Football ninety-nein: King Louis tosses his toys

I know I complained about it last year too but is the marketing impact really worth Liverpool doing a preseason tour in Australia, Thailand and Malaysia?  The amount of travel and marketing appearances has to to have a negative impact on training and fitness.  And we looked noticeably unfit last season for the first couple of months.

Yeah, didn't United do one the year before they walked the league? Plus, Liverpool is probably the most popular team in the far east - at least it felt that way when I was there. It's great for the fans in that part of the world. 

So Karim Benzema is on his way... somewhere. Where he goes, nobody knows, but I reckon if I hustle over to London Colney I might just catch him going in the training ground gates...

That story is so strange. He posts that picture on instagram with those words fully knowing the reaction but then I saw pictures of him with Madrid in China. So when was that picture taken and why is he trolling Arsenal fans?

Miguel Herrera sacked. Apparently it's about alleged assaults in Mexican football journalism.

Here's my favorite part: Herrera allegedly assaulted the journalist in line at the TSA in the Philadelphia airport. And yet the TSA says they have no evidence of any such thing. And if you've had the pleasure of flying in the US you know the TSA would have used unreasonable force to quell any melee, along with airport police. Mexican journalists just don't like the guy.

http://www.espnfc.com/mexico/story/2539748/mexico-federation-sacks-miguel-herrera-after-alleged-brawl

United are arriving in Chicago today.  My employer is a big sponsor and has offered access to a variety of events to hover in the periphery of their presence.  I'm still declining disdainfully.  I'm just lucky that none of my clients were asking to attend their game.  Liverpool don't have anything close to the same marketing presence here.  United, Arsenal and Chelsea really have the big name awareness here.

I know I complained about it last year too but is the marketing impact really worth Liverpool doing a preseason tour in Australia, Thailand and Malaysia?  The amount of travel and marketing appearances has to to have a negative impact on training and fitness.  And we looked noticeably unfit last season for the first couple of months.

Let me put it this way - NBA and NHL players have 82 matches during the regular season, and they travel all over North America to do so.

I don't see them struggling with fitness, do you?

That story is so strange. He posts that picture on instagram with those words fully knowing the reaction but then I saw pictures of him with Madrid in China. So when was that picture taken and why is he trolling Arsenal fans?

Because he's an ass, that's why.

A great striker, no doubt about that. Still, an ass.

It's not 'banter'. It's just being a dick. He's good at that.

Mourinho's Inter team were not remotely the best team in Europe, in fact they were probably the most eye-bleedingly bad team he ever created. If I were Mourinho I would never mention that Inter team, just pretend it never happened.

Berbatov's maybe coming back to the Premiership yay!

I find it hard to imagine his style and Sherwood's style being a comfortable fit. But if an arm around the shoulder works for his confidence the way it apparently did for Benteke and Adebayor, we could see a few final glimmers of that Berba magic, which would be lovely.

It's not 'banter'. It's just being a dick. He's good at that.

Mourinho's Inter team were not remotely the best team in Europe, in fact they were probably the most eye-bleedingly bad team he ever created. If I were Mourinho I would never mention that Inter team, just pretend it never happened.

The fact he won the Champions' League with "most eye-bleedingly bad team he ever created" says a lot about him, doesn't it?

I'd say that result gives him the right to call that team the best team in Europe, at that time of course.

Berbatov's maybe coming back to the Premiership yay!

I find it hard to imagine his style and Sherwood's style being a comfortable fit. But if an arm around the shoulder works for his confidence the way it apparently did for Benteke and Adebayor, we could see a few final glimmers of that Berba magic, which would be lovely.

I've read rumours about Adebayor going to Villa, too.

He did perform rather well at times, one of those times being when Sherwood was his manager at Tottenham, unless I'm mistaken.

The fact he won the Champions' League with "most eye-bleedingly bad team he ever created" says a lot about him, doesn't it?

I'd say that result gives him the right to call that team the best team in Europe, at that time of course.

It says about as much about Mourinho as Greece's Euro 2004 victory says about Otto Rehhagel. He also had the right to call his team the best in Europe, at that time of course, didn't he? Doesn't change the fact that both teams were eye-bleedingly bad. 

It says about as much about Mourinho as Greece's Euro 2004 victory says about Otto Rehhagel. He also had the right to call his team the best in Europe, at that time of course, didn't he? Doesn't change the fact that both teams were eye-bleedingly bad. 

I wouldn't say Greece was a bad team, though there is no doubt they were mind-numbingly boring to watch.

They realized that they had snowball's chance in hell of winning anything by trying to outflash their opponents and acted accordingly.

Don't blame them because none of their opponents could score goals that would knock Greece out of the tournament.

On the other hand, Inter did beat Barca 3-1 in the first leg of their Champions' League semi-final matchup and still everyone focuses on the second leg stalemate when talking about Inter from that period.

Did Inter focus on defending when it suited them? Of course they did.

Were they as bad as Rechagel's Greece? Definitely not!

And Inter weren't even the assholes of the season then.

I'm pretty sure we all remember Nou Kamp staff turning the sprinklers on to mess with Inter's celebration of advancing to the finals.

In fairness to Mourinho I thought it was a beaut of a rebuttal though the wife teed it up for him. How Benitez got the Real job is beyond me. He dismantled what was a very strong Inter unit, at Napoli didn't even manage to get out of their CL group and couldn't even secure CL football for this season in spite of being serie A big spenders.

The Chelsea boss spoke after Benitez's wife joked her husband was "tidying up" another Mourinho "mess" at Real.

As well as Real, Benitez also managed Chelsea - although he did not directly replace Mourinho at either club.

"The lady is a bit confused," Mourinho, 52, said after Chelsea's International Champions Cup win over Barcelona.

"Her husband went to Chelsea to replace Roberto Di Matteo and he went to Real Madrid and replaced Carlo Ancelotti.

"The only club where her husband replaced me was at Inter Milan, where in six months he destroyed the best team in Europe at the time.

"If she takes care of her husband's diet, she will not have any time to talk about me."

Archived