Hinges of the World

Archmaester Drew

Melisandre states that the Wall is one of the Hinges of the World, and her power is greater there. Asshai and the Shadow Lands is presumably another.

What is articulated by these hinges, and what other locations may be additional hinges?

Thoughts? :)

Everything that tries to go inland on Sothyros apparently disappears.

I think that's more to do with all the natural dangers lurking there - diseases, cannibal hominids, dinosaurs, wyverns, etc.

Though the "Lost City" in the jungle is pretty interesting

Okay, so we have several likely candidates, but what 'hinges' at these locations?

Are these places where this world articulates with another?

These appear to be nodes of increased magical power, but why? Is it the fact that it is a node of power that makes it a hinge, or is it being a hinge that makes it a node of power? Or are these both associated with some other unknown factor?

:)

Another definition of hinge is "depend on". Perhaps the civilized world depends on these hinges to survive huge threats, and their power makes them a hinge?

Wall: Others

Five Forts: Mutants, Demons, Sorcerors

Yeen: Wyverns, Disease, Dinosaurs

Seastone Chair: Krakens, Sea Dragons

Hightower: ?????????

Toad Stone: Toad people?

Perhaps the Lorathi Mazes and Leng Cities are similar in purpose.

the question should probably be what exactly does she mean by "hinges" of the world?

Agree on that.

I find @Ratbane's comment reasonable tbh.

Another definition of hinge is "depend on". Perhaps the civilized world depends on these hinges to survive huge threats, and their power makes them a hinge?

Wall: Others

Five Forts: Mutants, Demons, Sorcerors

Yeen: Wyverns, Disease, Dinosaurs

Seastone Chair: Krakens, Sea Dragons

Hightower: ?????????

Toad Stone: Toad people?

Perhaps the Lorathi Mazes and Leng Cities are similar in purpose.

You're citing oily black stones as hinges. I don't think they all can be count as one...

I'm assuming we don't see anything east of Quarth in the books, the rest of it is purely world building unfortunately (the Five Forts look really interesting though, as do the 3 cities in the Bones mountains and Asshai obviously :( ), so if these "hinges" have any physical impact on the storyline it would have to be focused at the Wall, perhaps referencing other locations.

However, does the Wall retain its value as a "hinge" or magic hot-spot if it is destroyed? Assuming the Horn of Winter puts a hole in it before the Others invade, does the Wall lose its magical function like a bucket with a hole does? Or would such a breach be warded in a way similar to the cave where Bran finds the Children? This could apply to Valyria and the 14 Fires too, maybe they "overheated" their magic engine and it blew? haha

Crackpot theorising and hypothetical questions aside though, the Wall is a very impressive, very magic place, soon to be destroyed at least in part. The only real question is i) what happens to magic when the Wall goes down (as it has been noted that magic was lessened after the dragons died)

and ii) can the Wall go back up? (Bran, I'm looking at you).

I only mention the Wall going back up as I assume neither humanity nor the Others will be totally destroyed or agree peace. So something has to be done after the world goes to hell to stop it happening for at least another 8000 years

Archived