at hand.

NPR isn't that bad actually, nowhere near as bad as fox news, cnn, and msnbc. But it would be huge stretch to call it unbiased.

"Unbiased" news is pretty useless.

The job of a journalist is to provide background and collect sources, cross-check those sources, and then make it understandable to the general audience. It's impossible to be free of biases at every step of the process.

I also suspect that a lot of what gets called "biases" are atually short-hand for "I don't agree with this version of reality."

For instance, in report the news on fracking for natural gas, it's hard not to come across as "biased" against big energy companies because they are using obsfucation and legal strong-arming to get their way. If you report the truth, it will come across as a condemnation of these companies' tactics. That's not a "bias." That's just reality.

The trick to consuming news is to know that all of them have biases, but some are more up-front and transparent about it, and they make the effort to fully disclose and/or to offer countervening viewpoints.

The sin of Fox news outlets isn't that they have biases. Rather, it is that they distort, miss-represent, and outright lie, consistently in favor of the GOP, in their presentations.

No that's not what I mean by biases "I don't agree with this version of reality.", your description of what Fox news is what I mean.

And, I can't understand why you would have to be biased at any point. The job of a journalist is to present "FACTS" to the public. Whether you like those facts or not is irrelevant. I just don't want the facts twisted and distorted to further the agenda of said journalist.

Archived