The Rogue Assassin

JohnBlackSnow

What is the force driving for all the actions Jaqen has done throughout the books? What was the purpose of getting arrested, of almost dying and why change his face after befriending Arya? Can it be that the FM were specifically targeting Arya as a FM recruit. The variables seem to suggest that recruiting Arya was more important than Infiltrating the Citadel.

Some think it has to do with how kill dragons, as it is rumoured that the Citadel had a hand in the demise of the last Targeyen dragons. but the thing is, Jaqen was in westeros before Dany hatched her Dragons. FM dabble in magic so it can be assumed that premonitions factor in in their way of operations.

I think he went rouge a long time ago, and has been hired by people who can't or aren't willing to pay the prices faceless men charge.

So I'm personally thinking some organisation has hired him to infiltrate the citadel, so he can discover secret information about dragons and possibly a way to kill them.

That might explain why he's not following the faceless men's code but instead his own, by killing more people than his target. That might be why someone or some group hired him because they think this isn't a job for someone following FM rules.

I know shit happens, but what can warrant a black cell? Murder? The first rule of FM, make sure that it does not lead to you, be it a botched assassination attempt. The purpose of Jaqen's arrest was to recruit Arya. BR has his Winged Wolf, the FM have their own Child of Death.

Interesting take JBS... but why would this then lead Jaqen to the Citadel?

I tend to think this has nothing to do with Arya, and more to do with attaining knowledge.

Obviously Jaqen was placed in the hands of the NW on purpose, with the purpose of infiltration. The library at Castle Black is 2nd only to the Citadel. It's a little out of the ordinary (disregard Jon Snow & Benjen) to volunteer service to the Watch, so being captured was Jaqen's only realistic mode of entry.

When his attempt to become a black brother failed, his next (more difficult and time consuming) attempt was to become Pate in Oldtown.

The question remains, what knowledge are the FM seeking?

I know shit happens, but what can warrant a black cell? Murder? The first rule of FM, make sure that it does not lead to you, be it a botched assassination attempt. The purpose of Jaqen's arrest was to recruit Arya. BR has his Winged Wolf, the FM have their own Child of Death.

That would require prophetic powers well beyond anything remotely possible.

It seems that Jaqen follows the Red God of Light rather than Him of Many Faces. That's another indication that he is no longer a FM. If so, perhaps he is connected to the Red Priests of Essos.

I agree with this.

He frequently says red God.

So maybe he's trying to acquire this information so he can destroy, meaning dany's dragons live and save the world. As the red priests have predicted. Kinda

What is the force driving for all the actions Jaqen has done throughout the books? What was the purpose of getting arrested, of almost dying and why change his face after befriending Arya? Can it be that the FM were specifically targeting Arya as a FM recruit. The variables seem to suggest that recruiting Arya was more important than Infiltrating the Citadel.

I think you've got a point

Think about it.

- Westeros is heavily indebted to the Iron Bank. Its almost impossible for the former to pay the debts. As usual the Iron bank make contingency plans just in case the King doesn't pay the debt

- They send Syrio Forel to Kingslanding to scout who could possibly replace the Baratheon king. Syrio infiltrate as Arya Stark's dancing master but soon start liking the girl.

- Things start getting messy in Kingslanding, News that Cathelyn had arrested Tyrion travel fast to Kingslanding and Eddard is wounded by Jamie Lannister. Syrio contact Jaqen (a sleeper assassin ready to pounce when the time is right) begging him to keep the girl safe if shit hits fan

- Jaqen meets Arya and start testing whether she is truly the right candidate for the role. The girl is bright, determined and wouldn't mind playing dirty if she has to.

-Jaqen saves her and asks her to come to Braavos with him, she refuses and he leaves her. However he gives her a coin which would save her arse if she changes her mind

^The Iron Bank held at max 1/6th of the crowns debts at the beginning of the story and they had no problem making payments. Now that the Faiths debt has been erased, and since whoever takes the Iron Throne will obviously be wiping out the debt owed to the Lannisters, which is fully 1/2 the total, means that only around 2/6ths of the original debt will remain, making It very easy for anyone to pay back the bank in the end. Obviously Stannis is incurring new debts, but still, the debt will be smaller than it was to begin with.

