19 Child Molestation Charges and Counting

Agree completely. I'm just relaying the fact that I saw the Dunham talking point brought up it many threads where the discussion turned political. Including this thread.

Yep, I pretty much only see the Dunham thing brought up by right wing Christianist dead-enders playing moral relativism with the Duggars' protection of their in-house child molester.

By the way, it's pretty clear that the Duggars are lying fucking scumbag liars who lied in that Fox News softball "interview" to protect their molesting spawn, but they don't use birth control and they preach the subjugation of women while yelling Jesus' name, so I guess they are worthy moral paragons and stuff.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/duggar-fox-interview-inconsistencies

This is a mess. I felt really bad for the daughters last night. It was pretty clear that regardless of how messed up the handling of the Josh's molestation was they had deposited away the memory and moved on with life. Having this exposed has rocked them. It sucks for the sisters but ultimately you have to expose this behavior for the protection of anyone who is around Josh.

I've watched this show for many years and looking back on it Josh always behaved with an underlying sense of entitlement that the other kids never displayed. I always just assumed the sheer volume of kids required some sort of hierarchy to maintain an orderly environment but in this case there was a lot more going on.

I've never watched the show. I'm not really clear on exactly what this Josh person really did to his sisters. Without knowing the details I sort of respect the fact that the parents did go to the police, even if they knew Josh wasn't going to be charged, they established a paper trail in case this happened again after the intervention, I can't say they swept it totally under the rug. On the other hand, why are you going to do this reality TV show and pose yourself off as this almost perfect family, when you have skeletons in your closet like that?

Okay, well if this is all about an incident which occurred when she was seven fucking years old then people need to STFU with all the child molester and sexual predator shit. It's disingenuous, ridiculous, and frankly idiotic. And to compare her to Josh Duggar based on that one incident is beyond disgusting. I don't give a shit about what side of the political line you fall on, or what political point you're trying to win in the culture war, stop being assholes.

From what I seen she apparently continued on the behavior for years. Could it not be true? Sure. But she is disgusting to me either way. Especially by painting it as normal kid behavior.

From what I seen she apparently continued on the behavior for years. Could it not be true? Sure. But she is disgusting to me either way. Especially by painting it as normal kid behavior.

Yep, she did something you find weird at the age of seven so she's a disgusting human being. And it's definitely appropriate to compare her to Josh Duggar.

Yep, I pretty much only see the Dunham thing brought up by right wing Christianist dead-enders playing moral relativism with the Duggars' protection of their in-house child molester.

By the way, it's pretty clear that the Duggars are lying fucking scumbag liars who lied in that Fox News softball "interview" to protect their molesting spawn, but they don't use birth control and they preach the subjugation of women while yelling Jesus' name, so I guess they are worthy moral paragons and stuff.

To be fair " lots of families have it worse", and " they forgave him", who are we to question why little children should be alone with him and feel safe?

Yep, she did something you find weird at the age of seven so she's a disgusting human being. And it's definitely appropriate to compare her to Josh Duggar.

I am putting spoilers because again, I don't want this to be the Lena Dunham thread. Again, this could be all a case of her being a shit writer, but her response to the whole thing is horrid.

As she grew, I took to bribing her for her time and affection: one dollar in quarters if I could do her makeup like a “motorcycle chick.” Three pieces of candy if I could kiss her on the lips for five seconds. Whatever she wanted to watch on TV if she would just “relax on me.” Basically, anything a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl I was trying.

and

I shared a bed with my sister, Grace, until I was seventeen years old. She was afraid to sleep alone and would begin asking me around 5:00 P.M. every day whether she could sleep with me. I put on a big show of saying no, taking pleasure in watching her beg and sulk, but eventually I always relented. Her sticky, muscly little body thrashed beside me every night as I read Anne Sexton, watched reruns of SNL, sometimes even as I slipped my hand into my underwear to figure some stuff out.

I am putting spoilers because again, I don't want this to be the Lena Dunham thread. Again, this could be all a case of her being a shit writer, but her response to the whole thing is horrid.

As she grew, I took to bribing her for her time and affection: one dollar in quarters if I could do her makeup like a “motorcycle chick.” Three pieces of candy if I could kiss her on the lips for five seconds. Whatever she wanted to watch on TV if she would just “relax on me.” Basically, anything a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl I was trying.

and

I shared a bed with my sister, Grace, until I was seventeen years old. She was afraid to sleep alone and would begin asking me around 5:00 P.M. every day whether she could sleep with me. I put on a big show of saying no, taking pleasure in watching her beg and sulk, but eventually I always relented. Her sticky, muscly little body thrashed beside me every night as I read Anne Sexton, watched reruns of SNL, sometimes even as I slipped my hand into my underwear to figure some stuff out.

I still don't see how you could possibly compare any of that to Josh Duggar molesting five girls. Put your fucking politics away and recognize that by over exaggerating Lena Dunham's actions you are minimizing the seriousness of Josh Duggar's crimes.

