Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

If Varys does not appear next episode to slay Kevan (and hopefully Showfinger) = more lazy writing and a loose plot thread akin to Balon, Rickon, the Tullys, the Freys, etc.

GRRM in a recent interview:

"It’s easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations. Otherwise, it’s just being shocking for being shocking. But this is something that seems very organic and natural, and I could see how it would happen."

Perfectly sums up the problem with the burning of Shireen in the show.

Honestly, it can sum up most of the problems that this show has.

I think it was supposed to come off as her giving up given the dire situation. Which misses the point of the scene from the books.

Dany had her brief moment of power when she decides all on her own to marry Hizzy and open the pits, but then after that it seems like shes helpless and being controlled by her enviornment. Then when all hope is lost she closes her eyes as if she was relieved its over. So much for the warrior dragon queen from the last few seasons. It's another example of characterization problems in this episode.

However it did read a bit like she used the "force" to call drogon. My gf whose has not read the books immediately reacted to Drogons firey entrance saying "Sooooo...she can call him with her mind?!?!?!?"

To which I replied..."creatively it makes sense"

Hell, I even thought she was doing something akin to that. They edited it to make it seem that way, which is on them and their lackluster editing skills. It's caused a lot of confusion. Now people think she is a warg too :dunno:

You know, Dany's plot is showing how bad it needed Quentyn. Really. Just like Dorne needed Arianne and Tyrion needed Griff.

Absolutely. Her denying Quentyn in the show = wheel speech with Tyrion that portrays the exact opposite sentiment.

I think D+D think this is the point. Both sides are awful at this point, so the audience doesn't know who to route for. It's moral ambiguity! Of course they've got it ass backwards - good moral ambiguity is when both sides are likeable, not when both sides are hated.

Well said.

If there is ever a masterful second attempt at adapting ASoIaF, it would be oh so wonderful to see it shame Game of Thrones.

It wouldn't be hard. People are starting to laugh at Game of Thrones.

I have so many issues with this episode, and I feel I need to get them off my chest. I have already written about some of these in other threads, but I felt I had to put everything together.

I am really upset first of all that David Benioff would spoil the books in his interview. He pretty much tells us what will happen to Shireen in the books. He is clearly blaming George for that horrible scene, which is really distasteful. While I am sure that Shireen will have the same fate in the books (up until now I thought Shireen would eventually sit on the Iron Throne, but I guess I was wrong) Stannis will not be involved in any way.

This is how it will most likely go down in TWoW: Melisandre sacrifices Shireen in order to resurrect Jon. The reason this is more impactful is because Jon is the hero of the story, and we all want him to survive the attack, but at what cost? Is the life of a hero more important than the life of an innocent? This is powerful stuff and D&D completely missed the point.

Second, this is without a doubt character assassination. Stannis in the books:

" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

Stannis in the books is not fighting because he is ambitious, he is fighting because it's his duty to rule, and when he dies it's his daughter's duty to rule. Book- Stannis would sacrifice himself to make sure Shireen would sit on the Throne.

Melisandre has also been character-assassinated, but that of course has happened a long time ago. Most unsullied viewers hate her with a passion (and that was before she sacrificed Shireen), while book-Melisandre is a very different character.

Dorne: I really, really, really hate what they have done with the best of the 7 Kingdoms. They have completely ignored the fact that Dorne is the only place with gender equality. No Doran's mother as ruler, no Arianne as Queenmaker, and now they're even depriving Nymeria of her role in the small council to put Trystane there instead.

My main question is why the hell did they cast Sand Snakes if they don't have an important role? What is Nymeria going to do now? What will Obara do if there's no Darkstar? Will Tyene even pose as a septa?

Finally, Dorne is not ok with incest. Where the hell did they get that stupid idea? Why have they character-assassinated Ellaria?

My favorite story in ADwD is Theon and Jeyne's escape from Winterfell. Them jumping off the Winterfell wall, and then Theon's re-union with Asha (my avatar). Now it's pretty obvious that scene won't make it to the show since there's no time for Asha to get to the North. I continue watching the show to see my favorite scenes from the books, and my favorite scene in all 5 books won't even be on the show. Why the hell should I continue watching? :( :( :(

As for Dany flying on Drogon. Show-Tyrion is obviously a killing machine, show-Daario has apparently been abandoned by his sellsword company, show-Jorah holds hands with Dany despite having greyscale, show-Missandei once again just stands there looking pretty. What is this nonsense?

I just don't understand why they cut Quentyn? He only had to be mentioned a couple of times by Doran ("he has gone on a mission") and then have one or two appearances. Who will free the dragons now? Or will they just be left rotting in the dungeon?

There's so much that's wrong about this crappy tv show. Will I continue watching? I don't know. I will probably watch episode 10 and then wait for The Winds of Winter. I have invested so many hours watching this show but it has begun to upset me more than it pleases me, especially when so many of my favorite scenes and quotes are missing (I doubt they will even have "for the watch").

I can’t get over how stupid that “swear allegiance to me or die” scene was.

Like, what, tell me, WHAT prompted this turn around? At point point did she learn something?

And the stupid Sand Fakes standing in the background with their hand tied together with rope. Hilarious.

And what gets me is that this is probably their version of “The Princess in the Tower.” This is what they think Arianne arc was “I fucked up, oops my bad, please forgive me male authority figure.” And the whole thing where he took his hand away and was, like, “don’t fuck up again!” Jesus.

FUCK these people!

My favorite part of that was how goddamn GRUMPY the Sand Fakes looked. Seriously, Obara had a frown on that would give Grumpy Cat a run for its money. I didn't even know it was possible to ham up a scene with the Sand Fakes where they don't actually speak, but they found a way.

I think most people on this thread can say with full confidence that they could write better scripts than Dimwit/Worm for adapting ASoIaF.

I feel like an annoying little kid when I talk to shownlies who loved the last scene; I just keep repeating "why?" ad nauseam.

That scene was the only thing I watched at first, I stopped watching the show in any usual way after episode 6, but I did turn it on in the last 15 minutes, because I love Dany and always wanted to see that.

I hated that the scene was poorly written and that all the relevance from the books was gone, that this is about her identity. They never went there with the direwolves and the Stark kids, either. It wasn't worth it.

Who? Last I checked, the general consensus was that GoT is a masterful television drama on the level of Breaking Bad and such (which is quite flattering for GoT...to think that someone actually believes that they are even in the same league is laughable alright).

That scene was the only thing I watched at first, I stopped watching the show in any usual way after episode 6, but I did turn it on in the last 15 minutes, because I love Dany and always wanted to see that.

I hated that the scene was poorly written and that all the relevance from the books was gone, that this is about her identity. They never went there with the direwolves and the Stark kids, either. It wasn't worth it.

Why did you stop watching?

If there is ever a masterful second attempt at adapting ASoIaF, it would be oh so wonderful to see it shame Game of Thrones.

I'm thinking of gather up some talented book purists and doing some fan outlines for S4 and 5. Maybe the odd script even. It'd be a bit of an undertaking but I need the therapy. And I think it'd be a lot of fun.

Archived