If Stannis takes WF what is his next move?

Wavey Sauce

Lets assume WF falls to Stannis. Roose and Ramsay dead etc. Where would he march to? It will most likely be in the prime of the harsh snow storm so he cant be that mobile. I guess he could just wait out at WF.

One thing I can see happening is him going to the Storm Lands to get rid of (f)aegon  and get his ancestors castle back

If Stannis takes Winterfell, then the first thing will to be to secure the North to his cause. He wanted Jon to become Lord of Winterfell for this purpose but that's not going to happen any time soon by the look of it. He may think that he's done enough to secure the loyalty of the North anyway, defeating the wildlings, restoring Deepwood Motte to the Glovers, rescuing Ned's little girl, retaking Winterfell, etc. but there are plenty of factors that he doesn't know, like Robb's will, which could go against him.

If the North does bend the knee to Stannis, and I'm not sure it will, but if it does then Stannis will get a major bonus in the shape of the Manderly fleet, which again he does not yet know about. The fleet might be used to retake Dragonstone and Storms End, but I'm not sure he would commit men and resources to either attack at this early stage.

Provided he doesn't end up snowed in at Winterfell, I think he will be keen to march south as soon as possible. He might be better served to march on the Twins, and then try to liberate the Riverlands. The Vale will be a an issue here though, as he won't want to leave his left flank exposed to a still intact military force without knowing their allegiance. The Ironborn on his other flank will be an issue too, depending on how he uses Theon and Asha. He may have to do battle with either or both of the Vale and the Ironborn, more likely the latter, but obviously it would be better for him if he did not. Either way, I think his goal will be Harrenhal, from where he can stage his assault on King's Landing, from both land and sea using the White Harbour fleet he held in reserve. Dragonstone and Storms End can come later, once the throne is secured.

There are some over-riding factors, like Winter and the Others, which may play a big part in his decision making. There are a lot of balls still in the air, including the GNC, Rickon, the unveiling of Sansa in the Vale, Aegon, the alliegance of Dorne and the Reach, and of course Dany, so it's difficult to predict. I think he will take Winterfell, but I'm not so sure he'll ever get south of the Neck again.

As I recall Stannis himself already discussed this. He wants to root the Boltons from the North and have the northern lords swear allegiance to him. The first plan was to attack the Dreadfort (which Roose wanted him to do). Plan B then was to attack Winterfell immediately because the Boltons are there. He was at the last moment persuaded by Jon to go free Deepwood Motte and demonstrate to the North that he can win in the North and attract some northern lords to his cause. His intention after is to garrison abandoned castles of the Night's Watch and face down the Others. When/if the Others are defeated and with the unified strength of the North behind him he will press his claim to the IT.

As I recall Stannis himself already discussed this. He wants to root the Boltons from the North and have the northern lords swear allegiance to him. The first plan was to attack the Dreadfort (which Roose wanted him to do). Plan B then was to attack Winterfell immediately because the Boltons are there. He was at the last moment persuaded by Jon to go free Deepwood Motte and demonstrate to the North that he can win in the North and attract some northern lords to his cause. His intention after is to garrison abandoned castles of the Night's Watch and face down the Others. When/if the Others are defeated and with the unified strength of the North behind him he will press his claim to the IT.

That's what I thought. I thought he was one of the few "players" who understands that the Others are the issue. Once his foothold in the North is secure, he'll fight the Others, then claim the IT. I have a feeling he won't get too far though...

This.

There isn't enough time to secure the IT and southern Westeros before the Others make their assault. 

Stannis will restore the Starks to Winterfell. He will consolidate the North and make preparations at the Wall.

I expect LF to die soon and LS to create chaos in Riverlands. These developments will create power vacuums Stannis will want to fill. So, he will come South to have the allegiance of River Lords and Vale Lords. By this time Dany will come and ask the alegiance of the Vale Lords. It will be a battle between Stannis and Dany. The winner will get the Vale Lords. I do not need to say who will win this battle. Slayer of lies. A blue-eyed king with no shadow.

