GRRM on Gendry and Arya (Allegedly)

Joan Jett

Nah. Even if the question was "Will Gendy and Arya get together romantically?"  It doesn't matter because he's NOT going to answer that.  And you'll note that he didn't say "Yes" or "No.'  He said their futures are on different paths, which right now, obviously they are and clearly will be for the next book considering where we left off.  But then.... he went on to say "whether they'll meet up again, keep reading."   Which means that whatever happens after they potentially meet up again... well, anything goes!  So his response was basically a big ole: I'm not telling!! Heheheheheheheh!  Typical George.   He didn't really give anything away other than the logical 'Arya and Gendry's stories wouldn't be intersecting any time soon' ... which, again, pretty darn logical considering where he is and where she is in the tale right now.

No, not on different paths. He outrightly said that they have separate futures. But yeah, they might meet up again.

Nah. Even if the question was "Will Gendy and Arya get together romantically?"  It doesn't matter because he's NOT going to answer that.  And you'll note that he didn't say "Yes" or "No.'  He said their futures are on different paths, which right now, obviously they are and clearly will be for the next book considering where we left off.  But then.... he went on to say "whether they'll meet up again, keep reading."   Which means that whatever happens after they potentially meet up again... well, anything goes!  So his response was basically a big ole: I'm not telling!! Heheheheheheheh!  Typical George.   He didn't really give anything away other than the logical 'Arya and Gendry's stories wouldn't be intersecting any time soon' ... which, again, pretty darn logical considering where he is and where she is in the tale right now.

I'm not so sure about that. Sure, usually George answer questions like that ambiguously, but he does slip up sometimes. Like in a recent interview he openly revealed that Nymeria's pack may have an important role in TWOW.
When he said they have separate destinies I applied that to their ultimate endgame destinies while you think it only applies to the events of the next book. I don't think "anything goes" for their next meeting at all, George's first comment contradicts that. You're a bit too hopeful.

Alright but you should consider that the author and her friend knew the real nature of the question that George was asked, and their reactions to the answer are key in determining the correct interpretation of the quote (since one of them was there). Also I sent the author an ask about it on tumblr, so we should get some clarity soon.

That's great, because if we knew exactly what the real question was, we could discuss it in a better way.

I also think that their reactions are important, but not as much too. People can have different reactions, even shippers. I ship them too (though I am realistic and think they have little chances), but I won't take anything for granted if it is not clear enough, because it still is ambiguous. 

Nah. Even if the question was "Will Gendy and Arya get together romantically?"  It doesn't matter because he's NOT going to answer that.  And you'll note that he didn't say "Yes" or "No.'  He said their futures are on different paths, which right now, obviously they are and clearly will be for the next book considering where we left off.  But then.... he went on to say "whether they'll meet up again, keep reading."   Which means that whatever happens after they potentially meet up again... well, anything goes!  So his response was basically a big ole: I'm not telling!! Heheheheheheheh!  Typical George.  But then he actually added in a jolt of hope with that "but whether they'll meet up again, you'll just have to keep reading" meaning that it's possible they'll meet again thus leaving the door open.  So huzzah! Hope! 

Still, he didn't really give anything away other than the logical 'Arya and Gendry's stories wouldn't be intersecting any time soon' ... which, again, pretty darn logical considering where he is and where she is in the tale right now.

The nature of the question is important. What I find strange is that the author would like to be so direct in a story he hasn't finished writing yet, knowing that many people would like to discover the fate of all the characters only reading.... 

I agree with you that if the question was "will they end together?" it remains ambiguous. However, if it was something like: "I have two questions: 1. Will they end together? And 2. Will they meet again? Then, there's almost no ambiguity at all.

No, not on different paths. He outrightly said that they have separate futures. But yeah, they might meet up again.

You're right, he said futures.  Which actually is better from where I'm coming from.   A future continues.  Arya's future after AGOT was ACOK.  And her future after ACOK was ASOS.  And her future after ASOS was a AFFC... etc.  So yes, they have separate futures clearly for TWOW.  Obviously based on where they are in the books right now their futures are separate.  However, with his "whether they'll ever meet up again, you'll just have to keep reading" he has opened the possibility that in future books their futures will once more not be separate.

I'm not so sure about that. Sure, usually George answer questions like that ambiguously, but he does slip up sometimes. Like in a recent interview he openly revealed that Nymeria's pack may have an important role in TWOW.
When he said they have separate destinies I applied that to their ultimate endgame destinies while you think it only applies to the events of the next book. I don't think "anything goes" for their next meeting at all, George's first comment contradicts that. You're a bit too hopeful.

