So what is HBO's strategy on the Jon Snow question?

Hajk

Thanks for this post. It is so interesting to read the lengths shows will go in order to hide endings!

I was very surprised myself. Although it does make sense since season 1 looked totally as case closed.

BTW, I loved Broadchurch.

Me too. Although less so the 2nd season.

I was very surprised myself. Although it does make sense since season 1 looked totally as case closed.

Agreed. First season was awesome. Second season was tediious and the trial sucked.

Thanks for postingthe link - unfortunately my Norwegian skills are a little ... rusty let's say.

Stupid question: who are the 12 main characters in your opinion b/c I don't count a total of 12.

1. Jon

2. Dany

3. Arya

4. Sansa

5. Bran

6. Cersei

7. Jamie

8. Tyrion

9. Varys

10. Littlefinger

11. Margery

12. Theon

At least those are my 12.

I agree. Maybe I'm slow but what does this imply about the contract rumors out there? If these rumors are indeed wrong or the contracts are in fact non-existent?

What I do not get is KH's response. The article clearly says that the contract does not guarantee a character's continued presence on the show. I do not have the exact context where Kit remarks on this article but let's assume KH announces Jon Snow is dead on the show, and a reporter asks about the new contract, as reported by the Hollywood Reporter. Why didn't Kit just shrug and laugh and say 'well, they killed me off'. The whole 'that article was full of inaccuracies' suddenly draws attention to someplace where attention was not needed. It just seems odd to me. But, like we have all said, we just have to wait and see.

Most of these types of contracts that gets published are incorrect when it comes to the amounts. I would say if the contract reports aren't entirely correct it would be because of the payment the actors receive. The amounts are often inflated.

The reports obviously states that the characters could still die even if they have a new 7 year contract, so it does not tell us if Jon is really dead or not. But I believe it can still tell us something about Jon in season 6.

Kit signed his contract as an A list level actor for the series, as an A list actor there is properly some clauses involved, and from HBO's side they would not sign someone as an A list actor if the role was not important for the series. If Jon is suppose to be resurrected, then they properly cant keep him out of season 6 for to long, and they properly would not want to either. Kit might have some clauses that guarantees a certain amount of screen time within a season. An actor wants screen time if the studio dont or cant deliver a certain amount of screen time, then it would obviously be better for that actor to use his time to work on other projects.

HBO is in a similar position, the character is a popular one so it would be better for them to have the character on screen. For them it would be a loss of money to sign Kit as an A list actor and only use him for 10 minutes in a whole season. It then defies the purpose for signing someone as an A list actor.

To make a long story short if Jon is not suppose to die permanently, then I believe he will be in season 6, and he will not just be used at the end or for a few minutes.

On the other hand while the clause might exist that a character could still die before season 7, Jon's situation is perhaps a bit different. When the contracts were signed for characters such as Rob, Tywin or Catelyn they obviously did not sign contracts for 5 years which stated that they could be killed off before the 5 years. The books is out there so everyone knew exactly when they would be killed. Jon's position is somewhat similar, everyone knew exactly that he was going get stabbed. So in essence they did not actually had to renegotiate Jon's contract at all if he was simply killed off at the end of season 5.

So u BC-watchers HBO is going to do sth similar w/GOT?

Oh yes they will. Something even bigger, IMO. They have to because the attention they get is huge.

He might be seen in the end of the season, worst case scenario. However, I have some doubts about that because if Melisandre is connected with his story and she is there when season 5 finished and Davos is there also, I don't think they will keep all 3 of them off screen for such a long time.

1. Jon

2. Dany

3. Arya

4. Sansa

5. Bran

6. Cersei

7. Jamie

8. Tyrion

9. Varys

10. Littlefinger

11. Margery

12. Theon

At least those are my 12.

Varys, Margery and Littlefinger unlikely given they are not POV characters, more likely Davos should be in there.

Varys, Margery and Littlefinger unlikely given they are not POV characters, more likely Davos should be in there.

agree - but what about Stannis I thought? He appears to me main character in the show but not in the books (since no POV-chapter)

Rhaegar was married to Elia Martell (279 AC)and they had two children, Aegon and Rhaenys. Rhaegar was killed by Robert Baratheon at The Battle of the Trident. Elia and the children were murdered during the Sack of King's Landing. Rhaegar died first but he had apparently fell in love or desired Lyanna in 281AC at The Tourney of Harrenhal where he named her the queen of love and beauty and gave her blue roses. The False Spring according to TWOIAF lasted less than two turns. As the new year approached, Winter came and Rhaegar disappeared and kidnapped Lyanna. In 283 AC Robert slewed Rhaegar and not long afterward ascended to the throne. Not sure of the date Ned found Lyanna but it was not long after the sack of King's Landing. There was plenty of time for Lyanna to have conceived and given birth. I really don't dwell on whether he would be considered legitimate or not. It's just that Rhaegar apparently had a dream or vision early in his youth and felt he had a prophecy to fulfill. IMO....Lyanna was his destiny and he knew it the minute he saw her.

people keep harping on Rhaegar being married, but Targareans often married two wives, including their own sisters. If Rhaegar believed Lyanna was his destiny and was to bear the prince that was promised, there is no reason he would not have married her.

people keep harping on Rhaegar being married, but Targareans often married two wives, including their own sisters. If Rhaegar believed Lyanna was his destiny and was to bear the prince that was promised, there is no reason he would not have married her.