If Stannis is going to fall, I'd at least have him die doing something heroic, like taking on the Others alongside the wildlings, Night's Watch, and northern soldiers. Let him be remembered in the North as the King who Cared and who fought the Others to the death rather than have him be defeated by Daenerys or Sansa or even fAegon for that matter.

If Stannis is going to fall, I'd at least have him die doing something heroic, like taking on the Others alongside the wildlings, Night's Watch, and northern soldiers. Let him be remembered in the North as the King who Cared and who fought the Others to the death rather than have him be defeated by Daenerys or Sansa or even fAegon for that matter.

I hope GRRM will be that kind...

I hope GRRM will be that kind...

Of course, that said, Stannis is actually in a pretty good place, moreso than any of the ones I just mentioned. Aegon has less than ten thousand followers, and he's surrounded by enemies in the Stormlands. Euron is to the west, Tommen and his followers to the north, and the Martells to the south as a wildcard. Daenerys is very far from her followers, who are currently under seige from their enemies. And Sansa is still anonymous, and under the little finger of... well, that was too easy.

Stannis has the Iron Bank's support, and assuming GRRM didn't introduce that plot thread to just drop it like D&D did, Justin Massey will find Stannis a mercenary army to bring back. This will put him back to his mid-ACOK strength, and they'll either be useful in fighting the Others or pressing his claim down south when he eventually goes back to take what belongs to him.

Though I have grave doubts that he'll emerge the victor in this story.

^ All this assuming he wins the Battle of Ice.

I have no doubt he will win. At most, it might be a phyrric victory. But in time, he should get strong again.

I don't think the HotU vision allows Stannis to perish before Dany comes and in order to be a challenge to Dany, Stannis must get stronger.

If it wasn't book 6, he might actually be in a pretty solid position.

Assuming Stannis wins the battle of ice, Manderly and the North will likely he his (as he is willing to restore the Starks to their rightful seat; he just doesn't know that he has a fake Stark yet).

The Golden Company has taken Storms End, Kevan is dead, so the south is in utter chaos. Dorne is likely about to (finally) enter the war, and they still have the Ironborn reeking havoc in Reach.

If Stannis can consolidate his power, I'm sure he could make gains in the south in the Riverlands... but it makes you wonder what Littlefinger is going to do. He has a real Stark, and an untouched army (The Vale has.... 20,000+ troops that are unmarred by the war?). 

I hope Stannis and Dany face off, because of the HotU, but more so, it would be a more interesting end to the Baratheon dynasty that was established in the rebellion than just Stannis dying in the battle of ice.

The problem with this is that we cannot solely look at Stannis and hold everyone else's positions constant.  Stannis takes WF, the first logical thing to do imo is send a force with Asha and or Theon to Torrhens square to get Dagmer Cleftjaw and his band out of there and start getting Asha some notable followers to try and get her on the Seastone chair in exchange for her fealty. 

Assuming Davos is successful in his mission Stannis will also be appointing Rickon Lord of Winterfell and Liege lord of the north. He will take stock of the norths strength and try to do 2 things at once, gather a force to assault the Twins and send some troops to the wall. 

Problems will start to arise immediately as word reaches of Jon being stabbed, and possibly hearing about the chaos unfolding in the Riverlands with LS and BF and BWB.  It seems very likely there will be  RW version 2.0 in Riverrun and with Frey forces getting slaughtered all over the place I do not think Jason Mallister has been built up as such a badass just to remain a prisoner in his own castle for long.  The Twins may very well be under siege before Stannis can get down there, if he can move south at all between events at the wall and the weather.