I still don't see how you could possibly compare any of that to Josh Duggar molesting five girls. Put your fucking politics away and recognize that by over exaggerating Lena Dunham's actions you are minimizing the seriousness of Josh Duggar's crimes.

I don't compare them, I find all people who do disgusting things to their sibling to be horrid, disgusting people. Numbers don't really matter to me. Why are we talking of my politics?

THe only reason I even brought Dunham up was i was tired of the old arguement 'liberals hate on old Joshy, but say nothing about Dunham' simply idiotic. I see that was a mistake in itself for this derailment.

Hypocrisy to me is the only unforgivable sin.

If that was the ONLY THING that was universally unacceptable, most everything would sort itself out in due course.

ETA: Jesus was fairly adamant about this as well.

The only unforgivable sin?

That seems a bit odd if it's the only one...

and

I work with child protection. This kind of stuff happens more than you think and people get through it fine. I mean, what do you think happens in a household with three kids and a parent in a one bedroom apartment or even a studio?

ETA: I'm being generous with my space too.

I work with child protection. This kind of stuff happens more than you think and people get through it fine. I mean, what do you think happens in a household with three kids and a parent in a one bedroom apartment or even a studio?

ETA: I'm being generous with my space too.

As someone who had to share a bed with a sister and mother for years,then with a older cousin, I never seen such action. But i shall not pretend to be the average. I just find such acts while a sibling is on you horrid, especially while putting in a ten year time span. I don't doubt this does happen a lot, but kids need to be told admittedly to stop. This could have affected her sister development. There is sexually liberated, then there is this. Again, I regret mentioning Lena Dunham. THe Purpose did not meet the affect.

As someone who had to share a bed with a sister and mother for years,then with a older cousin, I never seen such action. But i shall not pretend to be the average. I just find such acts while a sibling is on you horrid, especially while putting in a ten year time span. I don't doubt this does happen a lot, but kids need to be told admittedly to stop. This could have affected her sister development. There is sexually liberated, then there is this. Again, I regret mentioning Lena Dunham. THe Purpose did not meet the affect.

Not really about being sexually liberated. I am also not saying that those behaviors are good to engage in; however they typically don't rise to the level of abuse as we judge it. Lumping this stuff in with sexual abuse really sullies the issue.

Not really about being sexually liberated. I am also not saying that those behaviors are good to engage in; however they typically don't rise to the level of abuse as we judge it. Lumping this stuff in with sexual abuse really sullies the issue.

You are more knowledgeable of this then I, but lumping in the things I did while my sister slept on me for ten years is a bit too much. By no means I am I trying to minimize Josh Duggar's sick acts. I just find anyone that does anything as disgusting as repeatedly touching or masturbating while a sibling on them disgusting. Though I do undrestand Josh's actual attraction to young girls could show more harm. He should been arrested and forced to tell every nieghbor he met he is a sick pedo.

You are more knowledgeable of this then I, but lumping in the things I did while my sister slept on me for ten years is a bit too much. By no means I am I trying to minimize Josh Duggar's sick acts. I just find anyone that does anything as disgusting as repeatedly touching or masturbating while a sibling on them disgusting. Though I do undrestand Josh's actual attraction to young girls could show more harm. He should been arrested and forced to tell every nieghbor he met he is a sick pedo.

At what point does she say she did that? In the passage you quoted she said she masturbated while her sister slept next to her, not while her sister slept on her. I can only imagine at this point that you are being intentionally dense.

When the Dunham thing first broke there were a lot of left wingers piling on her about it because she's seen as the embodiment of the affluent white feminist who is out of touch with POC. The Duggar defending criticism isn't much different. At least those people don't claim to be on the same team on anything.

At what point does she say she did that? In the passage you quoted she said she masturbated while her sister slept next to her, not while her sister slept on her. I can only imagine at this point that you are being intentionally dense.

Beside me sounds like on her side, but okay, your definition is the definition used here.

Beside me sounds like on her side, but okay, your definition is the definition used here.

Are you not a native English speaker? I'm not asking to be rude, but knowing the answer will help me to avoid confusion in this argument.

Are you not a native English speaker? I'm not asking to be rude, but knowing the answer will help me to avoid confusion in this argument.

I am, I miss took the wording,took beside as to her side, I remember the word being used in such fashion, but that was likely incorrect. I have taken your meaning as the mostly likely meant. Thus no need to argue through on Dunham.

Let me ask you this, out of curiousity, whats happened with the Duggars, the way things have played out, do you think its something that would discourage a family to report something that they thought was abuse and they were not sure how to handle. I think the Duggar parents were disturbed by whatever happened but they didn't want their sons life destroyed by something that happened when he was 14, allegedly. The fact that they got the police involved and sought help outside of the family seems to have worked against them and damaged their lives down the road. Does is seem like there situation could discourage someone in similar position from seeking help with the problem?

Archived