Biggest criticism of the series ?

Lord Neddard Stark

That the world building leaves us wanting so much more about these other mysterious people and places we will probably never hear much about.  I really can't find any stand out negatives, I love the detail !   :)

The sex scenes are probably a fair point, perhaps not his speciality.  ^_^

Sex scenes.  Just omit it if you can't write it well. (Fat pink mast, Myrish swamp, etc.).

Regardless of one views on GRRM's sex scenes in general, I think the "fat pink mast" line is larley misunderstood. This is suppose to reflect Sam's pov, and I think GRRM perfectly captures the essence of what the character Sam might be thinking in this scenario.

Regardless of one views on GRRM's sex scenes in general, I think the "fat pink mast" line is larley misunderstood. This is suppose to reflect Sam's pov, and I think GRRM perfectly captures the essence of what the character Sam might be thinking in this scenario.

I don't know if you are joking but I feel the same about the much maligned "myrish swamp".  I don't have any thoughts on "fat pink mast".

I don't know if you are joking but I feel the same about the much maligned "myrish swamp".  I don't have any thoughts on "fat pink mast".

I don't remember the "Myrish swap" seen to well, but if I recall correctly it was Cersei describing Taena, so If it was Cersei's pov I think it would fit her character too.

I actually really like the lengthy food descriptions and the writing style, and even the ridiculous sex scenes. I actually totally missed the fat pink mast on my first read.

I don't like the way George divided FFC and DWD. If you're going to divide it, at least put as much as possible into feast so you don't have to cut things from the next book as well. 

imo the povs in affc should've been:

- Cersei

- Jaime

- Brienne (leave out the parts where she meanders around with Nimble Dick)

- Sansa

- Davos

- Theon

- Sam the Slayer

- Asha

- Bran

- Arianne as the only Dorne-pov

the povs in dwd should've been:

- whatever's left from the ffc-guys

- Jon (including that ridiculous chapter that we already saw from Sam's pov)

- Mel

- Arya

- Victarion

- Jon C

- Tyrion

- Barry

- Dany

I hope I haven't missed anyone. I omitted Quentyn on purpose because he's useless. All the pro-/epilogues remain the same.

That way the climactic battles would've fit into Dance.

I have the feeling that GRRM fridged both Benjen and Howland Reed because they knew too much or would get in the way of plot. 

I believe GRRM has actually said so in an interview (in reference to Howland Reed).  What Benjen knows that would keep him out of the story...who knows.  But something tells me his knows some secrets to (like why did he join the NW in the first place??)

Too many sex scenes I mean I know some are necessary but the series seems to be aiming for sensationalism

I agree.  Some of them serve a purpose that moves the plot along, sure.  But some of them are just pointless....like the whole Swamp scene and Taena.  That scene served no purpose in the story, nor did it move any of the plot along.

Mmm I disagree about the scene with Taena because it shows how Cersei is obsessed with having the control and all her "I wish I was born with penis" complex...it was nothing about sexual attraction for her, it was all about power and prove herself, if you get my point. Even if distasteful, I found it quite interesting. 

What I did find useless and disturbing was Tyron's slaves/whores fucking in ADWD, just as some details of his sex with Shae in the previous books...

The worst thing about the Series? Not knowing if it will ever be finished...I'm not starting anymore unfinished series. Spoilers be damned, I'll risk knowing what happens in exchange for the knowledge that something happens!

There are novels full of action and plot and things happening all the time, but there is actually very little conflict in those novels: the hero will do the right thing, the bad guy will do the bad thing and then plot plot plot....

Some people like that kind of books, some people only like that kind of books. Most of the best-selling authors write that kind of books, GRRM writes about "the human heart in conflict"!

GRRM has said that every POV character has a story: "a beginning, a middle and an end" so if you think that Brienne's chapters in AFfC "feels like filler" I would say you probably are not reading them right. You are looking for the action, the plot! and all you get is the heart in conflict!

I'm just gonna stop you right there... I'm not looking for action and plot, I am looking for something to happen though. The only inner conflict which happens in Briennes story is her coming to terms with killing a man, other than that her going on a wild goose chase through the riverlands was all just so she would bump into Stoneheart. 

One of the worst decisions in the series. How is 300 people (a third of the Watch) searching through hundreds of miles of wilderness where they could easily be attacked by the gathering Wildling army or near invincible ice demons a good idea when they have a perfectly good 800 foot ice wall to hide behind?

He had smaller parties going out and not bringing back either information or themselves.

An undefended wall can be defeated.

When you've got maybe a tenth of the manpower you really need, you need to know where the wall might be attacked to know where to direct your defenses, hence the need for information.

There are novels full of action and plot and things happening all the time, but there is actually very little conflict in those novels: the hero will do the right thing, the bad guy will do the bad thing and then plot plot plot....

Some people like that kind of books, some people only like that kind of books. Most of the best-selling authors write that kind of books, GRRM writes about "the human heart in conflict"!

GRRM has said that every POV character has a story: "a beginning, a middle and an end" so if you think that Brienne's chapters in AFfC "feels like filler" I would say you probably are not reading them right. You are looking for the action, the plot! and all you get is the heart in conflict!

I was reading reviews of GRRM first novel, Dying of the Light, and those who gave it 1 star were complaining of similar things you mention here: nothing happens, ambiguous ending, slow plot, etc etc. Now that whole novel is about a heart in conflict, so if you don't like that kind of novels you'll hate it and struggle to finish it (like those 1-star reviewers) and think the end is ambiguous when in truth the ending is very clear-cut if you consider the hero's inner journey although as a plot the novel ends just as a death-or-life duel starts so for those reading only the plot will go insane at the ending!

The real filler is not the parts where nothing happens, like Brienne's journey through the Crownlands, it is actually all the big battles and plot that happens in-between.

In my personal opinion (and my own personal taste) the mix between plot and internal conflict that develops the character is just about right in ASoIaF, some chapters have more of one part than the other but as a whole the portions are well divvied.

imo Robb is the most interesting Stark, and I disagree with the notion he has no inner conflict. And the author himself has voiced regret at not giving Robb his own POV. 

imo the povs in affc should've been:

- Cersei

- Jaime

- Brienne (leave out the parts where she meanders around with Nimble Dick)

- Sansa

- Davos

- Theon

- Sam the Slayer

- Asha

- Bran

- Arianne as the only Dorne-pov

Agreed, but I think we need Jon and Theon chapters in the same book, to cover all northern plots one after another. Separtaing them would be infuriating.

Arianne should be the only POV in Dorne, and Asha should incorporate more important stuff from Aeron chapter(s).

Yeah, I guess you could move Jon and Mel in there too, but you should probably move his last couple of chapters to DWD because otherwise he gets killed off, and then he wouldn't appear anymore in DWD and you would have to wait for book 6 to find out what happened after that, and that would be torture.

Archived