Bringing the Iron Islands into the fold.

Ser Vampyr

Garrisoning The Iron Islands with Greenland soldiers won't be a problem: Robert can just do what William the Conqueror did and hand out land to knights who fought bravely in battle.

If we're going that route then make the Lannisters the overlords of the Iron Islands since they are very close to them and can easily send in the troops whenever needed. Plus with all their knowledge in regards to mining, the Lannisters can set up shop and extract their natural resources as the Iron Islands are rich in iron, tin and other practical mineral ores.

1) Yes. They were. For a few days or maybe a few weeks they were on the island. However, you're scenario would require the North to continue to garrison the Islands with their troops for years.

2) How does it benefit Robert to have the Greyjoys swear fealty to Ned instead of him? Its not as if they were left independent.

1: OK

2: They would be swearing fealty to the Iron Throne as well as Ned (as bannerman)

The Iron Island have shown they cant be trusted to rule themselves and I need a strong, sensible Lord Paramount that I trust to oversee their rule. That is Ned.

I need a Lord over the Iron Islands, one that knows what it is to be from a poor Island, one that is loyal to the Crown and to the North, one that has proven himself in battle in Robert's name. That is Jorah.

Robert benefits because, 1: he doesn't have to be involved. 2: He has someone one he trusts dealing with it. 3: Giving the Iron Islands to the North keeps from giving more power to the Westerlands who are already to powerful and rich. 4: The best way to increase your strength is to to take a weakness (in this case the un-trustworthiness of the Iron Islands as well as the lack of a Navy to protect the the North/ West) and apply your strength to it (experienced seaman and shipbuilders now under the command of a trustworthy LP and Lord). 5: You have strengthened your most loyal ally.

1: OK

2: They would be swearing fealty to the Iron Throne as well as Ned (as bannerman)

The Iron Island have shown they cant be trusted to rule themselves and I need a strong, sensible Lord Paramount that I trust to oversee their rule. That is Ned.

I need a Lord over the Iron Islands, one that knows what it is to be from a poor Island, one that is loyal to the Crown and to the North, one that has proven himself in battle in Robert's name. That is Jorah.

Robert benefits because, 1: he doesn't have to be involved. 2: He has someone one he trusts dealing with it. 3: Giving the Iron Islands to the North keeps from giving more power to the Westerlands who are already to powerful and rich. 4: The best way to increase your strength is to to take a weakness (in this case the un-trustworthiness of the Iron Islands as well as the lack of a Navy to protect the the North/ West) and apply your strength to it (experienced seaman and shipbuilders now under the command of a trustworthy LP and Lord). 5: You have strengthened your most loyal ally.

1) I'm saying that it makes no sense to have them swear fealty to Ned. That would only create more problems.

2) The Baratheonsdnot being involved in the drumming of the Iron Islands is not a benefit.

3) Then why shouldn't he take it for himself? he doesn't have to give the Iron Islands to the Starks or the Lannisters.

4) The Greyjoys would never follow the orders of a Stark.

5) Why wouldn't he strengthen himself instead?

1) I'm saying that it makes no sense to have them swear fealty to Ned. That would only create more problems.

2) The Baratheonsdnot being involved in the drumming of the Iron Islands is not a benefit.

3) Then why shouldn't he take it for himself? he doesn't have to give the Iron Islands to the Starks or the Lannisters.

4) The Greyjoys would never follow the orders of a Stark.

5) Why wouldn't he strengthen himself instead?

1: Why would the Baratheons take it over on the other side of Westeros?

2: The King does no not over see any single piece of the Kingdom (except for the Crownlands which is basically just the King's hunting grounds and suburbs of King's landing)

3: The only other option is to let them rule themselves which lead to a rebellion

4: The Greyjoys would be dead, only Asha would still be alive abd she is married to Jorah

5: See number 1 and 2

1: Why would the Baratheons take it over on the other side of Westeros?

2: The King does no not over see any single piece of the Kingdom (except for the Crownlands which is basically just the King's hunting grounds and suburbs of King's landing)

3: The only other option is to let them rule themselves which lead to a rebellion

4: The Greyjoys would be dead, only Asha would still be alive abd she is married to Jorah

5: See number 1 and 2

1) Not all feudal Kingdoms were continuous.

2) Ned isnt as involved in the running of his vassals lands as you think he is.

