Sympathy for the Ned

A Faceless Poster

I always liked Ned and was surprised by all the hate for him when I came on this board. Dude was a good man. Hindsight and deus ex events lead to his downfall. Not sure why everyone thinks he's an idiot. For tracking down the events that lead to Arryn dying and figuring out Robert's kids weren't his? Pretty smart to me.

Also Robert had to die just at the right time, Reny and Stannis both had to abandon Kings Landing, Little Finger had to betray Ned and Cersei had to pull out all the stops to remain in power. Basically George just wanted to kill the main hero fo the books to shock his audience. NOw decades later people have used hindsight and over anaylization to rip him apart.

I think its pretty obvious George wants people to like Ned. He shows it by how people write about the guy and what many are doing to try to help his kids. Otherwise his bannerman wouldn't be marching to their deaths to save his little girl.

I feel tempted to go further and say that Eddard wasn't necessarily bad as Hand of the King. He was a hard worker, had experience as a Warden of the North (different jobs but similar principles), trimmed Crown's expenses, protected the realm and would be good at mediation.

The situation Robert threw him into was very delicate and unusual, if you ask me. In more peaceful times and with better people around, he would be above average as a Hand, for sure.

Great post by the OP, I agree with everything. Ned gets way too much criticism. I really admire the fact that he warned Cersei to protect her kids. How was he to know that Robert would be killed by a boar? Although I must admit that he should have waited until Sansa and Arya were out of the city. The OP is also right about Ned trusting Littlefinger - everybody trusts Littlefinger, not just Ned.

As for Ned not being a good politican, personally I find that one of his best qualities - I hate politicians. He was out of his depth and comfort zone in King's Landing in an environment he didn't understand. He was a great Lord of Winterfell, though. The only criticism I have of Ned is that he's too naive for his age and all that he's been through. After his father and brother were brutally murdered by the king, after his sister was abducted and died at 16, and after he saw the aftermath of the Sack of King's Landing, you would think he would know what some people are truly capable of but he keeps acting like people are ultimately going to do the right thing.

Ned was just another victim of the Cool Kids Club's monthly hate train parade. He was well-liked and respected, and it's no coincident that nearly all of his enemies are scumbags. Can't blame a Northern lord for not understanding the toxic politics of the South. 

Being naïve when it comes to politics is grounds for hatred to some. As if Ned being great at politics on top of his other beneficial qualities wouldn't have resulted in the same amount of babyrage from some people, if not more. No one likes a Mary Sue.

Ned was just another victim of the Cool Kids Club's monthly hate train parade. He was well-liked and respected, and it's no coincident that nearly all of his enemies are scumbags. Can't blame a Northern lord for not understanding the toxic politics of the South. 

Being naïve when it comes to politics is grounds for hatred to some. As if Ned being great at politics on top of his other beneficial qualities wouldn't have resulted in the same amount of babyrage from some people, if not more. No one likes a Mary Sue.

I agree with everything, but the last sentence. Some people don't mind Mary Sues at all.

I've never had any problem ned, he was a good dude, which was his downfall at the end of the day.If I have any criticisms is that he should've trusted his instincts more, but then again if you have sansa and cat in your corner you will lose anyway.

Eddard is Leto Atreides of ASoIaF. He didn't want to be 'honored' and was fully aware of his weaknesses and present dangers. But he did what he was supposed to do, the best way he could.

Of course I'd love him to team up with Renly or be less forthcoming to Cersei, but it wasn't his way. I respect that.

That's the crux of it. If he does those things then he's no longer Ned. The worst thing was Ned going out of character and making the false confession in an attempt to protect his family. His final act was un-Ned-like and that's tragic.

One of the most misunderstood characters in ASOIAF by fans. Not liked by the cool kids in ASOIAF fandom. A victim of Martins Deus ex machina ambition in the series. King Robert killed by a boar in the correct moment.....

True. And tiresome.

I have loads of sympathy for Ned, and in the series he is like the Norths moral compass.

However he sucked at the "Game of Thrones," or at least the brand that is played at court in Kings Landing.

Doran is smart to stay where he is. That is a good example of a moral GoT player. In Kings Landing you have very little wiggle room and probably have to compromise your morality to stay alive.

Imagine how things would have turned out if Ned had learned all he did from Winterfell.

I have loads of sympathy for Ned, and in the series he is like the Norths moral compass.

However he sucked at the "Game of Thrones," or at least the brand that is played at court in Kings Landing.

Doran is smart to stay where he is. That is a good example of a moral GoT player. In Kings Landing you have very little wiggle room and probably have to compromise your morality to stay alive.

