High Sparrow Appreciation Thread

I wonder what his opinions are of the Northern Gods and The Drowned God?

Surly he would see it as his duty to educate them and get rid of their Gods whether they want the Seven or not?

That's usually how Religious fanatics work

Probably thought the Drowned God was a demon.

He probably didn't care for the Old Gods, but seemed to think highly of Ned Stark, telling Cersei about the shameful execution near Baelor's Sept. Perhaps he thought of him as the "Righteous Heathen" found in Dante's divine comedy

I am not a fan of religious nutters (or even religion), but the High Sparrow does have his good points. If I was a commoner, I would rather put up with the HS running the show than the aristos, even though religious trials are a horrible thing. He at least gives half a shit about us. The high lords have no problem with burning all the farms and letting all the smallfolk die for a tactical advantage. 

Considering he allows women to arm themselves and join the Sparrows, and gave some of them positions among his Most Devout, I'd have to say that there is at least a shred of progressiveness in him, at least when gender is concerned.

He is a populist, and in a series where no one gives a fart about the well-being of the smallfolk, I can admire that. He seems to be driven by morality rather than ambition as well, another admirable (yet scary) trait.

I'd have to say that I rather like the High Sparrow.

In the kingdom where nobles play there games and thousands of smallfolk die for their whims and ambitions its nice to see someone stand up to them.

I wonder what his opinions are of the Northern Gods and The Drowned God?

Surly he would see it as his duty to educate them and get rid of their Gods whether they want the Seven or not?

That's usually how Religious fanatics work

Well its not like the Faith Militant declared war on the North or the Iron Islands in the past. I could have missed it in the world book. I think they would be more worried about great red Rahloo and his penance for burning.

Also anyone else find it strange that that both the BWB and the Sparrow movement both came out of the Riverlands. Well other than the fact than all the rape and pillage caused by the Wof7K.

It is a lie about Robb. He cared about smallfolk. Ruse Bolton didn't.

And HS... This guy says that he cares about smallfolk, protects them from nobleman and their games, yet, the actual thing he is doing, is using them as a meat shield to get advantage in GoT.

The sparrows are volunteers. It is an honor to die protecting all the faithful, including the High Sparrow, may the Warrior shield him. The 7 true Gods do not demand blood sacrifice and condone prima nocte like the disgusting old "gods". They don't condone the drowning and bondage the disgusting drowned "god" does. They don't condone the genocide the worst of the worst- dothraki horse scum "god" permits.

If you really want to rail your sister so much you can still go do it, just go to the other side of the wall where you belong. That, or get ready for a beat down courtesy of Lancel the Mancel, may the father quit telling him how to live his life.

I like that he sold off all the jewels of the Faith, and is trying to return it to its ascetic roots. He came into power through the threat of mob violence, and he prayed to know which claimant to the IT to support only to sell his blessing for the promise of military power. He also suffers from a severe case of misogyny. He is also a self-flagellate, not a good sign, given the only other self-flagellate we have seen is Septon Utt after killing his latest boy. He is a power hungry zealot. 

Jesus is historical figure too. However in history it is only said that he existed, had followers and died.

Not to get off on a tangent, but there is no historical record of Jesus actually existing. Two chroniclers living at the time of his supposed mission mention Christ but that's a rather generic term for that time period that we have come to associate solely with the Jesus figure. Josephus, a jewish historian living at the time, supposedly mentions Jesus specifically by name but those passages have long ago been proven to be later additions made long after his death.

Oh and there is a long tradition of gods who have identical stories to Jesus going back to 3000 bc. 

I've always found the High Sparrow a fascinating individual.

In a city of powerful liars, He is the only powerful person who bluntly tells the truth as he sees it all the time, without fear of offending anyone.

In a city where the partisan allegiances of the powerful are all that matters, He is the only powerful person who is truly neutral.

In a city where the powerful view themselves accountable to no one and nothing save for their basest of impulses, He is the only powerful person who voluntarily holds Himself to a higher authority.

I feel like the High Sparrow was a late addition on Martin's part.  Like, 'what I'm missing.....oh, shit, the influence of the church!'  In that respect, he's rather a caricature of the self-flagellating overzealous hypocrite, and also serves as a lesson in the dangers of mob mentality.  Therefore, no, I don't really appreciate him.

Archived