Football ninety-nein: King Louis tosses his toys

MLS continues to embarrass itself by fielding an "all-star" team which features only two players from the top three clubs (including NONE from joint first place DC United). It's a league that doesn't even know how to properly celebrate itself. It wants to be taken seriously, but it pushes its big names into the spotlight as much as possible to 'prove' its credibility. Even the idea of playing MLS players who are in mid-season form against big European clubs in their preseasons is pretty lame.

I'd be curious if any non-MLS supporters could recognize any of the names of the 'designated players' from FC Dallas, DC United or Vancouver Whitecaps, who currently lead the league. Fuck, I'd be curious if Don Garber could even recognize them!

But during pre-season training camp they focus only on training in a specialized location for 2 months with very little distraction and only a couple of warm-up games at the end.

Because they have to travel all season and play so many games, their pre-season prep is much more dedicated.

I'm not so sure about that.

Just checked online and it says that NHL training camps start in September, which makes it a month of pre-season training at the most.

I guess players are expected to show up meeting some fitness requirements and I'm sure they train during the off-season, but then again, I'm sure something similar goes for football players as well.

I'm not so sure about that.
Just checked online and it says that NHL training camps start in September, which makes it a month of pre-season training at the most.
I guess players are expected to show up meeting some fitness requirements and I'm sure they train during the off-season, but then again, I'm sure something similar goes for football players as well.

Don't they have roll on roll off substitutions in Ice Hockey? If they do I'd imagine there's rather different fitness requirements.

Don't they have roll on roll off substitutions in Ice Hockey? If they do I'd imagine there's rather different fitness requirements.

Yes, there are line changes in ice hockey, with shifts sometimes being as short as 30-40 seconds.

Still, I'd say that the effort and fitness level required are significantly higher than in football.

During those short shifts, players still have to skate, shoot, pass, try to block shots, try to intercept passes, hit, get hit or avoid getting hit and who knows what else.

Those are among the most intense 40 seconds in sports, definitely. And star players rack up 25-30 minutes of game time per match.

Yes but the energy expended per game by key players is still very, very high. Their conditioning is pretty incredible. Same for basketball.

Have you ever tried sprinting on ice skates? Even most physically fit people in the world can only play half a game.

In basketball, stars like Lebron and Durant play almost the entire game.

I hate baseball.

As for American Football, the games optimized for 300 lb men running 10 yards really fast, partly as a result of free substitutions.

It'd be interesting to see how Association Football would be played with free substitutions. I imagine it'd be little like hockey with line changes and more sprinting. I guess there'd also be specialty set piece attack and defense groupings.

I remember a time when hockey players used to smoke on the bench between shifts.

Having said that, you'd never make it in any major professional league in any sport these days without suitable conditioning. It's too competitive at the top.

I've got the physique of a darts champion maybe. Except being tall probably isnt good for darts, is it?

The real question is, though, would you be able to handle the 20-pints-a-day training regimen that darts players have to endure?

Well, I suppose I could cut back a little if the season's not too long.

I remember a time when hockey players used to smoke on the bench between shifts.

• "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
  • "I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep."
  • "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life."

George Best, ladies and gentlemen!

Archived