Question for theorists

plectrum

I'm of the opinion that we're going to get fairly few direct answers to the secret identity questions over the next two books. For instance, I very seriously doubt that at any point a character will be positively identified as Azor Ahai, or Nissa Nissa. I get the feeling that the identity of the Harpy may never become clear (particularly if Dany decides "screw it, I'm going to Westeros"). I also think GRRM may leave us hanging with regards to the identity of the Night's King and Coldhands.

My question is this: how much (if anything) will it take away from the series if these questions are unanswered or only answered in the most ambiguous possible way.

Follow up question: do any of you feel the same way, and do you think there are other mysteries that will never have their answers revealed?

There will be identities that will never be confirmed. AA and the prince that's promised come to mind. Harpy, yes that will be revealed though Tyrion or Barristan chapters.

While some mysteries have remained a secret others haven't. (Like Jon Arryn death, grrm could have left that as the unconfirmed murder by the lannisters, Bran's attempted stabbing so on). There is no reason to assume that current mysteries won't be the same.

Coldhands I fear though will never be revealed :(

I don't think a lot of the identities (Azor Ahai, Coldhands, (F)Aegon etc) will be explicitly revealed, but there'll be pretty strong evidence to suggest who they are, in a way that it's pretty much indisputable. Personally I think this would be the best way to do it, as if the series ended without the big ones answered it would feel very unsatisfying.

Honestly, I think Azor Ahai got revealed by the show pretty heavy last week. The Night's King witnessed Jon kill a White Walker, walked down to the docks and stared him down while showing his power. He pulled a total Voldemort in identifying Jon as his enemy, someone that could seriously hurt him. It doesn't get more chosen one is then that. Jon is so fucking Azor Ahai it's not even funny anymore. He has to be.

Far be it from me to accept the show as canon, but in this case, I think it is. We'll definitely be getting a similar scene in the book and it'll be just as explicit.

I agree on everything else though.

I think some questions would have disappointing answers. What if Benjen Stark is just gone? Some people just disappear. What if Coldhands was just some Random Night's Watchman? What if there is no Azor Ahai, it just takes all humanity pulling together. How did Littlefinger become such a dick.

We may never know for sure that Tyrion is the son of Aerys. We may never get a direct quote saying "Aegon is actually the son of Illyrio and Viserra Blackfyre and he is a Blackfyre pretender." but for both of these I think we will get strong evidence that points to something much more strongly than the other.

(sidenote: even if Aegon is a Blackfyre it might be a good idea for both him and Dany to marry to unite the Blackfyre-Targaryen line once and for all.)

I don't think a lot of the identities (Azor Ahai, Coldhands, (F)Aegon etc) will be explicitly revealed, but there'll be pretty strong evidence to suggest who they are, in a way that it's pretty much indisputable. Personally I think this would be the best way to do it, as if the series ended without the big ones answered it would feel very unsatisfying.

You'd be surprised what some people can dispute.

Identities revealed: PTWP, harpy, AA via Mel (she's bound to get it right sooner or later lol), Pate in Oldtown, (f) Aegon, Jenny of Oldstones, Woods Witch, the Dusky Woman with Victarion

I'm sure there are plenty of others but I wanna touch on the importance of leaving at least one character a mystery.

Coldhands- what makes him such an interesting character is the mystery behind his identity. GRRM has given us just enough to let our imaginations run wild which is awesome (who needs closure???). The only way I see his identity being revealed is if he's the Night's King, and that's only because he has no real identity. He's another dark character with a history and identity as mysterious as Coldhands because his real identity was wiped away from history, we just know that he was once lord commander of the Watch (maybe a Stark named Brandon) and did some things too terrible to describe in a scroll. IMO it would ruin that entire part of the story.

Archived