Connection between White Walkers/Wights and Water ?

Priyncess

It seemed to me as if the Other put the flames out more so than walked through them.

Yeah I think normal fire has no effect on them they can put it out. Normal fire can only kill the wights.

I thought that was some cool effects and established some of their powers.

Yes, salt melts the ice, maybe this is the reason.

Doesn't salt actually lower the temperature of water?

Salt, obviously, has a totally different freezing point to H20 - but I don't know that salt dramatically increases or decreases the speed at which ice melts, otherwise, how do icebergs work?

It seems like the ritual of the drowned god of drowning People before "resurecting" them again is key here. While the drowning takes Place the preists says: "For what is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger". Here it sounds like they ar talking about Wights and he phrase may origin from the long night. This may be a reasoning for the drowning. They drown themselves to NOT become Wights because the others keep away from the drowned gods Territory.

It has never seemed to me like there's any reason to assume the White Walkers are interested in invading south of the Wall. They could simply try to drive all humans out from the north side, which would explain why they don't really go out of their way to kill everyone who tries to flee. Leaving survivors and letting the fear spread would work towards that goal.

That would be a nice twist. Imagine the WW showing up at the Wall, everyone is expecting an invasion into the rest of Westeros and then they start building fortifications on the north side of the wall to defend it against the south :lol:

That would be a nice twist. Imagine the WW showing up at the Wall, everyone is expecting an invasion into the rest of Westeros and then they start building fortifications on the north side of the wall to defend it against the south :lol:

All the Others have to do is show up at the Wall and remind everyone why it is there.

The NK just has to go, "You lot are forgetful tools, this massive ice wall was built by me, to keep you fuckers out of my house, not the other way around. So now, I'm going to give you a new generation of darkness to remind you. Don't fricken forget this time!

Here, take your dead back and bury them on your side. Oh, and I'll be taking that bastard Snow with me also, in exchange. I don't care if he's dead or not, I think he'll serve well as one of us - no sense of humour, unable to party, good with his tongue - yea, he'll fit right in" :)

Then Sam asks meekly, "Shouldn't you have walled off the edges of the ocean also? You know, just to be sure?"

At first I thought, if he freezes the water and walks on it, there will be no end to the Elsa parodies.

But if they can't cross the salt water at all, then the nw doesn't need to fight them. Just retreat behind the wall. Unless the wights are specifically to cross the wall and bring it down somehow.

I like that they spare the nw who swear by the old gods theory.

Not sure why they show made them stop at water, however in the books, as Jon reads reports about Hardhome, they say "there are things in the water" and its implied that if someone tries to swim he/she is grabbed/pulled down. So in the books, White Walkers do have influence about undead things in the water.

" there are dead things both in the woods and the water"

The scene ended with them still floating towards the ships...not too late to show what's in the water.

Not sure why they didn't freeze the water like shown at Crasters Keep.

That's just my problem with D&D making changes to the books. In the books it isn't certain whether the White Walkers/Others come with the cold or bring the cold with them and there is no mention that they have the power to freeze water. So it's logical that the wall is sufficient protection as the seas at either end can't be frozen by the Others so they can just walk around the wall.

In the series, however, the precedent has been set that they bring the cold with them and the temperature is so low, water freezes.

Now people are speculating about the Others not having power over salt water, and I think it's just a silly oversight on the part of D&D that has nothing to do with the world GRRM created. The more D&D make up about the Others, the bigger hole they dig for themselves.

We can't apply the laws of science to the fantasy genre, but I for one tend to lose a bit of interest when the producers and writers forget about precedents they themselves have set about the world they are depicting and leave me thinking WTF?

Archived