Tywin, Stannis, Roose, and Randyl

Winter Blues

I really don't see the point in arguing Stannis vs Randyll who is the worst, when you got Roose and Tywin on the list.  Roose and Tywin are some of the worst people in the books  

That is the point people are discussing.

Everyone takes it for granted that they belong on this list and are most likely the worst two out of the four. No one is arguing that Stannis and Randyl are the worst.

Is he really?

He's of the most distant fathers in the series, and has never interacted with his daughter in the four books he's been in. I'd hardly call that being a good father. True, he's not as terrible as Randyll is towards Sam, or as Tywin is towards Tyrion, but being better than the worst doesn't make you good.

He did list her above Robert and the Realm. He also was ready to attack when Renly(he knew menting Stannis' daughter would rilied him up)  mention that rumor that Shireen' s real dad is Patchface.Stannis also have her learn with  othe kids. Stannis also keep Patchface around to keep her company(even with all that time hanging out with PF, she is more sane than her mom).Stannis' campaign to the north did allow her to meet and get along with a giant and maybe even a direwolf(I doubt the kid was scare of Ghost).  Stannis was better father to her than Robert was to the Joffrey,Tommen,and Myrcella.

He did list her above Robert and the Realm. He also was ready to attack when Renly(he knew menting Stannis' daughter would rilied him up)  mention that rumor that Shireen' s real dad is Patchface.Stannis also have her learn with  othe kids.

Exactly. Nobody can fault him for not spending too much time with her, he has to plan a war and medieval lords didn't spent too much time with their kids anyway before they reached a certain age. 

He did list her above Robert and the Realm.

I think that listing her in an enumeration above Robert or the Realm is simply coincidental.

He also was ready to attack when Renly(he knew menting Stannis' daughter would rilied him up)  mention that rumor that Shireen' s real dad is Patchface.

False, he tries to attack Renly because he is mad that he was called a cuckold, which is why he says: "You dare insult me to my face?" and not "You dare insult my daughter to my face?".

Stannis also keep Patchface around to keep her company(even with all that time hanging out with PF, she is more sane than her mom).

Patchface stayed at Dragonstone while Stannis wasn't even there, he was at King's Landing, that's hardly a concession.

Stannis' campaign to the north did allow her to meet and get along with a giant and maybe even a direwolf(I doubt the kid was scare of Ghost). 

How does that make him a good father? Randyll sending Sam to the Wall allowed him to meet and get along with Jon and the rest, is he a good father in your eyes?

Stannis was better father to her than Robert was to the Joffrey,Tommen,and Myrcella.

I won't debate that, Robert was absolutely terrible. But again, being better than terrible doesn't mean you are good.

Exactly. Nobody can fault him for not spending too much time with her, he has to plan a war and medieval lords didn't spent too much time with their kids anyway before they reached a certain age. 

I didn't call him a bad father, but he can hardly be called a good father based on what we have seen in the books.

The show make him seem a more loving father than he is in the books, well until he burns her alive.

Stannis doesn't have a POV, and therefore we don't see him at his most intimate. Being who he is, he likely wouldn't show affection towards anyone while other people were around. 

Cressen would likely know if Stannis showed any sort of affection for his daughter considering he was pretty much Stannis's surrogate father and around for all of his life, and yet he tells us that Shireen is the saddest child he has ever seen and that both of her parents are distant and generally cold.

Cressen would likely know if Stannis showed any sort of affection for his daughter considering he was pretty much Stannis's surrogate father and around for all of his life, and yet he tells us that Shireen is the saddest child he has ever seen and that both of her parents are distant and generally cold.

Of course she is sad. She has greyscale. No other reasons required, really. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/01/2016 at 1:37 PM, Sullen said:

It seems like Stanstans suffer from the same victimization complex as their favourite character, nobody is out to get you, and Stannis being in compared to the other three characters is not some ridiculous notion or an attack at his fanbase.

On 20/11/2015 at 11:37 AM, Sullen said:

Inflammatory, sure, trolling, no.

So, your intention is to be friendly by saying inflammatory comments?

On 17/11/2015 at 4:45 PM, Sullen said:

He had a considerable advantage over Mance, and was pretty much even with Balon if the Redwyne fleet was not involved, he was actually advantaged there as well if it was,

Attacking Renly and Mace would have been suicide comparatively.

It is a stupid thing to do.

On 11/01/2016 at 6:18 PM, Minsc said:

Stannis instead just burns people alive.  Stannis hardly has any moral ground up on Randyll.  Heck, Tarly fits more with the Mannis mantel that Stannis fans try to frame Stannis with.

Sure, not an attack.

On 11/01/2016 at 6:18 PM, Minsc said:

Heck, Tarly fits more with the Mannis mantel that Stannis fans try to frame Stannis with.

Spoiler

"Bolton has blundered," the king declared. "All he had to do was sit inside his castle whilst we starved. Instead he has sent some portion of his strength forth to give us battle. His knights will be horsed, ours must fight afoot. His men will be well nourished, ours go into battle with empty bellies. It makes no matter. Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come. We hold the ground, and that I mean to turn to our advantage."

Spoiler

Theon: "Lord Ramsay is the one Your Grace should fear."

Stannis bristled at that. "I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

"We all know what my brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his warhammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the Bastard with his right." Stannis rose to his feet. "I am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell … or die in the attempt."

I don't know about you, but we find scenes like these pretty badass, and it's one of the reasons as to why Stannis is called the Mannis. Tarly never had a scene like one of these, and is deserving of no shit at all. Get over it.

Stannis is much closer to Tywin, Roose, and Randyll than Dany.

Not really. It is Dany who is closer to these three. She hardly has any moral ground up on them. Heck, Tywin or Roose fit more with the mother of dragons mantel that Dany fans try to frame her with.

Archived