I'm not too hopeful; I'm realistic.  You said it yourself: usually George answer questions like that ambiguously, but he does slip up sometimes.  So the point remains; GRRM is usually ambiguous.  Just because on rare occasions he gives something away doesn't change the fact that generally he is ambiguous.  As he was here.  I'm not saying that George said OMG! Gendry and Arya are a sure thing!  I'm just saying to take gloom and doom from his statement, or to take a definitive 'George clearly put the kibosh on a romantic future for Gendry/Arya with this statement' is something that I don't see at all.  Because it was ambiguous.   All he said is that they have separate futures.... which obviously they do right now.   He then immediately followed it up with the idea that they could meet again, so keep reading which opened the door to the possibility of a future down the road that is not separate.

Also, he didn't say "destinies."  He said "futures."  And I'll say to you what I said to the poster above: A future continues.  Arya's future after AGOT was ACOK.  And her future after ACOK was ASOS.  And her future after ASOS was a AFFC... etc.  So yes, they have separate futures clearly for TWOW.  Obviously based on where they are in the books right now their futures are separate.  However, with his "whether they'll ever meet up again, you'll just have to keep reading" he has opened the possibility that in future books their futures will once more not be separate.

I agree with you that if the question was "will they end together?" it remains ambiguous. However, if it was something like: "I have two questions: 1. Will they end together? And 2. Will they meet again? Then, there's almost no ambiguity at all.

See my response above about the whole thing with regards to "separate futures" and how the second part of the answer makes it ambiguous regardless of any other answer.   Short version -- futures continue.   Their futures are obviously separate in TWOW based on where they are now in the story; it can change in TDOS.    He's just not going to give an endgame answer about any characters.  I just don't see him doing that.

See my response above about the whole thing with regards to "separate futures" and how the second part of the answer makes it ambiguous regardless of any other answer.   Short version -- futures continue.   Their futures are obviously separate in TWOW based on where they are now in the story; it can change in TDOS.    He's just not going to give an endgame answer about any characters.  I just don't see him doing that.

Yeah, I see your point. I'm with you that it would be really strange to deliberately reveal what is coming up in the story.

And yes, you have reasoned really well the sentence about "separate futures", which is not "separate destinies" at all. 

However, if the questions are separated (as I pointed out) I am inclined to think that it is a short version of "No, I'm sorry". But I also said: "Then, there's almost no ambiguity at all". Almost doesn't mean nothing. I think that, if that was the case, we would be able to discuss it. And you've made a good point.

Nevertheless, without the exact "question and answer" I think that today they have the same chances than yesterday....:O

I'm not sure why your being so defensive after posting your thoughts on a public forum but ok.

I feel like that's a very defeatist attitude to have. I don't want to put words in your mouth but it seems like your implying that if someone is traumatized at a young age, then they should just give up on their life.

In fairness, there aren't a lot of good therapists and counselors in Westeros or Essos to help people who have been through traumas.

The fanfic author has responded on her tumblr, but not much was elaborated on. The words are left for anyone to interpret.
I'm about 80% sure that there won't be a romance between them.

How come no one is pointing out that there is no Gendry in the books? It's Edric Storm

Lmao Gendry is in the books the difference is Melisandra doesn't go and take Gendry from the brotherhood he stays and gets knighted becoming there blacksmith

Instead Stannis and Melisandre take Edric and from there the story line in the show is close to the same that is the part where the character splits

Robb, Jon and Ned had a lot of integrity and humanity. They're dead because of it. Why should Arya share their fate?

Tywin, Aerys and Balon have little integrity nor humanity and they are also dead. There is no one formula for what makes people survives.

That's kinda the question and the whole theme of ASOIAF. The heart at conflict. What is better? Being Tywin Lannister who wouldn't mind killing and raping as long as he's on the top or keep yourself whole despite you might lose?

And Sam, Sansa, Brienne, and Podrick have lots of integrity and humanity and have gotten as far as they have in large part because of it.

Although Brienne and Pod are in danger, it is not because they have these traits, but because their adversaries think that they don't.  I'll take a character with integrity and humanity over one without any day.  I hope Arya doesn't lose hers.

There's an interesting discussion going on about the consequences of the fArya marriage.  Someone mentioned that Arya could show up and claim it was a marriage by proxy done with her knowledge and consent because she was out of the country, and claim everything the Bolton's have.  She'd need to pull an Elaena Targaryen though and have a baby to pass off as a Bolton.

I think meeting up with Gendry could provide exactly the opportunity she needs, but still give them separate futures.  Sad, but at least they'd have their memories. *cue violins*

Are you aware of GRRM's (very strong) opinion on fan fiction ?

Ah. I forgot about that, that may be one of the reasons why. I personally feel like George has set up something of a Red Herring with "Gendrya" in the books. We'll see what happens though.

Archived