GRRM on Gendry and Arya (Allegedly)

Joan Jett

He could always marry Sansa. He fits her ideal of what a knight should be.

I second this one.  I think some people get swayed a bit by the chemistry (and perhaps real life friendship) between Williams and Dempsie on the show.  Gendry and Arya just don't seem like each other's "types" past close friendship.  Sansa seems more like the girly-girl maiden who would impress Gendry and make him a better, more traditional wife.  I just don't see Arya being happy as the doting wife of an ex-blacksmith, and I don't see Gendry wanting to be married to a woman who digs her assassin life.

I can't see Arya having a happy ending with Gendry or anyone else. She's too mentally damaged, if she does have a romance at the end I'm going to burn my books. Cause it's just too unrealistic.
Arya's story is a revenge tragedy, not a romance!!!

I'm confused. You say this like having a romance means that she will have a happy ending. If there is a big romance in the series, I'm 1000% sure it will be tragic and sad.

A happy ending would be a unrealistic, especially for Arya; I agree with that.

It seems that the answer covers "will they end together" and the answer is No.

And "meet again": answer, Possibly (but the way it is said it seems that the odds are in favour, because if he was too direct in the first part, he could have been also direct in the second part).

Despite of the fact that the source is possibly reliable, we don't know the exact question, and it may change a lot the meaning of the answer, and it was his/her friend's question (not first source), and the "yesterday" part is a bit strange (but of course maybe he/she wrote that the day after the book signing)...

I like using percentages, and I always thought that Arya's chances of finding romance are about 30% (with Gendry as the most likely option, and Jon the second). I  haven't changed my mind after this.

I can see this.

Part of the bittersweet ending part might be that Arya knows she wants to be with Gendry but cant because of what she has become.

I personally would like to see Arya Baratheon, Master of Whispers to the King and Queen but that is probably a little too Disney.

I'm confused. You say this like having a romance means that she will have a happy ending. If there is a big romance in the series, I'm 1000% sure it will be tragic and sad.

Arya doesn't need more of that. Arya needs peace. More torture just makes me think of George shoving pins in his little Stark dolls, and laughing manically.

Arya doesn't need more of that. Arya needs peace. More torture just makes me think of George shoving pins in his little Stark dolls, and laughing manically.

True. But it's wishful thinking to believe that anything other than a tragedy is Arya's fate at this point. Romance or not.

True. But it's wishful thinking to believe that anything other than a tragedy is Arya's fate at this point. Romance or not.

I tend to think she will die, and live on in Nymeria. It's incredibly sad though, even if it is probably the happiest place for her to be.

A happy ending would be unrealistic, especially for Arya; I can agree with that.

If there is a big romance in the series, it won't be Arya and Gendry (from the way I read it he just views her as a little sister).
I just can't see Arya having any happy bit to her story. Ending, middle or whatever, her story for me is a tragedy [spoiler]as the mercy chapter proved for me. She's got some serious issues going on[/spoiler]

I tend to think she will die, and live on in Nymeria. It's incredibly sad though, even if it is probably the happiest place for her to be.

I don't particularly like that theory, but I suppose it's possible. How do you think she will die?

I don't particularly like that theory, but I suppose it's possible. How do you think she will die?

Well... I try not to speculate about events so far in the future, not with so many balls in the air. If she does, I know we can trust George to do it very well.

If she's going down the vengeful assassin route, I don't see her having a happy ending, much less time for a romance subplot. And if she does have a "happy" ending, I imagine it being the bittersweet kind of ending.

Her dying and living on through Nymeria was something I didn't consider, but I rather like that idea now.

I can see this.
Part of the bittersweet ending part might be that Arya knows she wants to be with Gendry but cant because of what she has become.

I personally would like to see Arya Baratheon, Master of Whispers to the King and Queen but that is probably a little too Disney.

Yes, that would be bittersweet, too.
I haven't mentioned that even if she finds love, It doesn't mean it will end well.....I think the chances of a relative romantic and also happy ending are only 15% ......but go figure!.....they still exist in my mind because it would be very unexpected

If there is a big romance in the series, it won't be Arya and Gendry (from the way I read it he just views her as a little sister).
I just can't see Arya having any happy bit to her story. Ending, middle or whatever, her story for me is a tragedy [spoiler]as the mercy chapter proved for me. She's got some serious issues going on[/spoiler]

well I can see some light at the end of the tunnel on her story. Maybe not romantically, but I can see that she still is Arya Stark and will learn from her experiences....

I watched on youtube a video about this theory....I found that very intriguing...Well, in fact, I had already thought of that, but when watching it I Thought it would be more plausible. I really don't want it to happen, but if there is a tragic-poetic ending, apart from her dying, I can't imagine anything "better" than that. They argueed that she would get what she has already wanted, freedom and the love a wolf family, but I can't picture herself as not as a human, especially if she is the only Stark to end that way.

Fighting with needle during the battle of dawn :dunno: (since she'll be found dead with a needle locked between her frozen fingers :crying:). I want a heroic death for Arya

I actually like that quote though. It's says she will be sowing all winter and this coming winter is supposed to last a generation.
And on the whole Nymeria thing...that could happen at any time. I don't know why no one thinks that she could grow old, die, and then become Nymeria. Direwolves live a long time.

For crying out loud, people, the girl is 11 years old.  There's plenty of time for her to grow up, change, heal, etc.  She does not HAVE to be doomed to misery.  Will she get a fairytale ending?  Of course not!  This is GRRM.  But that doesn't mean she can't have some small amount of happiness, assuming she lives--which of course is a coin flip.

Her chances of any romance at this point are nonexistent, because at this point she has no interest in that kind of thing.  But she doesn't seem to have gone through puberty either.  She may be changing her mind about a lot of things in the final books.

I can't see Arya having a happy ending with Gendry or anyone else. She's too mentally damaged, if she does have a romance at the end I'm going to burn my books. Cause it's just too unrealistic.

Yeah, cause mentally damaged people can't possibly recover or have relationships.  :rolleyes:

It's not up to you, or me, or anybody else on this forum to decide what Arya's story is or is not.  That's GRRM's call and he's playing her more as a vigilante dispenser of justice than someone fully bent on revenge.  And as I pointed out above, she's 11 years old.  Very few people remain stuck the way they were at age 11.

I feel like a lot of people understate Arya's love for her family and friends. That's how her death prayer was made in the first place, she wanted badly to avenge her loved ones. Also she is a she-wolf. Wolves are very social creatures who protect their packs, their families.
I believe with the help of family and friends, Arya could heal from her experiences. Perhaps she may even create her own "little pack" when she is older.
But I still stand by my statement about tragedy. I think that her endgame will be more bitter than sweet.

Lol, what? There's more to her story than just 'revenge tragedy'. 

Archived