3) Or he could give it to Tywin. Or a Baratheon. Giving them to Ned would just create more problems. The Greyjoys heing happy serving the Starks is inlikely.

4) You think Ned would kill a ten year old?

5) See 1 and 2.

1) Not all feudal Kingdoms were continuous.

So, that does not make it a good idea

2) Ned isnt as involved in the running of his vassals lands as you think he is.

In this situation he would have to be

3) Or he could give it to Tywin. Or a Baratheon. Giving them to Ned would just create more problems. The Greyjoys heing happy serving the Starks is inlikely.

Already addressed this. Giving to Tywin makes the Westerlands even more rich and powerful. Something I would avoid at all costs. Stannis is already at Dragonstone and Renly at Storm's End, which Baratheon is left? Greyjoys are gone

4) You think Ned would kill a ten year old?

Go back an ACTUALLY read my plan. I said Theon is sent to the Wall.

5) See 1 and 2.

You see 1 and 2 ;)

How would you as either Lord/Lady Paramount of the Iron Islands or King/Queen of the Seven Kindoms make the Iron Islands and Ironborn apart of the Kindom and to remove their "reaving and pillaging" society to make them a proper and fully functioning loyal vassal of the Iron throne. While  also getting the other kindoms, especially the North and Riverlands to have a somewhat diplomatic and non-hostile relationship with the Ironborn.

You'll get the support of the mainland but resistance will come from within.  The Ironborn think they're above farming.  Get ready for war among the Ironborn.  The ship captains and the old guard need to die before reform can take place.  Fishing and farming are hard labor.  It's not sexy like piracy and reaving.  It's a tough sell. 

1) It's better than the one you're proposing.

2) He can't. the Ironborn hate the Starks, the distances involved are to great and the North lack the money and men to hold it.

3) The Starks aren't exactly weak. They have marriage alliances with two major kingdoms already. He could appoint a castellan to rule the Iron Islands in his name and pass it on to Joffrey or atom men when they're old enough.

4) I doubt he'd agree with that.

It's going to happen, the formula is pretty simple.

Have a charismatic and selfish warmonger lead all the most glory thirsting warriors to ruin or disregard them when there's no use for them so that they may ruin themselves. Meanwhile back on the islands have a catastrophe brewing that will wipe them out if they don't flee, forcing those left to turn to sensible leadership and having those that refuse fall to the catastrophe.

Euron will use up and burn those he has with him. With the white walkers on the way the Islands will have to turn to the leadership of Rodrik, Asha and Theon or perish. Those that do will live and so will be a new Ironborn, fashioned by Asha and Rodrik as per their conversations. The old way will die, their new way is all that will survive.

'We shall sweep over the green lands with fire and sword, root out the seven gods of the septons and the white trees of the northmen.' The soft folk of westeros 'pray to trees and golden idols and goat headed abominations.'  The ironborn will not surrender.

Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

Abolish thralldom. Give a tax exemption to each ironborn that had a thrall, for a period of 10 years.

Keep the salt wives system, but all offspring will carry the surname of the father.

The priests of the Drowned God will be organized in a formal college of priests, being the great priest ellected among the other priests, with the seat of their religion located in Old Wyck.

Each new King of the Seven  Kingdoms will be annointed, in three diferent cerimonies, by a representant of the Faith, of the Old Gods and the Drowned God Cult.

Reaving the Seven Kingdoms, lands or seas, is forbidden.

But each ironborn captain can protect sealines from other pirates, and receive a reward for each pirate ship they capture.

Keep the Greyjoys has Lord Paramounts.

Reorganize the Small Council to receive 2 diferent advisors - one choosed among the high nobles, the other choosed among the common people - from each region of the Seven Kingdoms (Iron Islands included).

The Ironborn can join, if they want, a new, relatively small, military unit, of soldiers in heavy armor, that can land in any place of the coast of the Seven Kingdoms, to protect the peace of the King and defenf the people from threats. The said unit will have bases - under the commander of a Lord Commander choosed by the King - in King's Landing, Oldtown, Lannisport, Gulltown and White Harbor.

Converting them to the faith of the Seven is probably the easiest course of action, and is already happening to some degree. That's sort of how the real Vikings were dealt with. 

So send more missionaries to the islands and have them preach and build additional septs there, levy extra tolls (or even trade embargoes) against Ironborn who want to trade with the Seven Kingdoms but follow the Drowned God, and revoke these limitations for Ironborn who follow the Seven, and so on. 

