Heresy 165

Black Crow

Ah you miss my meaning. If I remem ber correctly Aemon chose to go to the Wall.Marwyn I think was speaking of why Aemon was allowed to be at the Wall when he could have been Archmaester by now.If he was he would have been at the Citadel and I don't think they wanted him there for possibly the reason Marwyn started. ...His blood couldn't be trusted.

Edit:To add text

"The world the Citadel is building has no place in it for sorcery or prophecy or glass candles, much less for dragons. Ask yourself why Aemon Targaryen was allowed to waste his life upon the Wall, when by rights he should have been raised to archmaester.His blood was why. He could not be trusted. No more than I can(AFFC,Sam 45)"

Note specifying that his blood made him untrustworthy.

The decision was Aemon's as he himself made perfectly clear to Jon. The Citadel allowed him to go because they had no time for dragons etc. and so made no objection to his leaving them, which is not the same as getting rid of him because they feared him.

Maybe the Azor Ahai story is of someone that figured out how to light a glass candle? :dunno:

Or maybe the Azor Ahai and Last Hero stories are of someone that knew how to light the obsidian within a Valyrian Sword....

I brought this up before,if you look through it,someone might be looking back.Its therefore not a safe channel so to speak.This is one of the big big reasons about the Thoros incident not being him,which i kept bringing up.

And as you remember i also brought up Mel and her flames as an example.Fire is one such portal.Not only was Mel seeing BR,he was seeing her.

When she looked through her fires she could feel the immense cold on the otherside which means the powers of The Others can come(reach) through the flames.

The candles are yet another such portal,the same thing might apply to it when lit.

Sure, though Mel may feel the cold because she's hacked into their network, rather than them emanating cold through the flames, which seems queer.

Off topic:

Considering the complexity of the glamours Mel is able to produce, who knows what Stannis really has in his scabbard. It could well be merely a shadow, a stick, a rubber chicken...

The decision was Aemon's as he himself made perfectly clear to Jon. The Citadel allowed him to go because they had no time for dragons etc. and so made no objection to his leaving them, which is not the same as getting rid of him because they feared him.

But it may be that they never offered him a place as archmaester/grandmaester because that would put him in the inner circle and hist Targaryen affiliation would make him pro magic. Obviously in this view the Valyrian archmaester wouldn't be part of the inner circle, as we can see Marwyn is clearly ostracized.

Considering the complexity of the glamours Mel is able to produce, who knows what Stannis really has in his scabbard. It could well be merely a shadow, a stick, a rubber chicken...

I think we all know it's the half of Tormund's member the bear bit off.

But it may be that they never offered him a place as archmaester/grandmaester because that would put him in the inner circle and hist Targaryen affiliation would make him pro magic. Obviously in this view the Valyrian archmaester wouldn't be part of the inner circle, as we can see Marwyn is clearly ostracized.

They clearly had no problem with inducting and training him as a maester and royal patronage and connections are generally held to be good things. As in any institution elevation is clearly a matter of office politics as much as ability. Maester Aemon is very clear that that he needed to escape to the Wall because of royal not citadel politics, while Marwyn is a dissident with axes to grind and not exactly an impartial far less reliable interpreter of events.

Or maybe the Azor Ahai and Last Hero stories are of someone that knew how to light the obsidian within a Valyrian Sword....

Sure, though Mel may feel the cold because she's hacked into their network, rather than them emanating cold through the flames, which seems queer.

Voice the point I was making quite clearly I think was that its not one way.She may have opened up the way, but she could not keep what's on the other side from coming through.

BC I disagree, not only does the above quote read different, but in the sentence preceding that Marwyn says to Sam had Aemon made it he would have been killed.

Yes but that's Marwyn speaking and he clearly has the words Do not trust this man tattooed on the cheeks of his arse in big bold letters.

Funny, I feel like he's the only trustworthy one there.

...because of that tattoo! Lol

Yes but that's Marwyn speaking and he clearly has the words Do not trust this man tattooed on the cheeks of his arse in big bold letters.

The man has curious taste in arts and locations no doubt and is reported to have held the company of peoples who make you squint your eye.He seems like a seeker to be honest,someone who is searching to lear moe about the Higher mysteries.But i wouldn't label him as untrustworthy,he seems to be the only one more or less that's on the up and up.Not only about himself but his observations and advice.

He's a man with his own agenda, which isn't the same thing - especially as he has an unhealthy interest in dragons

Who doesn't have their own agenda in this series?And who among them doesn't come off as a Pedophile,stalker,Zealot etc.With regards to Marwyn and his interest in Dragons,seeing as Maester Aemon wanted to go to her and felt it important that Sam ensure that the Citadel send a Maester to her ,Marwyn may feel he can fill that role most effectively.

As to what his agenda maybe with respect to Dany's Dragons good or bad it's going to play apart somewhere.

Agreed wolfmaid. Agendas are everywhere. If anything, I respect Marwyn more for going against the grain and moving in the forbidden circles he's chosen. Same goes for Mel, as much as I dislike her because of her glamourously-hidden tattoos, I respect her as a rebel of her faith.

The Citadel is no friend to magic. No friend to the fantasy genre LOL. They are the scholarly ungifted, compensating for their lack of magic with herbology, history, medicine, metallurgy, ravenry, etc. Theirs is a hilt with no blade, and they want to keep it that way. A firm handle to grasp, that offers little and less.

As to what his agenda maybe with respect to Dany's Dragons good or bad it's going to play a part somewhere.

So far as the story goes, certainly, but I see him more as someone who wants to play with magic and use it, contemptuous of restraint - a restraint fully justified when it comes to dragons and such-like manifestations of evil.

So far as the story goes, certainly, but I see him more as someone who wants to play with magic and use it, contemptuous of restraint - a restraint fully justified when it comes to dragons and such-like manifestations of evil.

I don't like seeing dragons so two-dimensionally demonized, but I must admit it is hard to see what good they can offer. Doom, dread, fire and blood sounds about as pleasant as Darkness, cold, ice and blood.

Just want to mention that Aemon is smart. Smart enough to know where he's not wanted, when he should get while the gettin's good, and how to come up with a good story to leave archenemies on amicable terms.

Every Targaryen, ever, has been born into a world immersed in both secular and mysical politics. Aemon clearly knew how to navigate both.

I don't like seeing dragons so two-dimensionally demonized, but I must admit it is hard to see what good they can offer. Doom, dread, fire and blood sounds about as pleasant as Darkness, cold, ice and blood.

That's the point which the synopsis makes clear; Westeros is menaced by both and Marwyn strikes me as so impatient of restraint in embracing them as to be literally reckless of the consequences.

Archived