The Fate of Craster's Sons

DarkSister1001

I'm imagining the Other stopping to change diapers and coo him to sleep. Instead of milk in the bottle it woulda been milkshakes! Ok, that was bad. Sorry. Seriously, can you imagine being stuck in a car, I mean on a horse with a baby for 500 miles?

lol, "are we there yet?!"

At the root, seems plausible enough: blood + fire/dragon magic + steel = magic swords == ice magic + something + blood = magic weapons.

Also, simple enough.

At the root, seems plausible enough: blood + fire/dragon magic + steel = magic swords == ice magic + ice spider venom + blood = magic weapons.

I loved the OP.

I agree that the babies are butchered and their blood is used in "icebinding" to create Others. That is the icy counterpart of shadowbinding with blood and life fire. The Others are ice made flesh. Craster has been lying to his wives to not draw their wrath. In fact, he was not exactly lying. The boys somehow turn into the Others but he kept the gruesome details to himself.

Of course, the TV show could not present the butchering of babies. So, they invented the icy touch.

They had the prince that was promised cowering behind a tree. Some hero.

While I don't think the babies are turned into WW's either, it is worth noting that according to GRRM, Crastor was not the only person sacrificing children to the others so that does leave it as an option in terms of the #'s. Also, leaving aside my earlier point that a baby would not survive long in the open regardless of whether or not they were wrapped up, especially if they were around a WW that is absolutely freezing, child mortality in the north would be terrible, we are told as much when we are told why wildlings don't get names until they are 2. So Craster has what 20 wives? All of whom - 1 who obviously couldn't have originally been a daughter so lets call her a sister were his daughters that lived to adulthood. That means he would have originally had like 40 daughters and half would have died, and as many sons, so thats 40 babies he gave the WW's. And actually more male babies are born than female.

Can you point me toward the source please?

So, can White Walkers reanimate dragons? Think about all the dragons that have flown in Westeros over the years. There even used to be wild dragons. There had to be some that have flown far north out of curiosity or something that has died and that could have possible been found by the White Walkers and reanimated to use again as Ice Dragons.

Or, it was said in the first long night that the White Walkers had all over Westeros until Azor Ahai came, so that means that they could do this again. And, if they do this again, could they find dragon bones and reanimate a few for themselves? Just questions I ponder.

So, can White Walkers reanimate dragons? Think about all the dragons that have flown in Westeros over the years. There even used to be wild dragons. There had to be some that have flown far north out of curiosity or something that has died and that could have possible been found by the White Walkers and reanimated to use again as Ice Dragons.

Or, it was said in the first long night that the White Walkers had all over Westeros until Azor Ahai came, so that means that they could do this again. And, if they do this again, could they find dragon bones and reanimate a few for themselves? Just questions I ponder.

We've only seen them reanimate fresh corpses. Not sure what they can do with just bones. I assume there still needs to be blood at the time of the reanimation, but I don't know for sure.

We've only seen them reanimate fresh corpses. Not sure what they can do with just bones. I assume there still needs to be blood at the time of the reanimation, but I don't know for sure.

It would make sense if they needed blood. Hopefully they found a few fresh ones throughout the years. It's my hope for an ice dragon :-).

It would make sense if they needed blood. Hopefully they found a few fresh ones throughout the years. It's my hope for an ice dragon :-).

You and me both! Especially after reading the children's book about them. I always envisioned Dany's dragons roasting the bad guys and an ice dragon quenching the flames before the damage would grow and impact our heroes. Total fantasy, I know, but a girl can dream. :)

What i want to know is how did the others and craster start this tradition. There had to be some kind of dialoge between both parties to come to an understanding but how did craster communicate with the others

If Crasters gave 99 sons to the White Walkers, plus the ones that were already there, that's a pretty large army of White Walkers.

Also, wasn't Gilly's kid the 100th son? I wonder if he will play in any importance. I would guess not in a fighting way since he will not grow fast enough to be used in the long winger; at least I don't think he will. Any thoughts?

If Crasters gave 99 sons to the White Walkers, plus the ones that were already there, that's a pretty large army of White Walkers.

Also, wasn't Gilly's kid the 100th son? I wonder if he will play in any importance. I would guess not in a fighting way since he will not grow fast enough to be used in the long winger; at least I don't think he will. Any thoughts?

I couldn't find any quotes that gave an actual number. What I don't understand is that with the power of the Other to reanimate anyone killed in proximity to them or their thralls why do they need to add to the Others?

With Gilly's son at the Wall I think that Mel will try to burn him thinking he's Mance's son. But IDK if that will be thwarted. If not that may be his role. If it is, then I have no clue. Again we have no indication of an increased rate of growth so I'm not sure what a toddler can do. Other than maybe show the Northerner's how insane R'hllor is.

What i want to know is how did the others and craster start this tradition. There had to be some kind of dialoge between both parties to come to an understanding but how did craster communicate with the others

That would be good to know. It could have been some basic hand signals. Maybe they just took a baby and Craster figured if he just kept giving them to them they'd be safe. Or maybe he learned about sacrificing to them from his mother or someone else.

I couldn't find any quotes that gave an actual number. What I don't understand is that with the power of the Other to reanimate anyone killed in proximity to them or their thralls why do they need to add to the Others?

With Gilly's son at the Wall I think that Mel will try to burn him thinking he's Mance's son. But IDK if that will be thwarted. If not that may be his role. If it is, then I have no clue. Again we have no indication of an increased rate of growth so I'm not sure what a toddler can do. Other than maybe show the Northerner's how insane R'hllor is.

The way that I look at it is that the White Walkers obviously have some sort of mission they are on. They have an objective that they want to accomplish, and are on their way to begin it. With that said, we don’t know exactly how many there are, or how many Craster gave, or how many are left from the first long night or anything like that. But, we do know they are on a mission for war. So, if they could create more others or White Walkers which will make their army exponentially stronger, then why not do so? I think they add more White Walkers because White Walkers have a mind, and can think, and adapt, unlike Wights.

I was reading through this thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125675-the-hierarchy-of-the-others/#entry6788893 which is an interesting read.

They can re-animate dead into Wights, but they can't create their own kind. The Others are exclusive creatures from the Wights, and nobody truly knows how many there are, how they are created, if they breed, etc.

Gilly's son is not at the Wall....she and the baby are with Sam in Oldtown, with the plan being to send Gilly/baby to Horn Hill.

What I don't understand is that with the power of the Other to reanimate anyone killed in proximity to them or their thralls why do they need to add to the Others?

I almost look at it in an military sense. The WW have the power to reanimate wights, who are basically foot soldiers. Let's say it does turn out that Crasters sons are being made into WW somehow and not simply wights or sacrifices, etc. They can add foot soldiers all day long but the more they add the more generals they will need to lead them. They may be making the sons into WW to lead them / control them, etc. also it seems that wights and WW are killed in different ways, so rather than just making all wights and leaving yourself vulnerable, to say dragon attacks, better to disversify.

First of all: Who is Craster? What if he is a ex noble, lets say from a branch of Royal familly, like a Targarien, and hides his origin. That said his sons have also royal blood. And we suppose that royal blood is a good source of power.

Why he is not afraid of WW? He could have a deal with them as a supplier of royal blood.

If this is correct, his son, that is in Castle Black, close to Melissandre, can bring to her real power on her fire magic. Melissandre thinks the baby is Mace's son, but indeed he is a heir of the realm, giving to her a great source of power, if she realy uses his blood.

I didn't get the history of King Beyond the Wall. The title doesn't make a king. There was no Realm beyond the wall. Mance was indeed a leader, no more than this. He was called king as a nickname.

Archived