Once they are converted then the piracy should start going away, since many of the reasons for why it is happening now are religious and cultural. Some of it will probably always remain since the islands are poor and full of good sailors. But it could probably be decreased by a lot. 

I really think that by the end of the saga the ironborn people will convert to Old Gods by witnessing a grand magic cast upon their islands. Probably Hammer of Waters by Bran?

I really think House Stark is the endgame royal house of Westeros with Jon as its patriarch and king and Sansa, Arya and Bran all supporting his rule (no, Rickon will not survive unfortunately and Winterfell will be destroyed). 

Having said that, there is a reason Theon Greyjoy, a young heir and only son of Lord Balon Greyjoy, ruler of Iron Islands, was fostered and raised by House Stark and have that connection with them. Especially his whole storyline with Winterfell, Bran and Rickon, and then his punishment at Bolton hands.

Old Gods (Bran) will use Theon to convert ironborn to true religion, kinda paralleling Theon's storyline of that with Moses. Moses showed a way to his people to the Promised Land, and Pharaoh was not willing to let them go. 

I think after a catastrophe in Iron Islands caused by Children of the Forest's magic, Theon, as an agent of Old Gods, warning them and Aeron about it beforehand, and ironborn naturally not believing him and witnessing it first hand, the ironmen will follow Theon to the main land and settle at Cape Kraken in the North and start following the Old Gods and bend the knee to House Stark, royal house of Westeros, and will change their pillaging and raiding ways, becoming Westeros' main naval force and protecting its sea borders like krakens they are.

Maybe some ironborn, having converted to Old Gods, will get an ability to skinchange? Imagine skinchanging a kraken at the sea? Daaaamn, I think I already wanna see Theon doing it. Come on, Bran, teach him how to do that, no one will dare to invade Westeros from sea after that.

I really think Iron Islands are going under water by some flood or tsunami caused by Long Night and their "promised land" is the North, and more specific, Cape Kraken. Their religion is called a religion of Drowned God, these islands are destined to drown along with some people. Theon is bound to do something redeeming for House Stark, and swaying ironborn under Jon's rule and make then worship Old Gods (Bran) is a perfect start.

Why would I stop piracy it sure beats working . Remember it going to take generations to change , find a Drowned Priest that you can deal with convince him that build up both the merchant and pirate fleet , children born to rock wives run the pirate fleet , while children born to salt wives run the merchant fleet ,avoid conflicts with other Seven Kingdoms . Began to colonize other areas as more wealth flow in from trade and the reavers die off , the culture began to change .

It's going to happen, the formula is pretty simple.

Have a charismatic and selfish warmonger lead all the most glory thirsting warriors to ruin or disregard them when there's no use for them so that they may ruin themselves. Meanwhile back on the islands have a catastrophe brewing that will wipe them out if they don't flee, forcing those left to turn to sensible leadership and having those that refuse fall to the catastrophe.

Euron will use up and burn those he has with him. With the white walkers on the way the Islands will have to turn to the leadership of Rodrik, Asha and Theon or perish. Those that do will live and so will be a new Ironborn, fashioned by Asha and Rodrik as per their conversations. The old way will die, their new way is all that will survive.

Yep, seems like the best answer. It's definitely an easier problem to solve with all the war mongers either dead or a thousand miles away. 

If I were the king, I will try to install a lord who is leaning towards to mainland policy ( they had one in the history who abandoned salty wife stuff and marry a main land lady as sole wife, forgot the name) . Then he can slowly reform and abandon their ridiculous tradition. 

then I will have a strong military harbor base close to iron islands with my royal fleet around. Somewhere close to old town. No need to keep all of the fleets in DS. It does not look like it is very necessary to keep numerous fleets in dragon stone. Plus combine with redwyne fleet to keep iron people in line. 

• 3 months later...

I'm assuming I'm lord of the Iron Islands and the events of AGOT didn't happened yet.

Let me see...

