What political ideology are you and why?

Hot Meat Pie

Athias - I've been engaged in this same discussion with libertarian absolutists on Youtube and it all boils down to cultural difference on the one hand (the social and economic disparities between the US and the UK mean that UK libertarians tend to be centre-right economic moderates), and misidentification of libertarianism as an unworkable utopian ideology, tending naturally towards feudalism, which it isn't, instead of the pragmatic ideology it is. The movement has its origins in the slightly left or right of centre, not in socially apragmatic mandates for absolute private wealth accumulation preservation, which in their extremes are counter-libertarian, because the preservation of one's own absolute entitlement on top of one's natural rights will always go against in some manner another person's natural rights. Libertarians are minarchists, not anarchists. Anarchism, as a utopian ideal which is unworkable and which naturally progresses through that unworkability to communism, which is even more unworkable, is an anti-libertarian ideal.

That's a bit tautological. The designated word represents a distinct notion, which remains objective regardless of what word represents it. Libertarianism being used colloquially doesn't mean that the colloquialism delineates the notion it represents. You're essentially arguing that anarchists, minarchists, and statists have a claim to the word because of modern convention alone. With that word, there's a tether to the notion of libertarianism. Otherwise, there'd be no need to ascribe libertarianism even if the recognition of the concept has become antiquated. Arguments over the scope of government presence are easily epitomized by arguments among minarchists, anarchists, and statists. So why libertarianism? Because the "obscure absolute principle" has presence.

I'm not saying libertarianism is being used colloquially to denote political libertarianism, I'm saying that's the dominant usage of the word today. There are actual politicians, pundits, and political parties using the word to describe themselves and they don't mean it to be what you take it to mean. That doesn't mean you can't use it your way (though you should expect people to take your meaning to be political libertarianism unless you offer further explanation), but it does mean it's ridiculous to tell people who are quite sensibly referring to extreme or moderate libertarianism (as the word is dominantly used) that they're wrong because in your version it's either adherence or not. They aren't speaking to your version, they aren't trying to say they're extreme or moderate adherents to a moral rule. You want at once to say these people are not libertarians and also tethered to a specific definition of libertarianism that patently, and even by your insistence, they do not hold to! This is just bizarre straw manning, accusing them of somehow someway holding to your definition when they do not, so you can say that they do not in fact hold to your definition.

'workability' is kinda comical as a standard for political economy & political philosophy. anything that existed historically could reasonably be considered 'workable,' unless 'workability' is unrelated to actual history, whereas anything that's merely been dreamt up on paper (pure capitalism, pure communism, &c), but has not actually been implemented historically, has not been subject to testing in the laboratory of history and upon which we might not have a rational opinion as to its 'workability.'

the notion that soviet style communism is 'unworkable,' e.g., is difficult to take seriously, considering that it lasted in some form for decades after being busted up twice by rightwing invasions, which invasions it nevertheless destroyed. it may not be a system in which any of us would prefer to live, but there's no need to go counterfactual on it.

Not really. If you concede liberty to any standard that would contradict it, then you are not conforming to a libertarian standard. For libertarians, liberty is [should be] the greatest good. ...

And then one has to define liberty.

Which is why I semi-jockingly self-defined as a libertarian in Bank's Culture. Liberty itself is meaningless when it can not be expressed. And in general it takes limiting liberties for everyone to optimize actual liberty for anyone.

I have been reading this here thread trying to decide where exactly I sit on the political spectrum and in the end it just comes down to 1) a belief in equal rights for all people and 2) all means all.

Existential nihilist. I don't believe the human race is anymore important than any other species on the planet earth. Indeed on a universal scale no life on earth is important.

I do believe in evolution as a concept. Therefore I believe in society because through evolution the human species has evolved to live that way. I also believe that in evolution there is truly only one law. Survival of the fittest. Species that can adapt to a change in environment survive. Those that can't die off. It's been this way for millions of years and will be that way long after mankind has shifted its mortal coil.

In case you couldent figure it out, its "I am a real American". Long live THE HULKSTER!

Yeah, I found it, eventually

It's just that, between the title and YT blocking it in Canada it seemed that Hogan and Google had teamed up to wave a giant middle finger in front of my face.

Archived