Strongest Castle/(s)? When it comes to lasting a heavy siege?

Wavey Sauce

I would have to say grey water watch would be really hard to besiege. First off the castle moves by use of magic. The castle also is surrounded by swamp that is filled with cranogmen. So any besieging army would have to deal with animals attacking them, trying to find food or bring it through the swamp, guerrilla attacks, and the castle moving throughout the neck.

What do people think of Highgarden? I never see it mentioned on these things

Highgarden looks pretty and has a lot of nice things in it, but there's no mention of any kind of defense that would make it comparable to the Rock, Eyrie and Storm's End.

Unless the besieging enemies somehow got lost in the labyrinth between the walls...

Are there other minor castles described?

In the Dunk and Egg stories there a descriptions of Ashford(Ashford), Standfast(Osgrey), Coldmoat(Webber) and Whitehall(Butterwell)

From the main books there are Ten Towers(Harlaw), the Darry castle where Lancel had his recovery, Griffon's Roost(Connington), Raventree Hall(Blackwood) and of course LF's mighty tower on the Fingers

The Wall castles would be the unquestioned best if they were allowed to defend from both directions.

Other than that I'd go with the Eyrie.

possibly Casterly Rock not enough info about it.

Taking the Eyrie is simple, send 20 men with hammers to destroy a portion of the path that leads up to the Eyrie, and then just forget all about it. Let those unfortunate souls who for some misguided reason decided to defend it starve and freeze to death.

Honestly, building Eyrie was about as wise as building a castle on top of mt. Everest. Probably less smart, because there is more than 1 way down from the Everest.

Storm's End is not on my list. It seems to be invulnerable to storm, but to long sieges, well, not so much. It nearly fell during Robert's Rebellion. If Davos hadn't come sailing in with his onions, the defenders would have starved, and the castle eventually fallen. The attackers had no disadvantage, they simply set up camp outside the walls and had ships patrolling the bay. Then all they needed was to wait, and the defenders were helpless. Sure, the castle is hard to attack, but besieging it isn't a tenth as difficult as Sandstone or Moat Cailin.

Storm's End's walls were only erected to protect the besiegers from Stannis Baratheon, so I doubt it.

The Twins are probably really difficcult to siege, without excelent cooridation with men on the other side of the river, the Freys can just escape through the other castle.

What would somewhere like Starfall be like to siege? It's on an island, so its surrounded by water from the river and near the mouth to the sea. But the Torrentine is described as quite a ferocious river would that work in the favour of the besieged?

But why would you besiege the Eyrie if there is an army left in the Vale? You just ride by the castle and deal with the army, it has no sizable garrison who could harras supply lines and it doesn't block an important route, the only value it has is keeping the Arryn family safe, but that becomes moot the second the vale loses it's army.

The same applies to SE using the whole army of the Reach to besiege SE was either bad writing or a clever ruse by the tyrells to keep 'neutral' in the rebellion

if you want to deal with the army first you either would have to go from castle to castle and storm them or lay sieges while other lords harass your supply lines or you would have to fight the army on a battlefield of their choice, giving them a huge advantage. and btw keeping the ruling family save IS the most important goal in a defensive war in westeros. because as long as they are in power their bannermen and their people have a reason to fight the invaders. there are two ways to win a war: 1. defeat the rulers or 2. defeat everybody else.

the arryns could easily wait for the invaders laying siege on the eyrie while assembling an army out of reach from the enemy which can attack at any given time.

oh and i think it is quite obvious that the tyrells used the siege on SE to keep their army out of the fighting and see how the war goes.

Taking the Eyrie is simple, send 20 men with hammers to destroy a portion of the path that leads up to the Eyrie, and then just forget all about it. Let those unfortunate souls who for some misguided reason decided to defend it starve and freeze to death.

Honestly, building Eyrie was about as wise as building a castle on top of mt. Everest. Probably less smart, because there is more than 1 way down from the Everest.

and what makes you think the defenders would just let that happen? it is easy to shoot some arrows from above. not to mention that you would first have to pass the gates of the moon which are part of the eyries defense.

I would have to say grey water watch would be really hard to besiege. First off the castle moves by use of magic. The castle also is surrounded by swamp that is filled with cranogmen. So any besieging army would have to deal with animals attacking them, trying to find food or bring it through the swamp, guerrilla attacks, and the castle moving throughout the neck.

the best defense greywater watch has are myths and legends. i don't think it actually qualifies as a castle.

It's utterly useless in a war though

No, it's not. Gravity still works, it's a massive force multiplier. If you leave it untaken it still houses a hostile force, therefore accomplishing the entire point of castles going back to the Carolingian burgs.

No, it's not. Gravity still works, it's a massive force multiplier. If you leave it untaken it still houses a hostile force, therefore accomplishing the entire point of castles going back to the Carolingian burgs.

I know the Eyrie has an advantage in where its positioned, but its also a very small castle and was mainly built for show. I'm not sure how durable its walls are which haven't been tested as the castle relies on distance and gravity to essentially keep itself out of a fight. I do wonder if an enemy could destroy or at least do a lot of damage to it if they had enough high velocity trebuchets and just relentlessly bombard it into rubble.

500 men at the very best, and they will have a hard time coming down to you.

For example, he has to force a SSM to tell holding SE was important for Robert in his rebelion. But really it makes little sence.

1. Keeping men in the Stormlands makes it impossible to the lords to organize a resistance;

2. Symbolic value- Robert can't even hold his own castle;

3. Getting SE gets the Targaryens Stannis and Renly as hostages.

See what happened to Robb when Theon took WF and you see the significance of 2 and 3.

Archived