My people are thristy for loot and I'm building a fleet. They want to conquer a huge part of Westeros. First, I send a host to the Westerlands to conquer a part of it. A small one, 300 or 500 men. Lead by specific "troublemakers" Ironborns. While the troop's still in sea, I send a crow to Tywin Lannister telling his region will be attacked and in which point it'll be (and why I'm doing it). And also, a letter regarding a alliance between he and me. The pact says I'll aid him with my army whenever it's needed, in exchange of a small part of the Westerlands I just sent my men to. Let's assume Tywin agrees. So, I have this part of the Westerlands, and the host I sent is dead. I make a public discuss telling my people we paid the Iron price and conquered a part of the Westerlands. Even if they know the conquered part isn't very big, Tywin Lannister was attacked on his own region, and surrendered. That shall make them satisfied. And now, assuming Tywin had sent crows across Westeros regarding the alliance... The Ironborn would hear about it sooner or later; I'd tell them they're the lies of a lord who still wants to look proud, a defeated lion. Bullshit. Tywin Lannister could hear about Ironborn conquering his region, and his proud could be hurted... But they're just the lies of a folk used to pillage that was forced to be civil. Rumors of idiots.

I'm doing the following at the same time I did the above:

I then march with a host to conquer a part of the North. I send the host lead by some troublemakers to pillage on Stoney shore (Was it the place Asha was talking about in the king's moot?). Then, I send a letter to Ned Stark to have a conversation with him. While he's coming to me, the men would've already made their attack. I tell the Ironborn Ned Stark has frightened and is trying to pacify with me. I finally have an encounter with Ned. I personally go to the location of the meeting with 10 or 20 men. Ned at this point would probably know about the attack I ordered. I tell him it wasn't intentional, my men attacked the region without my consent, and to prove this I say I'll kill the troublemakers for this. I offer him a alliance with me as well, and tell him I'm trying to change the Ironborn way of life, no more pillage. And I offer him aid to fight the wildlings (If the time to fight them arrives, I use the excuse the wildlings are a threat to our part of the North). I execute the troublemakers by drown, using the excuse they didn't did the things right. I'd use the same method I did with Tywin regarding the rumors.

So, Ned Stark has made a alliance with the lord of the Iron Islands, so I think this would please the Tullys as well. And Tywin Lannister may be useful to have an reasonable link with the king in the Iron throne in the future.

These "troublemakers" I'm referring to are particular cruel Ironborns, I'm getting rid of them because they may be a problem, wanting things like more pillage and whatnot when alliances are already made.

If I was  KOTIT Sail the Royal Fleet over, crush the iron fleet and take all wood from the wreckage that can be salvaged. Burn Lordsport to the Ground, and kill all the population this should cripple the potential of the Ironborn to rebuild a fleet for the present .It might persuade the smarter Ironborn to five up without a fight. Agree to meet those that are willing to surrender and offer generous terms.1. They only have to hand over their heir who will be treated as wards, not prisoners, in respectable greenlander houses. 2. Only 15% of their population must be put to the sword making them the most powerful lords in the Iron Islands after my conquest.

To the lords that still resist,  I will tear down their walls, destroy their personal fleets, burn their shipbuilding facilities, kill 50% of their smallfolk, take their male heirs as prisoners and send them to the wall, execute the Lord paramount and replace him with one of the surrendered lords. Release thralls and make them landowners on the land on which they used to occupy providing they convert to the faith of the Seven. raise at least one former Thrall to prominent lord per island. issue a bounty on all drowned men but insist that they be brought to me alive ( hey i'm not just going to dish out money to people on their word!) so that I can verify the kill. once the drowned men are killed I tear down Nagga's Ribs in front of all of my hostages and prisoners and smash the Seastone chair. I build many Septs and offer the faith of the seven the opportunity to arm 700 men to protect these new sites  on the Iron islands for the next 70 years.

Order that the driftwood from the Iron Fleet to be used to make a massive monument in Kingslanding to commemorate the defeat of the Ironborn (perhaps in the shape of the warrior crushing the drowned god beneath his steel boot). Make the all the lords of the Iron Islands swear fealty to me by this statue and have their descendants renew this pledge to my descendants for 7 generations until they have adopted our culture. Forbid the construction of longships and the faith of the drowned god, occasionally send spies to make sure this is being followed. Publicly impale/ bury alive/ burn anyone who continues to spread the faith or is caught raiding.

(To those wondering why i killed all the smallfolk. I don't believe that life is sustainable on the iron islands for that money people to live an honest life. By killing roughly 40% of the population I ensure that it's sparse resources are shared between more people making an honest living more appealing.) Fewer mouths to feed and backs to clothe mean fewer raids. Also it makes the islands less powerful as a whole. In a few generations, we should have a small but loyal population of hard working boatbuilders, fishermen and iron miners all devoutly following the correct religion.

Archived