Imagine how things would have turned out if Ned had learned all he did from Winterfell.

So Doran who stays in his own kingdom surrounded by his own power base is your comparison to Eddard in King's Landing.

I have great sympathy for the Ned indeed. Great sympathy.

However, his own sense of honor/ integrity did him in, even without the benefit of hindsight.

I wonder if it was somewhat ingrained sexism, that made him confront Cersei, thinking that because she was a woman, she wouldn't be cunning/threatening?

Why did he still trust shifty Littlefinger to give him the gold cloaks, after LF discussed his distaste at the thought of enthroning Stannis?

Clearly the smartest choice at the time would be to side with Renly, take his advice and secure Joff,Myrcella and Tommen. No it's not honorable but the smartest way to keep you and your own alive in a dangerous, quickly evolving timeframe.

I have a lot of sympathy for Ned.

First I think he did want to do a great job for Westeros as Hand, I don't think he wanted to be hand for power of greed he actually wanted to do better for the country and he didn't get that chance.

And I blame Ned for a lot but I can never blame him for the mess in Kings Landings when he arrived all things was basically out of his control. Robert did give the Lannisters a lot of influence and Ned was overrun a lot of time by the dumbass. Plus everyone in KL has been playing the game longer and better than Ned.

I do appreciate that Ned is the only one who ever thought of Myrcella, Tommen, and Joffery and honestly tried to save them. I don't care about Cersei's kids but Ned's the only one whose ever really cared about those kids to even protect them against Robert and that's sad.

I wish Ned had stayed in Winterfell he and the Starks and Westeros would have been better off.

First I think he did want to do a great job for Westeros as Hand, I don't think he wanted to be hand for power of greed he actually wanted to do better for the country and he didn't get that chance.

And I blame Ned for a lot but I can never blame him for the mess in Kings Landings when he arrived all things was basically out of his control. Robert did give the Lannisters a lot of influence and Ned was overrun a lot of time by the dumbass. Plus everyone in KL has been playing the game longer and better than Ned.

I do appreciate that Ned is the only one who ever thought of Myrcella, Tommen, and Joffery and honestly tried to save them. I don't care about Cersei's kids but Ned's the only one whose ever really cared about those kids to even protect them against Robert and that's sad.

I wish Ned had stayed in Winterfell he and the Starks and Westeros would have been better off.

Not really as the War was coming with Eddard there or not Stannis was preparing and Renly was scheming.  The War was coming the moment Jaimie and Cersei had their children.

I agree. Robert has a lot to answer for IMO, for basically selling himself body and soul to Tywin Lannister.

Ned could do everything perfectly as Hand, and I doubt he could do much good. The culture is just too entrenched in corruption for even someone like Ned to make much of a difference.

It really speaks to the power of his character, that 19 years after his death, he is still deeply loved, admired, and discussed

Not really as the War was coming with Eddard there or not Stannis was preparing and Renly was scheming.  The War was coming the moment Jaimie and Cersei had their children.

I don't get what you're replying to, are you talking about me saying that Westeros would have been better off if Ned and the Starks stayed in Winterfell?

Cause Westeros would actually have an army standing between it and the Others. Ned being in Winterfell would have been really good for the country because most likely the North would have rallied to the NW and been at least able to fight the Others.

So you agree to some extent with me. ;)
I think that Eddard situation is very similar to Leto's. Common themes:
1) They are ordered to relocate to a distant place to serve monarchs (Eddard to KL as Hand, Leto taking over Arrakis fief)
2) They are reluctant because these missions pose a great danger to their houses
3) They are right in their suspicions (Eddard never sees Winterfell again, and Leto leaves Caladan for good too)
4) So why do they this? Because it's their duty
5) Their rival houses (Lannister & Harkonnen) prepare coup d'etat upon their arrival
6) They are betrayed by dark haired, average in built but awesome in mental department guys (Littlefinger & Wellington Yueh) and one could argue they do it because of love to a woman
7) They have similar personalities and sets of traits.

Both are succeeded by strong mother & talented, 15-year old son duos (Catelyn-Robb, Jessica-Paul).
We can also observe some similarities between Jon and Bran development beyond the Wall and Paul's growth among the deserts... growing with tribes able to cope with harsh conditions (Wildlings and Fremens)... learning their impressive skills (climbing the Wall and riding Shai Hulud)... having their first love in caves with wild girls...
and eventually become messianic figures with God-like abilities!

I wonder if Bran is going to be a Tree God for 3500 years.

Archived