Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

My issues don't tend to be with the depiction of horrific things on screen, but if they are badly written, illogical, do nothing to serve the plot (i.e. the OMG shock usage) or something else along those lines. I can deal with the depiction of rape, abuse, murder, etc. on screen, but it has to be done is a way that makes sense and doesn't trivialise these matters, and isn't completely stupid.

Dany scene is also very sexual. No coincidence Drogon is named after Drogo. Her sexuality is somehow tied to her own acceptance as a Dragon.

Isn't she wearing nothing on the Dothraki Sea in Daenerys X drawing a similarity of Daenerys X in AGoT?

JOIN THE PENNY DREADFUL BANDWAGON INSTEAD! :p

I adore you right now! Phenomenal show. Acting, imagery, stoy....it's all there. That scene last night, when it was raining blood at the ball, was stunning. Oh...and Eva Green is the most gorgeous woman on the planet.

Exactly. No one here (I think) is saying the show should whitewash violence against women or other forms of debauchery. But it's like Cheb's has said on tumblr: depiction =/= endorsement. I want those scenes to make sense and advance narratives and themes; not titillate or provide shock value for the sake of shock value.

:agree:

I haven't read the books, but I wholeheartedly agree!

People here keep complaining D&D "love" Dany, and please tell me (and forgive me) if I'm accidentally getting into repercussion territory, but I'm not seeing it. They may love her dragons and the visuals (of both dragons and Emilia), but as for the character herself - all season at actually for several seasons, she has come across to me as well-intentioned but weak, inconsistent, erratic, irrational person, a would-be ruler without a plan, someone who made things worse. She usually either doesn't listen to advisory, or she listens to anything even if it doesn't make sense.

Whenever her arc is shown parallel to Jon's (e.g. execution of one of your own people), he came across as doing what has to be done, while she - at the very least - went about it all wrong; at the worst, looked incompetent. He is all hands-on, she is just standing around aloof. I'm not saying she should do the executions herself, but good grief, she didn't even give any orders in the pit! And her lily-white dress which never crumples doesn't help.

And what the pit scene conveyed for me most of all is that she flies away to safety, not even trying to save Missandei et al.

And my guess is that while she is away, Tyrion will save the day and accomplish what she couldn't in what seems to have been years.

Many who like show Dany love her dragons and think she looks hot, rather than she would make a competent ruler.

You made excellent points, and I always like hearing your perspective as a shownly person who is dissatisfied with the show.

This is a nitpick, but I wish Dany was a little more...roughed up in the pits. Like, her braids fallen out, her dress ripped and torn, covered in dirt and ash...

And the fact that it looks like she's flying away to save herself while leaving those she cares about behind is all kinds of wrong.

I recall Dexter coming quite close to GoT. Like I was never a truly big fan though I recall the fat Cuban one (cannot recall his name) having trite subplot one season about a bar for him to immediately be a police officer again in the following season rendering that entire stupid subplot pointless as well. Pretty terrible wriitng.

Dexter is the perfect parallel. Pretty great first seasons with consistent, compelling characters and storytelling. Morally grey characters that were also likeable. Then...what the everloving fuck?? Season 3 was meh, Season 4 was pretty great once again (but not the same heights of the first two seasons), but the last 4 seasons were a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Very similar to GoT right now, sadly.

Dany scene is also very sexual. No coincidence Drogon is named after Drogo. Her sexuality is somehow tied to her own acceptance as a Dragon.

Yup, there have been lots of "fun" edits on Tumblr showing this.

I adore you right now! Phenomenal show. Acting, imagery, stoy....it's all there. That scene last night, when it was raining blood at the ball, was stunning. Oh...and Eva Green is the most gorgeous woman on the planet.

Any non-horror recommendations? (That genre is not for me.)

I'm rewatching BtVS just for fun right now and I'll soon start a rewatch of Six Feet Under, my favorite of all times...

That is something I cannot argue with :) . Thanks for mentioning that she is on that show, Penny Dreadful is now a few places higher on my "Check it out in the near future" list :) .

ahem...

Her heart felt as if it were about to burst.

Yes, she thought, yes, now, now, do it, do it, take me, take me, FLY!

My issues don't tend to be with the depiction of horrific things on screen, but if they are badly written, illogical, do nothing to serve the plot (i.e. the OMG shock usage) or something else along those lines. I can deal with the depiction of rape, abuse, murder, etc. on screen, but it has to be done is a way that makes sense and doesn't trivialise these matters, and isn't completely stupid.

:agree:

I don't think you'll find many regular posters on this thread that would disagree with this.

Well I made a post on my tumblr. I'm not sure what the best platform to do it would be. Google Drive?

Could maybe be done on the forums?

Any non-horror recommendations? (That genre is not for me.)

I'm rewatching BtVS just for fun right now and I'll soon start a rewatch of Six Feet Under, my favorite of all times...

BtVS and SFU :bowdown:

Any non-horror recommendations?

I'm rewatching BtVS just for fun right now and IÄll soon start a rewatch of Six Feet Under, my favorite of all times...

Comedy wise. Silicon Valley, that's on right after Thrones, is well done. It helps me decompress, after watching Thrones and Penny.

Dexter is the perfect parallel. Pretty great first seasons with consistent, compelling characters and storytelling. Morally grey characters that were also likeable. Then...what the everloving fuck?? Season 3 was meh, Season 4 was pretty great once again (but not the same heights of the first two seasons), but the last 4 seasons were a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Dexter annoyed me like GoT: a concept that could have wrought a masterpiece of fiction. Wasted potential.

Very similar to GoT right now, sadly.

Agreed 100%.

Could maybe be done on the forums?

Maybe. But you know the forums can be a bit dodgy and we don't have infinite message storage. A couple years ago I did some fan scripts with another poster using google docs so I'd say that would be the best bet.

Archived