Small Questions v. 10102

We know that Aerys II is pretty crazy and paranoid, but we also know that he often had reason to be paranoid.

Was there any reason for Aerys to think that Prince Lewyn betrayed Rhaegar on the Trident or was it more so that Aerys couldn't accept that Rhaegar had been defeated?

He did not like or trust the Dornish at the time, and he wasn't happy with the Rhaegar and Elia match either.\

From the world book.

When Prince Rhaegar returned to the Red Keep to present his daughter to his own mother and father, Queen Rhaella embraced the babe warmly, but King Aerys refused to touch or hold the child and complained that she "smells Dornish."

Quick question. The app' states that Rhaegar's dying word was "Lyanna." Has this been confirmed by Elio or GRRM? In other words, is this 100% cannon or not?

Edit: just noticed this is debated on page 12 of the latest R+L=J thread as well... Haven't seen any authoritative answer though.

Regarding the app

It is semi-canon. It contains material contributions from GRRM, and its text was reviewed by him. That said, it is not fully canon because GRRM reserves the right to change details noted in the app when he actually sits down to publish the details in the course of the novels. As a notable example,, his vision of the relationship of Bloodraven to what happened in Maekar's reign changed substantially when he sat down and wrote his contributions for the world book, and we'll be getting the app corrected in that regard.

Whether he is likely to change details noted in the app regarding Lyanna when he finally publishes the novels, I couldn't tell you, but I am doubtful.

I seem to recall an ssm about it too, but I can't find it atm.

We know that Aerys II is pretty crazy and paranoid, but we also know that he often had reason to be paranoid.

Was there any reason for Aerys to think that Prince Lewyn betrayed Rhaegar on the Trident or was it more so that Aerys couldn't accept that Rhaegar had been defeated?

I assume the dornish fell out of his favor when the dornishmen began to flock to Rhaegar.

The dornishmen were slow to send aid to Aerys, as Doran was both bring cautious, as well as furious about Elia's treatment. He only send ten thousand men in the end.

Aerys might have wanted to blame someone for Rhaegar losing. And the Dornishmen had cause to be angry at both Aerys (for making Eia and her children hostages) and Rhaegar (for Elia's treatment), and would benefit if both men died (as Aegon wound be next in line). I assume this is why he became suspicious, blamed the Dornishmen, and named Viserys his heir.

He did not like or trust the Dornish at the time, and he wasn't happy with the Rhaegar and Elia match either.\

From the world book.
When Prince Rhaegar returned to the Red Keep to present his daughter to his own mother and father, Queen Rhaella embraced the babe warmly, but King Aerys refused to touch or hold the child and complained that she "smells Dornish."

Aerys gave his OK to the match, so if he had been opposed it, it wouldn't have happened. The fact that the match was a slap in the face to Tywin undoubtly pleased him.

Aerys gave his OK to the match, so if he had been opposed it, it wouldn't have happened. The fact that the match was a slap in the face to Tywin undoubtly pleased him.

Yes, but we know Elia wasn't his first choice.  He settled for her after Lord Steffon Baratheon failed to find a suitable wife in Volantis.

Yes, but we know Elia wasn't his first choice.  He settled for her after Lord Steffon Baratheon failed to find a suitable wife in Volantis.

That she wasn't the first choice, is not the same as Aerys not having been happy with the match. Whatever girl could have been found in Volantis wouldn't have been his first choice either.. that had been a daughter, but he needed someone else as he had no daughter. In Volantis, no suitable bride could be found. Whoever initiated the match (the Princess of Dorne, Rhaegar, or, the unlikeliest of the three, Aerys himself), in the end, Aerys had the final word. He could have said no. Instead he said yes.

Aerys' actions seem desperate to avoid the Cersei match (we all understand why), going so far as to sending Steffon Baratheon to the Free Cities in an attempt to find a match of suitable quality for Rhaegar. If Aerys had sought the match earlier I could see the possibility of him liking the match at first and turning off to the Dornish later on, but there is no reason to wait unless he some reservations about the match since Elia is a bit older than Rhaegar.

The way it stands, the match with Elia reads to me as the most palatable of two unpalatable choices.

I wonder if there is any  clue about the dark pool in Winterfells goodswood? I am reading CoK again, and Osha emerges from the pool, surprinsing Bran and Hodor. She says she wanted to reach the bottom but failed to do so. Bran himself didnt knew the pool had a bottom, which is very odd. 

winterfellbeyondthewall, I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything I was being for real, there's no way any of us could know, it is not something anyone currently alive could know, so its not anywhere in the text.

Don't worry I wasn't offended or anything! I just keep wondering I haven't found anything concerning this matter in the books either, nor in the WOIAF so maybe we just have to speculate...but I would really love to know

@ the Harvest Feast, shortly after the Reeds say their Oath, this occurred::

"When the singer reached the part in 'The Night that Ended', where the Night's Watch rode forth to meet the Others in the Battle for the Dawn, he blew a blast that set all the dogs to barking"

This suggest that perhaps the Horn of Winter has a high-pitch - a pitch that upsets the dogs... Maybe the Horn or winter (or horn or Joramen I don't know if they are one or two horns) works much like a dog whistle... People cannot hear it, but dogs & perhaps Others can... 

Somewhere, Jon or Sam recalls the time when Jon gave Sam the Horn & the Dragon Glass Dagger... I cannot find this place, it must have occurred in a later chapter, or even a later book as a recollection of Jon or Sam... If one of them attempted to sound the horn, then it was the horn that brought the others to the fist of first men...

Just guessing... Knowing how GRRM works, he would not have included "he blew a blast that set all the dogs to barkingfor no reason... it has to mean something...

Twice we have the horn being sounded & soon afterwards the Others appear & battle ensues... Once in the historical song... Once on the Fist of First Men...

---

Furthermore, Sam kept the horn & maybe that is why the Other he killed approached him... The Other thought that Sam was on his team & let his guard down... Is this possible???

--

So can someone tell me when/where Sam or Jon attempted to sound the horn???

Archived