Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

Is anyone else ready to pull their hair out after talking to Unsullied friends who defending portraying Trant as a pedophile the same way they defended Sansa's rape? "Of course there is violence against women and pedophilia in Martin's world and on the show!"

I've been trying all day to figure out what purpose Dorne served. I'm failing.

Ugh, it's like when people recite "if you think this has a happy ending..." god. What an infuriating way to ignore what people are saying while simultaneously shutting down a conversaion.

And I don't think anyone gets Dorne, even show apologists :dunno:

I can forgive the bad CGI, which IMO wasn't that bad to begin with.

I care about the characters I've grown to love over the last decade. The CGI complaints are petty compared to what happened to some of the characters. They aren't even being consistent with their own narrative, not even taking into account the books.

Completely agree - the Daznak scene didn't just suck because of the CGI, but because literally every character there is a shell of their former selves, with inconsistencies that make absolutely no sense. And this extends to every other plotline on the show.

You down for helping out then? :)

Yes! ^_^

I can say for the first time, I actually hope they don't ever bring Stoneheart back. She's better left out of this travesty of hell and character assassination.

Completely agree. I would actually be super upset if they included her now, because of what they would do to her.

In the books, Stannis has only burned criminals and refuses to make human sacrifices of anyone, despite its magic power. On the show, he burns infidels and makes human sacrifices, including his daughter.

In the books, Stannis burned Mance Rayder for deserting the Night's Watch. On the show, he burned him for refusing to swear fealty.

In the books, Stannis has liberated the North from the Ironborn and rallied many Northmen to his cause. On the show, he has liberated no part of the North and rallied no Northmen.

In the books, Stannis, the most experienced commander alive, has built up an army of Northmen from nothing and is poised to crush the Boltons. On the show, he lost his army of sellswords to a team of twenty men and had to resort to human sacrifice to restore his fortunes.

In the books, Stannis is a righteous, honorable, dutiful lord, who although unloved, is respected. On the show, he is a megalomaniac, cruel, cowardly fanatic.

Superb.

Fun fact: D and D throw rape into every other scene. But in all five of Martin's books, in thousands of pages, only two rapes have happened "on-screen". A lot of it occurs off-screen, but it's only briefly mentioned, makes sense when it happens, and is (almost) always given the appropriate weight.

Hmmm

What are the two onscreen ones?

I can't read through 64 pages of this thread so I apologize if my post has already been discussed at length, but what has been sticking with me MORE than the Shireen sacrifice is how D+D have turned Dany into a wuss of a woman, retreating and running away at every attack. This is the woman who wants to sit on the Iron Throne? When I was watching her in the pit last night all I could think was, "Come on woman, pick up a weapon and start defending yoruself!!" Instead she holds hands with Missendi?

In the books (Seven hells I'm so sick of saying that sentence), Dany literally jumps off the dias into the pits, picks up a discarded whip, and confronts Drogon head on, nearly getting burnt to a krisp. She doesn't just stand there in a circle cowering, she is in the thick of the action and repeatedly whips Drogon to get him to stop his attack.

ShowDany just stood there in her pretty white dress, closed her eyes, and *poof* Drogon appears. Beyond lame. I really wanted Dany to be the aggressor in that scene, as she is in the books, and remind everyone of the fearless woman who waled into a burning pyre. I believe the show could have actually benefitted from having that Dany come to the stage last night. Her Never Ending Story moment lost all it's meaning to me once Drogon showed up to "save" her rather than it be her "taming" him.

Also, ep1

Mance: I'd rather die being free and make mistakes than kneel! Flame on!

ep9

Every men: Let's help Khaleesi! Let's fix her mistakes!

Are you saying the show is sexist or something? I wouldn't know :dunno:

In the books, Stannis has only burned criminals and refuses to make human sacrifices of anyone, despite its magic power. On the show, he burns infidels and makes human sacrifices, including his daughter.

<snip>

Well, he was going to burn Edric...

In the books, Stannis burned Mance Rayder for deserting the Night's Watch. On the show, he burned him for refusing to swear fealty.

In the books, Stannis has liberated the North from the Ironborn and rallied many Northmen to his cause. On the show, he has liberated no part of the North and rallied no Northmen.

In the books, Stannis, the most experienced commander alive, has built up an army of Northmen from nothing and is poised to crush the Boltons. On the show, he lost his army of sellswords to a team of twenty men and had to resort to human sacrifice to restore his fortunes.

