Best singing voices?

Hoffa

I think the Purple One hasn't been mentioned. Prince's voice is good, he can go high and low. And if I could screech like him I'd be a happy man.

What about the Godfather James Brown? I know you can't understand what he's saying, but the voice was good.

I've also read that John Lennon was a better singer and had a better voice than Paul.

I've also read that John Lennon was a better singer and had a better voice than Paul.

I think that they both had sufficiently good voices with plenty of character, but I don't think either of them was a great singer. Both tended to let brilliantly written vocal melodies and harmonies carry the weight in their songs, rather than virtuosic singing performances.

Kind of a one trick soul pony, didn't see him mentioned yet, but Joe Cochrane's got some pipes and can own some shit.

eta:  best live vocal performances I've been at would probably be  a toss up between Mike Patton with Rahzel at the Knitting Factory in 2002 or 3, and Chris Robinson at a Black Crowes show at Sycuan Indian Reservation in 2006.  

eta2:  favorite Otis recording

Luther Vandross had a great voice and was a great singer. His live stuff was as good as his recordings.

A House is not a Home https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2JBMNBbKo

I think that they both had sufficiently good voices with plenty of character, but I don't think either of them was a great singer. Both tended to let brilliantly written vocal melodies and harmonies carry the weight in their songs, rather than virtuosic singing performances.

Fair enough.

Has Jim Morrison been mentioned?

Almost 2/3 of the explicit vote is for male vocalists so far. Even more if the implied vote is considered.

This intrigues me.

There are way more male singers to choose from especially the farther back in history you go.
You didnt start seeing a lot of women on the pop charts until the mid 70s

There are way more male singers to choose from especially the farther back in history you go.
You didnt start seeing a lot of women on the pop charts until the mid 70s

Relax, dude. No one's calling you a misogynist.

I was just adding perspective, but thanks for the not a mysogynist card.
Besides, I may have named more women than anybody.

Wow. Someone's a wee bit defensive about NOT being a misogynist. I already WASN'T calling you out, you know?

Wow. Someone's a wee bit defensive about NOT being a misogynist. I already WASN'T calling you out, you know?

Yeh, I read it the first time.
Not calling me a mysogynist. Got it.
(Please don't be a third time, I understand you loud and clear that you aren't calling me a mysogynist)
Clear on that now?

Yeh, I read it the first time.
Not calling me a mysogynist. Got it.
(Please don't be a third time, I understand you loud and clear that you aren't calling me a mysogynist)
Clear on that now?

2/3.

Archived