Crafts and DIY

Quorra

I do all sorts of crafts, sewing, crocheting and I am wanting to carve on wood. It will be my next big adventure. I did build my son a 2 story fort, and when it fell out of use I took it apart and built an arbor, 2 chairs & table and a bench.

Lately, I have made a ton of dragon eggs...very cool looking and easy, if a bit tedious

(I should make a page of all these things, share the ideas and such)

I love your blog and etsy shop!

I do all sorts of crafts, sewing, crocheting and I am wanting to carve on wood. It will be my next big adventure. I did build my son a 2 story fort, and when it fell out of use I took it apart and built an arbor, 2 chairs & table and a bench.

Lately, I have made a ton of dragon eggs...very cool looking and easy, if a bit tedious

I have witnessed these dragon eggs, and they are amazing. How did you make them? I think my mum would love one for Christmas. (And I have 5 months to get it horribly wrong several times before it finally goes right! :P )

LOL! Have you ever put pizza rolls on a pizza? I know there is now a pizza with mini pigs in blankets (pig in a blankets?) forming the crust but I wonder about using pizza rolls as a crust. The way around the inevitable pizza roll explosion is 3-fold. First, start with frozen rolls and a partially cooked pizza, adhering the rolls to the crust with melted cheese since they're not baked in, and steam vents in the rolls (so they're essentially mini calzones)

A real easy mini-pizza can be made from an English muffin, tomato sauce, pepperoni, and sprinkled with mozzarella cheese. I used to pre-toast them (not too much) and then finish them off in the toaster oven.

They're not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination, but they'll please a kid.

I'm a great DIY-er. My parents always made stuff themselves, so I grew up thinking I could make ANYTHING. I've screen-printed original art, sewn pinch-pleated LARGE draperies, framed stuff, painted pictures, and many other things. I've forgotten more stuff I've made than I remember (probably for the best. :P )

I've always wanted to work with mosaic tiles and cover outdoor tabletops, plant pots, mirror frames, etc.

I have witnessed these dragon eggs, and they are amazing. How did you make them? I think my mum would love one for Christmas. (And I have 5 months to get it horribly wrong several times before it finally goes right! :P )

A styrofoam egg. 300-400 thumbtacks (depending on the size of the egg), paint, nail polish. a piece of cardboard

I put thumb tacks into a piece of cardboard, I have been using spray paint for the base coat (black & almond), then I use glitter nail polish on them, then paint a clear nail polish top coat on them

I start at the top of the egg, and just overlap the thumb tacks going down & around (all of it is a bit tedious, really)

Here is my album of pictures

No, but I've thought about it. My mom and step dad do shows and sell their crafts - she sees and he does wood working and they average about $1000 per day. It's their entire income now that theyre retired and she has asked why I haven't sold them. Maybe if I had more time. Right now I just make them for me and for gifts... For friends who aren't going to be offended lol I am making the "Kiss My Ass", "Hell is Other People", " I wish I were a unicorn so I could stab all the useless people with my head", "Shut your whore mouth" and "Say hello to my little friend". Oh and " Don't make me cut you" lmfao

The subversive stuff does quite well on Etsy.

My Etsy :

www.etsy.com/shop/ThePointyEnd

( don't have any new items listed right now, but feel free to check out the sales page)

I love doing what my husband and kids call artsy fartsy stuff. Always have.

I make artisan pizzas. I buy a tombstone cheese pizza and throw a bunch of leftover junk from the fridge in there and then shove it in the oven. sometimes i pass out and it stays in there all night. I call that 'burning one down'. I had to disconnect the smoke alarm but on the plus side all the smoke drives out the ants, mice, and other normal kitchen critters.

So I guess you could say I'm a DIY professional chef and exterminator.

eta; but really i just make stuff I need, or get a broke something for free and fix it, mostly because i am a tightwad when it comes to that stuff.

This is awesome and needs to be re-posted in this thread.

EDIT: I make a lot of stuff out of wood. I like using reclaimed lumber. We tore down an old barn a couple summers ago and I got a ton of material from that. I also have access to as many pallets as a guy could ever use. I use the pallets more for things like signs and decorative things rather than furniture at this point. I also built our house. I am really close to selling furniture on Etsy, just need more time to actually make stuff.

I also make stencils for super bowl shirts and stuff like that. Last fall I paper macheted a helmet for my halloween costume and made a battle ax as well.

My wife has a crafting group that meets once a month, mainly for wine and pizza I think.

"I also built our house."

Yeah, no big thing...

Well I had help with the framing...wouldn't trust myself with that piece.

A few summers working construction during college has been invaluable to me. Being able to be your own general contractor on your house can save you a ton of money, but if you have no idea what you are doing it would likely be an immense headache. Our 24x36 pole shed is my biggest project all by myself.

I really love working with wood. To furnish our house I have made (from barnwood): a bar, entertainment center, chest, bookshelves, and other accessories. I have also made from no reclaimed wood a couple nightstands and dressers.

I just finished a hall tree/entryway bench-coat rack for my sister-in-law made from two old doors creatively joined. I turned out really awesome. She wanted it painted white, but the bench and shelf area stained wood and it all goes really well together.

This thread is making me feel pretty inadequate ( at least more so than usual ) - I'd love to see pictures of the stuff you all make.

My mom does make stuff with mosaic tiles - she recently made lamp and a table-top. Definitely stealing the lamp when I head back to uni.

A styrofoam egg. 300-400 thumbtacks (depending on the size of the egg), paint, nail polish. a piece of cardboard

I put thumb tacks into a piece of cardboard, I have been using spray paint for the base coat (black & almond), then I use glitter nail polish on them, then paint a clear nail polish top coat on them

I start at the top of the egg, and just overlap the thumb tacks going down & around (all of it is a bit tedious, really)

Here is my album of pictures

Ahh I see! How strange, I dreamed about this last night, and decided to buy one from you :lol: Even in my dreams, I'm lazy as hell.

You really should, your stuff is lovely.

Ahh I see! How strange, I dreamed about this last night, and decided to buy one from you :lol: Even in my dreams, I'm lazy as hell.

I would also do this :p

I used to make cards, but haven't done that for ages. I don't know if that really counts though, since it didn't take a great deal of skill. The decoupage ones were fun to do, if I could find an image I wanted

:lol: That's kinda funny. You should give it a try though. Good thing to do while watching tv in the evening

I would also do this :P

I used to make cards, but haven't done that for ages. I don't know if that really counts though, since it didn't take a great deal of skill. The decoupage ones were fun to do, if I could find an image I wanted

Cards totally count!

And thanks. I have started an album. I decided to sort them by "like items" and not when I made them. There are hundreds more to add still though

I would also do this :P

Good images **are** really hard to find. Where did you used to find yours? What sort of images are you looking for? I have old clip art books, but they're all in black and white to be water colored in.

I notice that most greeting cards now don't use original artwork either. The prices are going sky high too. :angry:

Archived