If the Dreadfort is well guarded couldnt itd be a long ass time before he takes the castle? Unless he tricks them somehow, maybe by using one of the Karstarks to get in who Stannis gave the deal to that his relatives will live if he betrays Bolton etc. But if its a regular siege I dont know how his army will even last 6 months

Barrowton. Look:

“Renly Baratheon is nothing to me. Nor Stannis neither. Why should they rule over me and mine, from some flowery seat in Highgarden or Dorne? What do they know of the Wall or the wolfswood or the barrows of the First Men?

Stannis already saved the Wall, then marched through the wolfswood, all he's missing is the barrows.

Here's how I think it'll go down, in broad strokes:

Lady Dustin will jump ship and it will result in Roose's death. Unable to return to the Dreadfort for whatever reason, Ramsay will be furious and will do this:

Ramsay seethed. “All she does is spit on me. The day will come when I’ll set her precious wooden town afire. Let her spit on that, see if it puts out the flames.”

He'll attack Barrowton, being the irrational fool that he is. And Stannis being the completist that he is, will march there to stop him.

Of course, that said, Stannis is actually in a pretty good place, moreso than any of the ones I just mentioned. Aegon has less than ten thousand followers, and he's surrounded by enemies in the Stormlands. Euron is to the west, Tommen and his followers to the north, and the Martells to the south as a wildcard. Daenerys is very far from her followers, who are currently under seige from their enemies. And Sansa is still anonymous, and under the little finger of... well, that was too easy.

Stannis has the Iron Bank's support, and assuming GRRM didn't introduce that plot thread to just drop it like D&D did, Justin Massey will find Stannis a mercenary army to bring back. This will put him back to his mid-ACOK strength, and they'll either be useful in fighting the Others or pressing his claim down south when he eventually goes back to take what belongs to him.

Though I have grave doubts that he'll emerge the victor in this story.

I hope he at least will hold the throne for a while, although it is difficult to make that happen in just two books, with the return of Dany and coming of the Others still missing...

The problem with this is that we cannot solely look at Stannis and hold everyone else's positions constant.  Stannis takes WF, the first logical thing to do imo is send a force with Asha and or Theon to Torrhens square to get Dagmer Cleftjaw and his band out of there and start getting Asha some notable followers to try and get her on the Seastone chair in exchange for her fealty. 

Assuming Davos is successful in his mission Stannis will also be appointing Rickon Lord of Winterfell and Liege lord of the north. He will take stock of the norths strength and try to do 2 things at once, gather a force to assault the Twins and send some troops to the wall. 

Problems will start to arise immediately as word reaches of Jon being stabbed, and possibly hearing about the chaos unfolding in the Riverlands with LS and BF and BWB.  It seems very likely there will be  RW version 2.0 in Riverrun and with Frey forces getting slaughtered all over the place I do not think Jason Mallister has been built up as such a badass just to remain a prisoner in his own castle for long.  The Twins may very well be under siege before Stannis can get down there, if he can move south at all between events at the wall and the weather.

Asha plan would never work. She already lost against Euron and fled. The ironborn would never follow her and Stannis is clever enough to understand that. Besides, if Stannis makes such an offer, Asha will be the one to tell this to Stannis.

Riverlands will not stumble into chaos immediately. It will take some time. Similarly, it will take some time for LF to die and the Vale going into chaos. By this time, Stannis will be recovering from his wounds and consolidating his power. By the time Stannis is ready, Riverlands and the Vale will seem ripe for taking for a Stark-friendly king.

^Half of all the captains at the Kignsmoot yelled Asha's name at one point and Aeron is amazed by this.  The tale of the kingsmoot being overturned because the eldest son of the king was away reeving at the time has to have been included for a reason, and until Theon is dead that reason seems to be overturning the Kingsmoot that elected Euron.  I'm also surprised that you feel this way because I thought I remembered you thinking that Sam will kill Euron with an arrow to the Eye.  If Euron dies, or is even defeated at Oldtown, which is more of what I think, people will start to turn on him and another kingsmoot can be called.

Archived