[Book spoilers] Could the Show be Rearranging this Plot Line?

snfo

So I was thinking about how (or even if) the show is going to approach a certain plot line that should be coming up here pretty soon. Book spoilers below...

With Davos now back at the wall and no introduction of House Manderly, who is going to find Rickon? I was trying to imagine what characters they could give this to. It seems the best choice would be Theon and Sansa. Since Theon knows that they escaped from Winterfell, he could sort of play the role of Wex. But, seeing as how Theon never tracked Osha and Rickon from Winterfell (as Wex did in the books) I'm not exactly sure how he would know where to start. Maybe Theon and Sansa could run into someone that saw them heading east toward Skagos or something like that... Who knows. It's a little implausible but that's never stopped the showrunners before!

Then I came upon another thought. First of all I do not believe Brienne executed Stannis. I feel we were misled in that final scene. Stannis says "Go on, do your duty", and Brienne looks doubtful for a split second there. Executing Stannis is not her duty. If he is not dead, than this would also (in a way) mirror her last chapter in A Feast for Crows (not to mention what we hear about Davos in the same book during Cersei's small council meeting). Instead of us wondering if Brienne is dead like in the book (and also worrying about the reports about Davos from White Harbor), they may have condensed this all down to misleading us about Stannis' death.

This may be a bit of a stretch, I know. But do you think maybe Brienne, Pod, and a captured Stannis could run into Theon and Sansa after their escape from Winterfell? My point is this: Maybe the showrunners are giving Davos' plot line of finding Rickon to Stannis as some kind of redemptive arc.

I'm probably totally wrong but it's always fun to theorize :D.

The problem I see is what is Davos' reason to help. He holds no alliegance to anyone now. Unless he opts to take the Black and is ordered to go by Jon, if Jon lives. Melissandra is enough conjecture to give reason to know where to look, but you have to have a reason for him to look and you have him to want to look. At this point, he is more likely to want to return to his remaining children.

To some degree I think the show is just going to forget about Rickon. He is to young to play a role until much later. By then, perhaps the show can send Brienne.

The problem I see is what is Davos' reason to help. He holds no alliegance to anyone now. Unless he opts to take the Black and is ordered to go by Jon, if Jon lives. Melissandra is enough conjecture to give reason to know where to look, but you have to have a reason for him to look and you have him to want to look. At this point, he is more likely to want to return to his remaining children.

To some degree I think the show is just going to forget about Rickon. He is to young to play a role until much later. By then, perhaps the show can send Brienne.

I posted on another thread that if Stannis is alive, he'd take the black to atone for his sins and order Davos to aide Sansa in reclaiming the North, his role would be to find Rickon.

If Sansa is alive and in the North, who needs Rickon? In the books, no one knows where she is. In the farce TV show, everyone knows where she is.

Male rulers (even toddler ones) are more accepted than female ones.

Sansa is unlikely to be willing to serve as a rallying point and Winterfell claimant for Stark loyalists when she knows her brother's alive.

I posted on another thread that if Stannis is alive, he'd take the black to atone for his sins and order Davos to aide Sansa in reclaiming the North, his role would be to find Rickon.

Based on what he has done in the show, if Stannis is alive Davos is done with him. I can not see him standing by Stannis any longer once he finds out what he has done. Either he would take revenge on Melissandra or return to his remaining children. I say the second is more likely.

This is very much a role reversal from the books. At this point in the books, the world believes Davos dead and Stannis alive. Here we believe Stannis dead and Davos alive.

I also think Shireen may be the twist GRRM is contemplating. Her disease may have played a role in the coming battle. Perhaps the others are highly suceptible to the disease or maybe it makes her immune to them. Either way, the show has burned that bridge. The book still has the option.

I don't buy Stannis being alive. I'm not saying he's dead for sure, it just seems too unlikely.

Anyway, I think the northen plotline could make sense without him. Davos is the absolute good-guy, who will obviously despise the Boltons when he finds out what they've been up to (if he doesn't already know). He could turn to the Stark side for moral reasons.

Sansa and Theon are out in the North now, and -knowing the show's love or coincidences- could easily run into lord Umber or another Stark loyalist. The same applies for Brienne and Pod. Rickon and Osha are waiting in the Last Hearth, so there's no need for an experienced saylor or even an expedition.

I'm less sure about how Davos fits in, but supposing he has to leave the wall, the Last Hearth is the closest safe place to go.

The show has dug itself into a hole. Davos has nothing to do now. Why would he rescue Rickon, he holds no loyalty to the Starks or anyone else. He followed Stannis because he saw a man that would bring justice to Westeros. We will probably get some crap with him next season, or they will force in how he is going to rally the north behind Rickon.

I once read a theory in which Davos bonded with Rickon during his journey back from Skagos and became a Stark supporter one he found out Stannis was dead. I'm not sure if I believe it, but if it does turn out true, they could make Davos switch simply because he's a "good guy".

By show standards, it's a believable reason.

The show has dug itself into a hole. Davos has nothing to do now. Why would he rescue Rickon, he holds no loyalty to the Starks or anyone else. He followed Stannis because he saw a man that would bring justice to Westeros. We will probably get some crap with him next season, or they will force in how he is going to rally the north behind Rickon.

He has nothing invested in Rickon, sure, but they might have him try to save Rickon because he couldn't save Shrieen.

Davos is stuck in a corner imo. I have no idea what he's going to do. He has no allegiances now. Shireen dead. Stannis presumed dead. He never liked Mel.

Why would he go look for Rickon? What's the purpose?

That only leaves me with 3 things:

1) Stannis lives. Davos lives to serve Stannis.

2) He helps the North (finds Rickon) as revenge against the Boltons for killing Stannis.

3) He buys into the whole AA reborn stuff with Mel and serves JonReborn from now on.

EDIT: The theory 2 posts above me makes sense too. I can see Davos bonding with Rickon and serving a new Lord/King.

But the only problem is why would he go after Rickon now? The Manderlys can't swear to take Stannis as their King because he's dead. They can't take Shireen as their queen, because she's dead. What do they have to offer Davos?

You guys assume that Theon and Sansa make it to the Wall. I wouldn't put it past D and D to take another nonsensical detour in their plot line after this season. Maybe Davos doesn't even start the search for Rickon. I mean, he should, but they should have had Northern Lords at Winterfell and that didn't happen.

I'm afraid Davos dies in the aftermath of Jon's stabbing. Stannis had zo send him away to burn Shireen, now IMHO Davos is without a purpose as I don't think the show will do Osha and Rickon. Going by the meaning of "shaggydog story" I don't think that Rickon will have a significant part to play.

I had an idea that Davos will hug Melisandre and jump Jon's funeral pyre with her, leading to Azor Ahai reborn. Probably doesn't make much sense, but would tie a few plot points for the tv show.

Archived