19 Child Molestation Charges and Counting

If you're gonna hate on a hat the least you could do is properly identify which hate you hate. I don't know why it pisses me off so much, I'm not some kind of hat aficionado, but I know what a fedora looks like, and most of the people being laughed at for wearing fedoras aren't actually wearing fedoras.

/threadjack

Trilbies mostly.

ETA: I really shouldn't have vented about my misidentified hat hate. This is a serious thread discussion a very serious issue and I don't want to sidetrack it with something so silly.

I saw that. Walgreen's is also monitoring.

I think that that once the Duggars heard the complaints, they should have reevaluated their concept of family planning and taken the well-being of the children in the home into consideration. Instead, they just kept on going AND began a more public lifestyle knowing that this could come back to them.

I saw that. Walgreen's is also monitoring.

I think that that once the Duggars heard the complaints, they should have reevaluated their concept of family planning and taken the well-being of the children in the home into consideration. Instead, they just kept on going AND began a more public lifestyle knowing that this could come back to them.

That would require them to be completely different people with a completely different philosophy.

I'm more interested in this claim that this 'community' is 'mostly nu atheists', but the whole quote is rife with ridiculousness.

I moved this entire discussion to the other thread, so if you all are wondering what happened to your posts, they're over there.

And apparently Jim Bob Duggar believes that rape and incest should be considered capital crimes...

http://web.archive.org/web/20030210014933/http://www.jimbob.info/position.html

Except when his son is committing the crime, of course.

Maybe he is one of those "legitimate rape" idiots... and maybe he only considers it incest if you have children before you put a ring on it?

Seriously though, I hope that the victims get some help at the end of this circus. It seems that all the focus is on the offender and the father... and as far as media attention goes, that is fine... but I hope that the need to help the victims doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

It happened 12 years ago. I am afraid the victims are ready lost in the shuffle.

Those are the victims we know of now. I have never seen a predator that started down that path and just suddenly stopped. Even if he took a hiatus, I'd bet that more victims exist.

The Megyn Kelly interview was almost shocking. I expected more softballing interview skills, especially from Kelly. What I wasn't expecting was for Ma and Pa Duggar to completely bury themselves. It almost looks as though they didn't even bother to practice or speak with their PR reps or a lawyer or even read their own police report. Most of what they said made me feel sick. Some highlights - the girls were asleep so they didn't even know what happened which apparently made it ok to continue to ignore what the son was doing; it wasn't rape, only touching, which apparently makes it better; other families have dealt with worse so what happened in the Duggar house wasn't so bad; Josh cried and he had a tender conscience and he cried some more and there were so many tears from Josh and remember that Josh came and confessed what he did over and over after every time he molested girls in his house and he cried during these confessions so the tears really mean something; the are now going to be advocates for juvenile records remaining sealed.

I'm not even joking. These were the major points the Duggars made in their interview. Megyn Kelly kept trying to shill for them but each time she threw them a bone, they pissed on it. I guess I was nervously expecting that these christian legalistic cult asshats would make this pleaful and repentant interview and get to go on to be rewarded for trying to spread what is basically comparable to sharia law as some for of ideal model of a good family. I'm pleasantly surprised that they went ahead and buried themselves. There is zero chance Ma and Pa Duggar will be able to continue on in the public eye. I can't even see their 'fans' being able to continue to defend these despicable humans.

The Megyn Kelly interview was almost shocking. I expected more softballing interview skills, especially from Kelly. What I wasn't expecting was for Ma and Pa Duggar to completely bury themselves. It almost looks as though they didn't even bother to practice or speak with their PR reps or a lawyer or even read their own police report. Most of what they said made me feel sick. Some highlights - the girls were asleep so they didn't even know what happened which apparently made it ok to continue to ignore what the son was doing; it wasn't rape, only touching, which apparently makes it better; other families have dealt with worse so what happened in the Duggar house wasn't so bad; Josh cried and he had a tender conscience and he cried some more and there were so many tears from Josh and remember that Josh came and confessed what he did over and over after every time he molested girls in his house and he cried during these confessions so the tears really mean something; the are now going to be advocates for juvenile records remaining sealed.

I'm not even joking. These were the major points the Duggars made in their interview. Megyn Kelly kept trying to shill for them but each time she threw them a bone, they pissed on it. I guess I was nervously expecting that these christian legalistic cult asshats would make this pleaful and repentant interview and get to go on to be rewarded for trying to spread what is basically comparable to sharia law as some for of ideal model of a good family. I'm pleasantly surprised that they went ahead and buried themselves. There is zero chance Ma and Pa Duggar will be able to continue on in the public eye. I can't even see their 'fans' being able to continue to defend these despicable humans.

Don't kid yourself, they still will.

I suspect you are right in regards to the fundie dipshits they share roots with, but this is surely the last coffin nail in their TLC cashcow. That in itself is a blessing. Thank you Fox News. You managed to do what the so called Liberal media could not. :thumbsup:

I expected more softballing interview skills, especially from Kelly.

I'm confused by this. I've seen far less soft-balling and pandering in Fox News interviews than I have seen anywhere else in the last 5-10 years. Granted, every interview on every network has some degree of it, and it did seem that she tried to throw them a lifeline on a couple of occasions, but... overall, this was actually a much softer interview than I expected from Fox News.. especially from Megyn Kelly.

Oh sure, the Gothardites and other fundies will continue to support the Duggars because that all have the same toxic belief systems. But the average fan? Unlikely. The Duggars really dug themselves in. I think the moment they said that it was really as bad as it seemed because the girls were mostly sleeping or really young or that they banned girls and boys playing together as a way to prevent future molestations really sealed it for them.

I'm confused by this. I've seen far less soft-balling and pandering in Fox News interviews than I have seen anywhere else in the last 5-10 years. Granted, every interview on every network has some degree of it, and it did seem that she tried to throw them a lifeline on a couple of occasions, but... overall, this was actually a much softer interview than I expected from Fox News.. especially from Megyn Kelly.

The media in general has been disgustingly soft with the Duggars over the last decade. I mean, these are people who can proudly say on national television that it's a woman's job to control a man's sexual desires and the interviewer, no matter the network or newspaper, would just giggle and move on to the next question. Fox News has been pretty consistent supporters of the Duggars, going so far devoting almost zero time to covering this scandal. Megyn's question were so soft, they basically set up a way for the Duggars to come out looking saintly, as though they are simply persecuted white christians, and these people just blew it for themselves. I mean, Kelly even got on board the "the real issue is the 'illegally' obtained police report" bandwagon, that's how soft she was. She also didn't challenge them on their answers today being wildly inconsistent with those they gave in the police report. The Duggars must have some seriously terrible PR team.

Not that I'm upset. These people never should have been given a public platform. This better be the nail, though I fear it won't because the daughters will probably end up garnering a lot of sympathy. I feel sympathetic towards them and any other victim but none of them should be given any sort of platform unless they are going to be forced to be honest with what their 'ministry' is really about.

Archived