So what is HBO's strategy on the Jon Snow question?

Hajk

Kind of interesting how David Nutter told Obama that 'Jon Snow' is deader than dead. What about 'Jon' Taragaryen?

Could HBO strategy be to continue to discuss Jon Snow the character we all know and love is dead and disguise the new character being born in Season 7 as Jon Taragaryen?

I say season 7 as Kit has been reported as saying his not coming back next season and also ties in well with a HBO strategy to keep claiming his dead by us not seeing Kit in production for season 6.

I must say, I still believe even if it sounds fanfiction to everyone else that davos escapes with Jon across the narrow sea to eventually find Danny. Not for love or anything like that but for dragons. He is the only one who knows to defeat the white walkers, the realm needs dragons.

Yeah, Carice is not the sharpest tool in the box as her DVD commentaries betray, and so has probably be told to just say nothing at all times. She already leaked Kit is the best kisser, even when he was not one of the options, and I don't think she was referring to a cut in the attempted seduction scene.

As for deader than dead, well that is not the question - is he being resurrected? is the one we need an answer to.

I'm not sure why you think they haven't been telegraphing his resurrection, or at least someones resurrection. They put Mel with Thoros way back when in season 2 I think where she specifically learns of (apparently) her god bringing Beric back to life 6 times. The usual counter argument to that is it happened so long ago viewers wont remember, and frankly that's a weak argument and underestimates viewers a lot.

That whole Beric/Thoros/Mel situation cannot simply be world building or just chucked in for the sake of it.

Are those casting descriptions reliable by the way? Seems to heavily imply Arthur Dayne will be in a flashback next season. There are two situations where that could be relevant? Well one really that isn't underwhelming.

We already know that they are probably lying about Kit being in season 6 because we will probably see what happens to his body unless something like the wall being knocked down in the first episode killing everyone or causing them to flee, and because of that chaos we don't see what happens to his body.

If they are lying about that, why not lie about Jon being dead for good?

All we know for sure is that we will probably see what happens in the aftermath of the murder, and the only reason we wont is if something drastic happens at the wall immediately after.

There are a lot of questions concerning Jon's return, and with this post I'm going to try my best to stay neutral. I'm not even going to bring up all the contextual/theoretical evidence to prove that Jon Snow isn't dead or is coming back. There is plenty of it, but it's too debatable to talk about at this particular stage of the TV show because D&D now have the freedom to stray away from the books. But I will bring up a few off screen facts concerning the big question that I found to be very interesting.

Kit still hasn’t cut his hair. If he did, (I can't really tell) obviously that will raise some questions but a lot of people on the show wear wigs, so it's not that big of a deal. Jon is also way overdue for a haircut, so that might be why as well, but it also could mean nothing.

Kit apparently wasn't on the SDCC panel, along with D&D and GRRM, most likely to avoid the question of Jon’s potential return, whiiicccchhhh leads to more suspicion. Why avoid a question if there's a straight answer? And at the SDCC panel when asked who would miss Kit the most, literally all of them sat there awkwardly laughing until Maisie gave a very sarcastic answer which was something along the lines of: "We couldn't wait until he was gone." Also, David Nutter unnecessarily added his little conversation with President Obama where he claimed that "Jon Snow is deader than dead," when asked about his most exciting experience with a fan. The context in which he said it was a little wonky because it seems like he's trying to force the statement of "Jon Snow is deader than dead." Like he really didn't need to say that part. We all saw Jon get stabbed. We all saw him bleed out onto the snow. We get it, dude. David doesn't even have a say in what happens on the show sooooo... Anyways, here's the link to the panel to see what I mean, you can see for yourself if it's a little weird or not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFuJnOhlk7c(skip to 43:50)

There's also the fact that Kit told people in interviews that Jon Snow is dead. Of course he's going to say that, why would he say otherwise? Now, you could argue that the wording gives it away: "Jon Snow is dead," could mean that Jon Snow is literally dead but will come back in a different form, or Kit's just flat out lying. But he might not be. Either way, HBO is doing a fantastic job of covering their asses with constantly avoiding the question and shoving the fact that he truly is dead down our throats.

Both sides are obviously debatable, but there's no way to know what will actually happen until April.

Yes, it is on YouTube. Panel included Gwendoline Christie, Liam Cunningham, Carice van Houten, Natalie Dormer, Alfie Allen, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, Conleth Hill, John Bradford, Hannah Murray, director David Nutter, and one of the producers whose name escapes me at the moment (female).

