Crafts and DIY

Quorra

Do you make things? What do you make? Are you crafty? What have you built or made yourself that you are proud of? What would you like to make?

I like making things. Especially holiday decorations. Wreaths, garlands. I made some cone lanterns out of air-dry modeling clay. This craft can be seen here, with instructions. http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2013/12/diy-porcelain-holiday-tree-lights.html

This site linked here - A Beautiful Mess - has a lot of craft ideas and instructions.

I like to make braided cords with a lucet. They're fairly simple to make and don't take very long. I don't usually do anything with the cords once I'm finished; it's just sort of a way to pass the time when I'm bored. I also love cross-stitch samplers.

I made homemade marshmallows several times. I made 3 gift packages: Gingerbread Cocoa Mix with Maple Marshmallows, Mocha Cocoa Mix with Peppermint Marshmallows, and Chili Cocoa Mix with Vanilla Bean Marshmallows.

I like to make braided cords with a lucet. They're fairly simple to make and don't take very long. I don't usually do anything with the cords once I'm finished; it's just sort of a way to pass the time when I'm bored. I also love cross-stitch samplers.

You could give them away as gifts.

I'm pretty crafty... take that as you will :) I learned how to knit a few years ago and made everyone in my family something, which I think caused my carpal tunnel, but I've got some kick ass slippers! I also did the hemp necklace thing when I was 18-20. Nowadays, I just don't have time for it between bands/music, dogs, homeownership, work, and other stuff that fills the day.

I made homemade marshmallows several times. I made 3 gift packages: Gingerbread Cocoa Mix with Maple Marshmallows, Mocha Cocoa Mix with Peppermint Marshmallows, and Chili Cocoa Mix with Vanilla Bean Marshmallows.

You could give them away as gifts.

I give the pretty ones to my sister, haha. Most of the time I will just unravel the ugly ones and do them over and over again.

I make furniture and about anything I can think of out of wood. Tables, night stands, bookcases, closet systems, work tables, desks, etc.

As a kid, I used to make cardboard playsets for my Star Wars figures, including an AT AT made from a McDonalds drink tray turned upside down with rolled up cardboard stuck in the cup holders as legs. Later, I built a 6 story base out of wood for my GI Joe figures. It was an "underground" base, so the top was a army base that had working elevator for vehicles to take them down. The base had offices, motor pool, training areas, bunk rooms, mess halls, rec room, and jail cells.

I spent hours playing with that thing. Sadly, my boys now don't show any interest in it.

Does anyone solder metal for sculptures? I've been collecting scrap metal for a year now, lots of little things, and I still haven't done anything with it but I want to. I have a soldering iron and some wire that you melt. But I'm just not sure how to start. It would be nice if I could temporarily adhere all the pieces together, just to see how it would look. I'm not sure how I'll manage soldering things together sculpturally, either, in mid-air, with my hands full managing the iron and the wire. I might need some clamps or something, some sort of base or frame to work with.

I make furniture and about anything I can think of out of wood. Tables, night stands, bookcases, closet systems, work tables, desks, etc.

As a kid, I used to make cardboard playsets for my Star Wars figures, including an AT AT made from a McDonalds drink tray turned upside down with rolled up cardboard stuck in the cup holders as legs. Later, I built a 6 story base out of wood for my GI Joe figures. It was an "underground" base, so the top was a army base that had working elevator for vehicles to take them down. The base had offices, motor pool, training areas, bunk rooms, mess halls, rec room, and jail cells.

I spent hours playing with that thing. Sadly, my boys now don't show any interest in it.

:wub:

Makes furniture.....that's hot.

I used to make dollhouse furniture. I was always on the lookout for anything that could be re-purposed or transformed. Mini single-serve cereal boxes made great clothes wardrobes. I was like, "Mom, if anyone gets magically shrunk down in this family we will be set, no problem." and she was like "Why can't you make something useful?"

As a child I used to make the most useless crafts out of garbage. I basically upcycled garbage into garbage that would take even longer to biodegrade and make my mother feel guilty for throwing away. But it was good practice.

I have seen some impressive dioramas made by adults, an internet search of the hobbit hole dollhouse will show you.

I did some ambitious DIY in our first two houses but now I outsource. Results were pretty good but it took me much longer than a pro - usually because some unforeseen twist required an additional trip to Home Depot - and the quality was good but not as seamless as a trained, practiced pro.

I make mustard. I've recently figured out the bitterness/saltiness axis, after having mastered the (much less challenging) acid/sugar axis. Now I make the best mustard in the world.

I do all sorts of crafts, sewing, crocheting and I am wanting to carve on wood. It will be my next big adventure. I did build my son a 2 story fort, and when it fell out of use I took it apart and built an arbor, 2 chairs & table and a bench.

Lately, I have made a ton of dragon eggs...very cool looking and easy, if a bit tedious

(I should make a page of all these things, share the ideas and such)

I make artisan pizzas. I buy a tombstone cheese pizza and throw a bunch of leftover junk from the fridge in there and then shove it in the oven. sometimes i pass out and it stays in there all night. I call that 'burning one down'. I had to disconnect the smoke alarm but on the plus side all the smoke drives out the ants, mice, and other normal kitchen critters.

So I guess you could say I'm a DIY professional chef and exterminator.

eta; but really i just make stuff I need, or get a broke something for free and fix it, mostly because i am a tightwad when it comes to that stuff.

OMG I'm dying!!!! "Artisan pizzas"

ETA: Wait, so music is 'crafts & diy'? I've built guitar effects pedals.... I guess that's diy. And an amp... once.... but it didn't work so well....

I make threads...a lot of them. Whatever crosses my mind I make a thread about on a fantasy message board.

We could start a club! Call ourselves The Thready Ruxbins. or The Thready Roosevelts. Or The Grateful Thread. We'll vote on a name at our first meeting.

I make artisan pizzas. I buy a tombstone cheese pizza and throw a bunch of leftover junk from the fridge in there and then shove it in the oven. sometimes i pass out and it stays in there all night. I call that 'burning one down'. I had to disconnect the smoke alarm but on the plus side all the smoke drives out the ants, mice, and other normal kitchen critters.

So I guess you could say I'm a DIY professional chef and exterminator.

eta; but really i just make stuff I need, or get a broke something for free and fix it, mostly because i am a tightwad when it comes to that stuff.

LOL! Have you ever put pizza rolls on a pizza? I know there is now a pizza with mini pigs in blankets (pig in a blankets?) forming the crust but I wonder about using pizza rolls as a crust. The way around the inevitable pizza roll explosion is 3-fold. First, start with frozen rolls and a partially cooked pizza, adhering the rolls to the crust with melted cheese since they're not baked in, and steam vents in the rolls (so they're essentially mini calzones)

We could start a club! Call ourselves The Thready Ruxbins. or The Thready Roosevelts. Or The Grateful Thread. We'll vote on a name at our first meeting.

I vote 'The Talking Threads', though the Thready Ruxbins are a very close second....

I vote 'The Talking Threads', though the Thready Ruxbins are a very close second...

I love it! T-shirts, with slogans like 'Threads must be the Place' and 'Stop Making Threads' (But we won't ever stop.)

This has got to be the nerdiest club that ever existed, even in theory.

I cross stitch stuff like this: http://www.subversivecrossstitch.com/

Right now I'm working on one that says "kiss my ass" and is bordered with little lips and x's. I look for the gold frames at Goodwill and places like that and hope to make them for Christmas presents this year. Unfortunately I will have to make some without curse words for some family members.

Do you sell these? Etsy shop?

Archived