Connection between White Walkers/Wights and Water ?

Priyncess

As we saw in last night's episode, White Walkers or their army didn't or couldn't follow Jon & the Wildlings in the water.

Some wights did fall into the water but the Night's King or a walker didn't touch water.

My question is why didn't they continue to fight in the water? Is there a connection between White Walkers and water?

Are they scared of water like the Khalasar? Any details from the books ?

As we saw in last night's episode, White Walkers or their army didn't or couldn't follow Jon & the Wildlings in the water.

Some wights did fall into the water but the Night's King or a walker didn't touch water.

My question is why didn't they continue to fight in the water? Is there a connection between White Walkers and water?

Are they scared of water like the Khalasar? Any details from the books ?

If they could just go through the water wouldn't the Wall be pointless?

Maybe they don't mind fresh water, but have a problem with salt. Which is why guest right traditionally involves bread and salt... when your guest or host munches some salt, you know they're human. :D

Yes, salt melts the ice, maybe this is the reason.

Wow, that's... really smart, and something I've never thought about before :eek:

Not sure why they show made them stop at water, however in the books, as Jon reads reports about Hardhome, they say "there are things in the water" and its implied that if someone tries to swim he/she is grabbed/pulled down. So in the books, White Walkers do have influence about undead things in the water.

It would be very silly if white walkers could cross water, because the wall is bordered on both sides by the ocean. All they'd need to do is get on boats and cross the bay, making the wall useless.

they left the nights watch deserter alive in the first scene of the series. they left sam alive at the fist of the first men at the end of season 2. the one that sam encountered in episode 8 of season 3 just tossed him aside and didn't try to kill him. i think it's pretty clear that the white walkers like to leave survivors to go spread the word about their imminent arrival to strike fear in the hearts of men. the last scene of hardhome showed that the wights are not 28 days later rage infected zombies. the night's king has complete control over them. and that stare down and resurrection of the dead from the night's king was to show jon that there is no hope. and I believe he wanted Jon to take that same sentiment back to the wall.

It has never seemed to me like there's any reason to assume the White Walkers are interested in invading south of the Wall. They could simply try to drive all humans out from the north side, which would explain why they don't really go out of their way to kill everyone who tries to flee. Leaving survivors and letting the fear spread would work towards that goal.

I too thought it was significant that they wouldn't touch the water. I like the idea above that the issue may be specifically salt water. If true, the WW threat would then only be to Westeros (unless the narrow sea were to freeze).

it's always summer under the see, I know, I know...

Couldn't they just freeze the surface?

If they could just go through the water wouldn't the Wall be pointless?

Well my guess is the Great Other made a pact with the Drowned God. Unlike the humans, the GO is keeping his pact with the DG and staying out of his realm ;).

Archived