In the books, Stannis is a righteous, honorable, dutiful lord, who although unloved, is respected. On the show, he is a megalomaniac, cruel, cowardly fanatic.

Superb.

In the books, Stannis has a complex relationship with his right hand Davos regarding faith that is ultimately a, in a way, beautiful one for the reasoning both men have to respect the other. In the show, Stannis treats his servant Davos like a dog, openly mocking him, berating him for loyal service and is prepared to execute him whenever his red lover so wishes.

@Chebyshov

However there is a clear difference between how willing he was to do it to Gentry and how willing he was to do it to Edric. He was clearly trying to resist it even in spite of believing it is one life against everyone's.

I'm not sure. Of my friends who are show-onlies, only one is still watching and loving it; the others stopped watching in season 4 and 5, the last two tuning out after ep. 6.

I'll watch ep. 10. I doubt I'll bother with season 6.

Not me. Very few of the actors match my mind's eye (or ear, in Dinklage's case) for the characters.

Same. What I do that helps is look at really good fanart or fancastings on tumblr (they do really good edits!) if I do have a problem seeing my own characters.

I agree that very few of the actors match the characters in my head. But a lot of them do a good job of overcoming their looks and do a great performance.

Fun fact: D and D throw rape into every other scene. But in all five of Martin's books, in thousands of pages, only two rapes have happened "on-screen". A lot of it occurs off-screen, but it's only briefly mentioned, makes sense when it happens, and is (almost) always given the appropriate weight.

:agree:

It'll be either Talisa or Lord Stoneheart as Robb. Because creatively...

God no, please no more Talisa :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

I'm sure he's contractually obliged not to diss the show. However, my only real worry is that he may think the show's changes are what the book readers like.

Nooooooooooooooo!!

He would never, I am quite sure. He won't say anything for several reasons, I imagine. But I believe he knows not only how good the books are, but having worked in TV as well, he knows these scripts are shite.

Martin is a wonderful storyteller, these guys are anything but.

What was the overall consenus on Lost when that began to wane in quality (well... moreso than originally)? I really want GoT to have the same treatment is not worse because it deserves it. I mean, creatively it makes sense, because I want it to happen.

Lost went off the rails, but never anywhere this bad as GoT. I'm not even sure if Heroes post-season 2 is a good comparison, either. At least they did not go out of their way to be as offensive as possible.

I don't know if there was every anything that got so bad as GoT season 5. Maybe some telenovelas, but not anything that started out fine and was considered a quality show. Reading those summaries, it really feels like D&D must have intentionally set out to make the worst season of TV ever and piss off everyone.

Stannis in the books believes his path with will ultimately destroy him in the process yet fights on to serve the realm and out of a belief that he owes it to Shireen and even Robert. Stannis in the show (as far as I recall) is under no such impression he will die and fights solely for the throne for himself, not for the realm against the true enemy.

Not me. Very few of the actors match my mind's eye (or ear, in Dinklage's case) for the characters.

The two best examples are Cersei and Dany for me. I have nothing against how the actresses look (although I think they're both prettier with their natural hair colour), but they just don't fit the images in my mind at all, Most of the others fit their descriptions well enough and some ar just perfect. John Bradley, for example, IS Sam. And then we have someone like Charles Dance, who doesn't really match book Tywin in the looks department, but thanks to his sheer brilliance, in my mind, he is now Tywin. His portrayal is so good that show Tywin is actually among the very few instances where the show outdid the books in my opinion.

Lost went off the rails, but never anywhere this bad as GoT. I'm not even sure if Heroes post-season 2 is a good comparison, either. At least they did not go out of their way to be as offensive as possible.

I don't know if there was every anything that got so bad as GoT season 5. Maybe some telenovelas, but not anything that started out fine and was considered a quality show. Reading those summaries, it really feels like D&D must have intentionally set out to make the worst season of TV ever and piss off everyone.

I think people are so draw to GoT and fail to recognise its terrible writing is due to it being a very high form of escapism... in that it is a completely fictional world so unlike our own in many ways.

When GRRM reads the fan letter he'll turn to his editor and command her to call the banners. Every last one.

Well that's two who seem to like the idea of a fan letter to GRRM about this bull. Can I get a third?

Seriously, I will draft a statement along the broadest possible lines for every character, including the characters I dislike (Daenerys, etc...), whose fans feel this adaptation has ruined them.

So everyone, cite every point you feel this show has butchered GRRM's characters, and I'll compile them and go from there if you like.

I want GRRM to put this show in a freaking quarantine bubble and not let any of it pollute the works he has yet to release.

Archived