EDIT: Oh, and it's very obvious Carice knows SOMETHING because someone asked her if she had been "hanging out with Thoros and learning any new powers". She stumbled over her words a bit and said that she was as in the dark as everyone else...then she stopped and thought a bit and then quickly said "I can't tell you anything". So I'm thinking they may have already filmed something.

YES I NOTICED THAT TOO. And when asked about Kit everyone awkwardly sat there until Maisie said something sarcastic. The entire panel was very awkward and forced, and there was a lot of comic relief the whole time, provided mainly by Conleth, to ease the tension of some questions.

I'm not sure why you think they haven't been telegraphing his resurrection, or at least someones resurrection. They put Mel with Thoros way back when in season 2 I think where she specifically learns of (apparently) her god bringing Beric back to life 6 times. The usual counter argument to that is it happened so long ago viewers wont remember, and frankly that's a weak argument and underestimates viewers a lot.

That whole Beric/Thoros/Mel situation cannot simply be world building or just chucked in for the sake of it.

Are those casting descriptions reliable by the way? Seems to heavily imply Arthur Dayne will be in a flashback next season. There are two situations where that could be relevant? Well one really that isn't underwhelming.

We already know that they are probably lying about Kit being in season 6 because we will probably see what happens to his body unless something like the wall being knocked down in the first episode killing everyone or causing them to flee, and because of that chaos we don't see what happens to his body.

If they are lying about that, why not lie about Jon being dead for good?

All we know for sure is that we will probably see what happens in the aftermath of the murder, and the only reason we wont is if something drastic happens at the wall immediately after.

1) I think it was in season 3

2) I don't think the majority of viewers has just Alzheimers yet^^ and these "previously on GoT"-flashbacks work wonders

3) If any casting info is reliable, the the ones from Watchers on the Wall

4) either or, they have no other choice than saying Jon is dead. If it is true, why should they say he is alive? If he is alive and state it, they would take away the controversy / spoil tWoW way more than necessary.

YES I NOTICED THAT TOO. And when asked about Kit everyone awkwardly sat there until Maisie said something sarcastic. The entire panel was very awkward and forced, and there was a lot of comic relief the whole time, provided mainly by Conleth, to ease the tension of some questions.

YES! They all looked around at each other like "are we allowed to talk about him?" Haha

Kind of interesting how David Nutter told Obama that 'Jon Snow' is deader than dead. What about 'Jon' Taragaryen?

Could HBO strategy be to continue to discuss Jon Snow the character we all know and love is dead and disguise the new character being born in Season 7 as Jon Taragaryen?

THIS! Nobody is asking the right question. We can all believe Jon Snow is dead, because we believe Jon Stark Targaryen arises. Why doesn't anybody ever ask that?????

I think when they emphasize that Jon is dead, it's because when he comes back, there will be major consequences to him as a character, far more than anything that has happened up till now. I'm not sure what that change entails, but the series has made a point of emphasizing the high cost of magic. For example, Dany's half-resurrection of Khal Drogo killed her unborn son and left her barren.

But even more important, there is also a theme of main characters being broken at the end of the book/season where they are most prominent. This started with Ned dying at the end of season 1, then Tyrion being maimed (worse in the book than the show) and losing his position as Hand of the King at the end of season 2, then Arya losing her whole family in season 3/4 (again, the emphasis on Arya's loss is more obvious in the book, since Robb wasn't ever a POV character and Catelyn's chapters from book 2 on focused more on the people around her than on Catelyn herself), Cersei's walk of atonement at the end of season 5 (Cersei was the most prominent POV in the fourth book where it happened), and finally with Jon's death.

Jon was really the last main character in the series who hadn't had his life completely shattered, and I think his death/resurrection is going to change that. Jon's previous status quo is never coming back. In episode 5 of this season he killed the boy; in 10 the Watch killed the man. Who can say what will be left after that?

Yeah, I think they were trying to keep his story line quiet until GRRM released his next book or something.

Of course, if they really wanted to be all stealth they could have hired a private jet for the man and flown under the cover of darkness and stuff...I mean, where is their 007 spirit?

Kit was seen in the Belfast airport yesterday conveniently at the same time when every other character is reporting to the show's main studio to begin filming for season 6 so I'm now pretty confident he's coming back. The story is over on WotW I think.

Yep.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/07/kit-harington-belfast-jon-snow-season-6-game-of-thrones?

Archived