There is no way for the FM to have known how things would play out with Arya, and there is no reason that Jaqen could not have simply volunteered for the watch, we know people volunteer, and that people run there to avoid a more serious punishment, either could have worked. I use to think Jaqen being Syrio was stupid, but now I give it a rating of plausible because it does explain how he wound up in the black cells, and if he changed his face while down there it would explain why Rorge and Biter were afraid of him despite seemingly being afraid of nothing else.

Assuming he was not Syrio it is possible that Jaqen was looking threw whatever library Kings Landing has and was caught, and that the act was considered espionage because he was a foreigner and that could explain why it was considered so bad and he was considered dangerous. If he was able to have completed his look threw kings landings Library than heading to the Citadels makes sense as well. Considering the fact that JaqenPate was with Marywn and Marwyn is now leading, taking with him at least 1 of the glass candles, it is likely that the candles are not what he is after, so that leaves the book The Death of Dragons. We know that the FM gather information as the Kindly Man has Arya simply learn new things all the time, so it is entirely possible that Jaqen was simply gathering intel and that as the situation in Westeros and the world changed, so did Jaqens mission, in that it became more useful to get info on Dragons than the goings on in the capitol.

And how would Jaqen know to target Arya?

Jaqen only remained close to Arya until his debt was paid. He left immediately afterwards.

It seems that Jaqen follows the Red God of Light rather than Him of Many Faces. That's another indication that he is no longer a FM. If so, perhaps he is connected to the Red Priests of Essos.

His only reference to the Red God is that Arya has stolen three deaths from the Red God. I think he just means that Arya has saved three men from dying by fire. Maybe the red God gets all the deaths by fire to the faceless men. If Arya had saved him from drowning he might say she had taken three deaths from the drowned god. If she had saved them from execution by the Faith of 7 then she would have taken deaths from the Stranger. If she had saved them from being killed by an evil goat then she would have saved them from the Goat of Qohor. Et cetera.

His only reference to the Red God is that Arya has stolen three deaths from the Red God. I think he just means that Arya has saved three men from dying by fire. Maybe the red God gets all the deaths by fire to the faceless men. If Arya had saved him from drowning he might say she had taken three deaths from the drowned god. If she had saved them from execution by the Faith of 7 then she would have taken deaths from the Stranger. If she had saved them from being killed by an evil goat then she would have saved them from the Goat of Qohor. Et cetera.

No, he has said it more than once.

He is an interesting character and I got no idea.

I think he is affiliated with he Red God because of what he said to Arya,(open to it being a lie) which would have meant that he loosely saw the future and the important players through a red priest.

I think he was specifically looking to befriend Arya and to go North to the Wall, as the powers are strong there. I hate this guy is really this guy theories, but I could believe that Jaquen is Syrio, I have no idea how he got into the black cells, but it's at least possible. I also don't know whether he's looking for stuff associated with the WW or dragons at the Citadel. It may be that the Red God placed Mel with Jon and Arya with Jaquen because of their importance and that's what's been guiding Jaquen, who is a trained assassin for the red god.

No, he has said it more than once.

Do you have additional quotes to his reference to the Red God? I could only find the one.

I do agree with above, the Red god is one of the faces of the many faced god, and that's how he choose to bring his gift to them (fire).

It may be that the Red God placed Mel with Jon and Arya with Jaquen because of their importance and that's what's been guiding Jaquen, who is a trained assassin for the red god.

So are you saying he is a trained assassin for the Red God and not the faceless men? Or he was trained by the FM and left them and started taking up as an assassin for the Red God?

I agree with this.

He frequently says red God.

So maybe he's trying to acquire this information so he can destroy, meaning dany's dragons live and save the world. As the red priests have predicted. Kinda

He mentions the Red God R'Hllor as the one who must be repaid for the three deaths denied in the flames, when Arya helped him escape (along with Rorge and Biter).

He serves the Many-Faced God; as the MFG's servant, he is familiar with the ways and traditions of the other gods.

He mentions R'Hllor only because the deaths denied were deaths by fire. Nothing more.

Archived