MMA & Boxing 17: And NEW

Gears of the Beast

14 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Sorry he doesn't need to make up for not fighting the roid head who almost beat Anderson Silva on a week's notice. 

Haha, I knew you'd like that one.

Unfortunately the lastest rumour is Rashad will step in.

Edit: Ooooooooh, looks like it's going to be OSP according to Jeremy Botter.

Edit again: Confirmed by Dana on Sports Center it's OSP.

The fact that Jones is fighting OSP is a testament to how shallow LHW and HW are. Still, it's nice to see him get a tune up fight after his extended absence. Credit to OSP for stepping up. 

38 minutes ago, Ken Stone said:

BJ Penn vs GSP at 200????  WTF? Why? 

Someone's trolling you

10 minutes ago, Davrum said:

I'm just happy he's still on the card. Bones is my favourite fighter to watch and it's been far, far too long.

Can't believe the last time he fought was back when I was in NZ on holiday. Watching Jones dominate DC in a bar full of crazy kiwis is definitely my fondest MMA related moment. Your MMA fans put our MMA fans to shame. 

4 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Can't believe the last time he fought was back when I was in NZ on holiday. Watching Jones dominate DC in a bar full of crazy kiwis is definitely my fondest MMA related moment. Your MMA fans put our MMA fans to shame. 

That's funny, I went to Brisbane in Dec 2013 for Hunto vs Bigfoot (the first time) and after being in attendance at rugby, football, league and cricket matches, as well as muay thai and MMA events in NZ, that night in Brisbane was the loudest sports event I've ever been at and my favourite MMA moment. Pretty sure that crowd gave me tinnitus during the fifth round. Amazing experience. Although, come to think of it, being so close to Surfers and the Gold Coast the crowd was probably around 50% kiwi anyway.

44 minutes ago, Davrum said:

That's funny, I went to Brisbane in Dec 2013 for Hunto vs Bigfoot (the first time) and after being in attendance at rugby, football, league and cricket matches, as well as muay thai and MMA events in NZ, that night in Brisbane was the loudest sports event I've ever been at and my favourite MMA moment. Pretty sure that crowd gave me tinnitus during the fifth round. Amazing experience. Although, come to think of it, being so close to Surfers and the Gold Coast the crowd was probably around 50% kiwi anyway.

Well yeah the live crowd at an event like that and with one of the greatest HW fights ever is probably gonna be pretty good. But the bar I was at in NZ just gave me such a good impression of the standard MMA fan who's gonna go to the bar to watch a fight. It was fucking packed and everyone was so into the fight even though it the fight was more of an exhibition of technique with an extremely low margin of error than a fast paced barn burner. They *roared* when Jones took DC down, it was amazing. I'm convinced that an Aussie bar you're much more likely to just find some drunkards who are betting/just want to see some blood and a finish. 

Nick Blackwell has woken up from his induced coma after he suffered a bleed on his brain after his fight with Eubank Jr.

I was going to post the other week on how it was a pretty good fight but never got round to it. This is a bit of a reminder of the dangers involved in combat sports though. I'm not entirely convinced by Eubank's claims he told his son to target the body to protect Blackwell, it looked like a tactic they were using pretty early in the fight, but I don't think Eubank Jr or the referee did anything wrong. Blackwell was taking a lot of punishment but I thought he was still coherently defending himself throughout, there was no obvious reason to stop it earlier. He was pretty lucky his eye swelled up the way it did. 

The Yoel Romero-USADA saga has been pretty interesting: 

Romero pops for some PED, which should carry a mandatory 2 year suspension, there are claims that Romero has evidence that it was due to a 'tainted supplement'. Romero seems confident he can fight USADA's ruling. USADA reportedly offers him a 9 month suspension instead of 24 months. Romero refuses, choosing to fight USADA's ruling - everyone calls him an idiot. And now it seems like USADA went even lower and offered him a 6 month suspension which Romero has agreed to. 

USADA have come out and said they did indeed test his supplement and the banned substance was in there and not labelled. I can't see why if that is the case, that Romero should get any suspension at all. Would have been a nice precedent for him to set if he went to arbitration and won but USADA's offer was probably too good, 6 month retroactively means he can fight again in 2 months. 

1 hour ago, Gears of the Beast said:

The Yoel Romero-USADA saga has been pretty interesting: 

Romero pops for some PED, which should carry a mandatory 2 year suspension, there are claims that Romero has evidence that it was due to a 'tainted supplement'. Romero seems confident he can fight USADA's ruling. USADA reportedly offers him a 9 month suspension instead of 24 months. Romero refuses, choosing to fight USADA's ruling - everyone calls him an idiot. And now it seems like USADA went even lower and offered him a 6 month suspension which Romero has agreed to. 

USADA have come out and said they did indeed test his supplement and the banned substance was in there and not labelled. I can't see why if that is the case, that Romero should get any suspension at all. Would have been a nice precedent for him to set if he went to arbitration and won but USADA's offer was probably too good, 6 month retroactively means he can fight again in 2 months. 

A 6-month suspension is pretty much no suspension, especially after his last fight. He would have been stupid to not settle. 

8 hours ago, Ken Stone said:

A 6-month suspension is pretty much no suspension, especially after his last fight. He would have been stupid to not settle. 

I agree. that's pretty much what I said. 'Would you rather fight a legal battle, for which the punishment for losing is 2 years suspension or would you rather fight in 2 months' is a very easy decision. The actual suspension doesn't bother me, just the precedent that a fighter that can demonstrate tainted supplements were the cause of a failed drug test should get any suspension at all. 

In shitty news Tony Ferguson is out and the MMA gods continue to refuse to let us see Khabib fight 

Yeah that was kinda funny by RDA, knows Khabib won't fight during during Ramadan offers to fight him during Ramadan using the hashtag #JesusFirst. I wonder how much Christianity vs Islam trash talk we're gonna get. 

In actual UFC 200 news Miesha Tate vs Amanda Nunes per Helwani. Didn't think the UFC would do it, too high a risk that Nunes wins the belt, I thought the UFC was gonna bank on some stability at BW. I'd definitely still pick Tate though. 

edit: Cerrone and Khabib are going at it on Twitter, Khabib claims a few hours after he signed his contract Cowboy pulled out. Cowboy claims he signed the contract but the UFC didn't want the fight to happen...

Perhaps Jonny Bones doesn't just want to beat you, perhaps he also wants to maim you.

At least this pic should put to rest all that "He ain't athletic, he can't even dunk a basketball" malarkey.

Archived