So what is HBO's strategy on the Jon Snow question?

Hajk

I like to think that the fact he is the 998th lord commander is telling.  That number can't be accident or whimsy.  Lord Commanders serve until they die and I find very unlikely we will get to the end of the series without seeing a 1000th Lord Commander. 

Thus, John died. 

Speculating: The Old Pomegranate will serve a short term as the 999th LC after the coup, but will himself meet an untimely demise. 

I'm not, however, convinced that John will serve as the 1000th LC.  It's too convenient that his death and inevitable resurrection will free him (technically) of his vows to the NW - he'll take that opportunity to do other things and probably leave the NW entirely. 

I like to think that when it all comes around, Sam Tarly will be the 1000th LC.  It's funny, but I think he has a lot more of his father's fabled tactical prowess in his head than anyone expects and will prove himself to be a great leader - probably better than the current NW deserves, and certainly one that lead to either its dissolution or restructuring by the end of the series.

^^ So Sam won't become a maester, or he'll be both Lord Commander and Maester of Castle Black? Is the latter even possible?

Don't know about the latter, but I guess it would make things weird since apparently the Lord Commander leads rangings too. As a maester (with a heavy chain) he is probably to precious to put his life in danger anyway.

Don't know about the latter, but I guess it would make things weird since apparently the Lord Commander leads rangings too. As a maester (with a heavy chain) he is probably to precious to put his life in danger anyway.

Agreed.  I do not think Sam will become a Maester during the course of these books - maybe in epilogue.

I don't think there will be a 1000th LC. I think the watch will be completely purged by the war to come. There may be a handful of survivors, but not remotely enough to keep the NW going. It may be that a new brotherhood is formed, with new vows and rules to live by. But I really can't see the NW surviving at all. It's already dead, it just doesn't know it yet.

^^ So Sam won't become a maester, or he'll be both Lord Commander and Maester of Castle Black? Is the latter even possible?

Not Sam. He won't be 1000th Lord Commander.

Tormund will be.

:cool4:

but am talking more about the books where jorah doesnt have greyscale

Well this is the show part of the forum so...

Not Sam. He won't be 1000th Lord Commander.

Tormund will be.

Tormund as Lord Commander would be cool. Tormund as a Northern Lord would also be cool.

This is the show forum isn't it? I get confused.

Someone before, I can't find the post, mentioned that the number/position of the 1000th Lord Commander is in itself what would break the magic and cause the wall to collapse rather than, as I had been assuming, the person who holds that position. I find that interesting. Either way, seems to be set-up as a marking point.

I'm also assuming Jon will not be Lord Commander when he returns as there either will no longer be a wall to command or the larger battle makes necessary a commander of the North in its entirety. Plus if he is resurrected he'll get the street cred to lead, don't you think?

If indeed a sacrifice needs to be made by Jon, as with the first AA, I have been wondering if it would be Olly? Not as a revenge point but he cares about that boy. Who else would Jon sacrifice if indeed a sacrifice is needed for him to become AA or if a sacrifice is needed to resurrect him would that fulfill this aspect? Am I offbase here? Thoughts?

Jon doesnt give a single fuck about Olly. Not anymore.

Only 2 options for a sacrifice for JON SNOW

GHOST

Now he was a man, now a wolf, now a man again. - posted in A Dance with Dragons

OR

ARYA

Nissa Nissa was the wife of Azor Ahai. He sacrificed her to create the famous sword, Lightbringer.

Nissa Nissa’ he said to her, for that was her name, ‘bare your breast, and know that I love you best of all that is in this world.’

Nissa nissa - In assassin

Jon: First lesson, stick em with the pointy end.

Arya: I know which end to use.

Jon: I'm going to miss you.

Isn't Jon himself dying to be resurrected enough of a sacrifice. I really don't even want to think about him sacrificing Ghost

He is dead. For Now. Remember Ser Beric Dondarion? Thoros of Myr, the firepriest ? Mel is at Castle Black and she is a firepriestess. Jon's body is at Castle Black. Jon is currently dead and do not doubt that however sometimes the dead can come back, not as completely as they were before but they can come back. It just depends on the manner on which they are brought back.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no strategy.  Jon Snow is dead.  At least, show Jon is dead.

The show is the show and the books are the books.  Book Jon may be resurrected or have warged into ghost until such time as he can be resurrected, but that doesn't mean show Jon will be back.  However, if show Jon is dead dead & book Jon isn't, it'll be a pretty massive blunder on the part of the show team.

Time will tell.

I don't think show Jon is dead. 

My guess (whatever it's worth):

This is the show's first real cliffhanger where no bookreader can spoil anything. So they want Jon's death as real to the audience as possible. And possibly also keeping bookreaders at peace. My hope/guess (probably a mixture of both) is, George is gonna release TWOW before the new season airs. So they give/gave George a chance to resolve the cliffhanger before the show airs. If they said something like: Kit is coming back next season and the winds came out in likesay November I assume George would not be too happy about it (and neither would be the readers who then had been spoiled by the show). 

Strange for me that so many people think Jon could be resurrected by Melisandre.
For these people Melisandre was wrong all the time when she was seeing Stannis becoming Azor Ahai but now she ´ll be totally right and will be able to become one of the most powerful priestess in resurrecting Jon?

Oh I think Mel will ressurect Jon but not the way suggested. 

Consider the fact that the Wildings loved Jon and hate Mel. What is their response to Jon's murder? Well offing the remnants of the Nights Watch for a start. And then a bonfire with all the dead to prevent them being resurrected.

So what do they do with the witch at that point? Remember that she burned Mance alive. Time for a bit of revenge. Put her on the bonfire.

At witch point we do have a way to resurrect Jon as AAR. He is born in salt (DragonsEnd) and smoke (the pyre). Burning a witch was necessary to hatch the dragon eggs. So burn mel to resurrect Jon. 

Archived