"Often" is misleading. Aegon had two wives, who he married before he ever conquered Westeros. And the only other was Maegor the Cruel. And even then, he was a King, whereas Rhaegar wasn't and would've needed Aerys's permission.

It is conclusive to assume that R+L were married: why else would the Kingsguard remain at the TOJ if not?

I mean, are the released from their vows after the King's/heir's death? Or must they follow his orders even after his death? Let's not forget that A.Dayne was also a close friend to Rhaegar, he could have protected her out of personal loyalty.

There was another hint about Lyanna in the show - I'm re-watching, S4Ep2.

Oberyn tells Tyrion that his sister loved Raegar, beared his children etc and then Raegar left her for another woman.

I thought it interesting that he used the word "left". Doesn't mean marriage but implies this other woman is special.

There was another hint about Lyanna in the show - I'm re-watching, S4Ep2.

Oberyn tells Tyrion that his sister loved Raegar, beared his children etc and then Raegar left her for another woman.

I thought it interesting that he used the word "left". Doesn't mean marriage but implies this other woman is special.

I remember this scene but isn't this totally in line w/the books?

He has lost interest in Elia (she was sickly and weak, it was a political marriage. Not to forget that she is dornish i.e. "rather open" about multiple partners etc) and focused on Lyanna which becomes evident at the Harrenhal Tourney.

Thus I would also conlcude that "his heart" was more bound to Lyanna than to Elia.

I remember this scene but isn't this totally in line w/the books?

He has lost interest in Elia (she was sickly and weak, it was a political marriage. Not to forget that she is dornish i.e. "rather open" about multiple partners etc) and focused on Lyanna which becomes evident at the Harrenhal Tourney.

Thus I would also conlcude that "his heart" was more bound to Lyanna than to Elia.

Not sure about the books but from what I've read here and the show it seems as if the rape story was how Robert saw it. He would not be able to deal with the fact that she went willingly with Raegar etc, so it had to be a kidnapping in his mind. Ned too, right? But others seemed to know that this wasn't the case - Vary's, Littlefinger and let's throw Oberyn in there.

I'd believe those assessments that had no emotional involvement.

So, Raegar loved Lyanna and if the Targaryans had a history of polygamy it wouldn't be a stretch to believe he married her. If so, who knows about it and is there proof.

Not being a book reader I don't know if the Kings Guard would protect a mistress and bastard son if the King is dead? Would they? My guess is no.

Hello, all

I am a first time poster and Jon Snow is my favorite character.

If I am to believe Kit Harrington, when he said that he will not be back for season 6. Could they just do like they did with Bran and leave his story and the Night's Watch story on the back burner, and finish season 6 with a Tower of Joy flashback episode, revealing Jon as the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna and then opening season 7 with the continuation of Jon's story via resurrection or whatever?

Not sure about the books but from what I've read here and the show it seems as if the rape story was how Robert saw it. He would not be able to deal with the fact that she went willingly with Raegar etc, so it had to be a kidnapping in his mind. Ned too, right? But others seemed to know that this wasn't the case - Vary's, Littlefinger and let's throw Oberyn in there.

agreed - and personally opinion: I add Benjen in there as well

Hello, all

If I am to believe Kit Harrington, when he said that he will not be back for season 6. Could they just do like they did with Bran and leave his story and the Night's Watch story on the back burner, and finish season 6 with a Tower of Joy flashback episode, revealing Jon as the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna and then opening season 7 with the continuation of Jon's story via resurrection or whatever?

As I said previously, I don't think they leave St Jon out of 50% of the remaining episodes of the show (assuming 7 seasons just like D&D want it to be)

Hello, all

First of all welcome to the forum!

The big question is whether the show can afford to go without the Jon Snow character for an entire season. Personally I am not really sure they will even bother with the R+L=J reveal in the show. They have hardly done any homework for it (as I argue in the OP of this thread).

Hello, all

As I said previously, I don't think they leave St Jon out of 50% of the remaining episodes of the show (assuming 7 seasons just like D&D want it to be)

Hi Ser Leo - :)

They could but as mentioned above it is doubtful he will be left out entirely. Many reasons have been bandied about here starting with the belief he is not dead and includes character popularity, time remaining in the entire series to complete Jon's story/arc and the actors contract extension to season 6 with option for 7.

Personally I feel that before we see his return we get a flashback and explanation of his parentage. I'm looking forward to that as it will be something the non-book readers won't expect but will make perfect sense and be a great story line. My better half HATES spoilers so I can't say what I know but the question of Jon's parentage has come up so there is big curiosity there. Kills me not to say anything :D

Also, it seems the North will be a strong story line for next season so Jon's story will fit in nicely. But yeah, maybe we won't "see" Jon for half of the episodes but Jon will be discussed and very much a part of the season, if that makes snse.

Archived