MMA & Boxing 17: And NEW

Gears of the Beast

Helwani is reporting that the UFC is finalising the mainevent for UFC 200, a rematch between Nate and Conor. Which is the biggest blunder the UFC has made in a long time. 

-Nate beat Conor convincingly on ~10 days notice, what the fuck do they think is gonna happen when he gets a full camp to train for him

-Conor has not defended his belt once, he's holding up the FW division for fights that have no significance for any division

-It's high risk/little reward for Conor, he will probably lose again which won't be good for his image at all, if he wins then so what, he beat some lightweight that got absolutely dominated by the lightweight champ???

This fight is great for Nate Diaz, terrible for everyone else including the fans who were all expecting something *big* at UFC 200. Instead we'll get a stacked main card with a mainevent that no-one wanted. 

What the stink?

A champion stepping into a different weight class for a fight in not unheard of. But fighting out of weight twice before defending his belt once? WTF happened to Dana White hating it when titles get held up. Is this guy EVER going to defend that belt? Anybody else and there would be screams to strip the belt. I hope Conor gets spanked again, puts an end to this higher weight class experiment, and gets on to defending that fucking strap. Enough already.

I've been going back and watching some older fights and events lately (best part of Fightpass), so I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations of favorite fights that I should check out. 

I just watched both Mendez vs Aldo fights, the rematch was fucking awesome. So was Lawler vs Condit which I missed back in January. I really thought Condit won it though. 

3 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I've been going back and watching some older fights and events lately (best part of Fightpass), so I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations of favorite fights that I should check out. 

I just watched both Mendez vs Aldo fights, the rematch was fucking awesome. So was Lawler vs Condit which I missed back in January. I really thought Condit won it though. 

Hunt vs Bigfoot

Robbie vs Rory

Gustafsson vs Jones

Joanna vs Penne

3 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

So was Lawler vs Condit which I missed back in January. I really thought Condit won it though. 

So did everyone besides those judges, it seems. Watch Condit- MacDonald. Seeing Jackson yell at Condit after the 2nd round when Condit was down 2 rounds and Carlos coming out like a man possessed for the final round still gives me chills.

Lawler vs Matt Brown

Nate Diaz vs Michael Johnson

9 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

YeahI thought Condit clearly won 3 rounds, awesome fight though. Edgar vs Aldo was similar to Mendes vs Aldo 2

Some others..

Lawler vs Rory the greatest fight in recent memory

Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen

Fedor vs Rampage (just for that suplex)

Fedor vs Rogers

Most of Stephen Wonderboy Thompson fights were pretty good

1 hour ago, dooog said:

Lawler vs Rory the greatest fight in recent memory

I've probably said it before but I think that stare down at the end of the fourth round is the greatest moment in MMA history. 

Rory, has a great style, he's been in some very underrated fights. Like the way he dominated Tyron Woodley. People like to forget about that fight and pretend that Woodley is a legit contender because he beat Condit via injury. Another fighter with a great catalogue of fights is Jon Jones, he's pretty much my go-to when I wanna watch some beautiful MMA. 

This whole Hunt vs Mir card has been really good so far. Thanks for the suggestions guys, already seen a few of them and I'll check out some of the others tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, dooog said:

Most of Stephen Wonderboy Thompson fights were pretty good

I just watched him vs Hendricks yesterday as well. Really impressive stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Another fighter with a great catalogue of fights is Jon Jones, he's pretty much my go-to when I wanna watch some beautiful MMA. 

I've never seen any of his fights but I'm really looking forward to 197. Gonna check out some of his back catalogue before then. 

3 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I've never seen any of his fights but I'm really looking forward to 197. Gonna check out some of his back catalogue before then. 

Watch the fight against Shogun where be became the youngest champ in UFC history and I guess you should watch the first fight with Daniel Cormier bearing in mind that it was Cormier's only loss ever.

Also the fight against Vitor is pretty important, I can give some context: The 'enhanced' version of Vitor was terrifying, his only other loss since 2006 was Anderson Silva. His victories included a headkick KO of Luke Rockhold (his only loss since 2007). The thing that happened in round 1 of his fight with Jones (I won't spoil) still affects Jones to this day. And it was recently revealed that the UFC knew of a 'sketchy' drug test result from Vitor before the fight, allowed the fight to go ahead and covered up the drug test. Really interesting fight with all that in mind. 

16 hours ago, Calibandar said:

That seems really odd if that turns out to be correct.

I'd rather see him take on Edgar, or a re-match with Aldo.

I'm  hoping it's not correct. Given that both Dana and Conor argued that he should go back to FW right after the Nate fight I have no idea what madness could have set in between then and now to make them forget what they know to be right.

Maybe Conor just can't cut down to 145 again, I dunno.

Either way, I have no idea why this is a welterweight fight. That's just nonsense. 

13 minutes ago, Castel said:

I'm  hoping it's not correct. Given that both Dana and Conor argued that he should go back to FW right after the Nate fight I have no idea what madness could have set in between then and now to make them forget what they know to be right.

Helwani isn't the type to release a report like that unless he was 99.9% sure. I mean I hope it's not correct too, but it is. 

6 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Helwani isn't the type to release a report like that unless he was 99.9% sure. I mean I hope it's not correct too, but it is. 

Oh, I know, I'm just hoping against hope he's wrong cause this is kinda fucked.

If it does happen I really want Nate to beat Conor cause the alternative will be horrible in terms of what people say. "Just as originally planned, fluke avenged". Fuck that. 

4 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

The UFC used to get accused of giving Conor special treatment all the time but now it seems like they're straight up capitulating to his demands...Joe Silva, Dana, Lorenzo and co. can't think this is a good idea. 

Right. I thought they were milking Conor like any other star and it was to their mutual benefit but this is just ludicrous, when his challenger for the belt is right there.

If he cannot cut for some reason, he should dump the belt and move on. Let him work his way up LW.

I guess they saw the unprecedented numbers that UFC 196 did for a completely meaningless fight and they just submitted.

On 3/19/2016 at 5:47 AM, KiDisaster said:

The most spectacular and successful fighter in the history of the UFC is a guy called Anderson Silva. He doesn't just hold the record for the most title defenses and the longest undefeated streak, he's responsible for some of the most incredible moments in the history of the sport.

Anderson vs Chael I: This one is not spectacular per se, but it is about as dramatic as MMA gets. While watching, keep in mind that pre-fight Chael had laid the trash-talk blueprint Conor McGregor would later pick up, and even more importantly that post-fight tests revealed that Chael had fought with blood chemistry consistent with PED abuse, with a T/E level almost 16 times higher than that of a normal man.

Anderson vs Chael II: The rematch, in which Chael again talked all manner of trash, but this time the world found out how "clean" Chael truly matched up with The Spider.

Anderson vs Vitor: Vitor was on a 4-win streak, having won his last 3 by KO and looking like a monster. When watching this fight and how it ends keep in mind that only 18 months later Vitor would go up 20 lb to try to compete in a weight class in which he hadn't fought for half a decade (and had a poor 4-5 record in when he'd dropped to MW) and yet managed to stretch Jon Jones, the greatest 205 champion in history, all the way to the 4th round. Yes, Anderson was that great.

Anderson vs Forrest: Speaking of going up 20 lb, here Anderson went up to 205 to take on the man who had been champion of 205 only a year earlier and who had finished Shogun and beaten Rampage, not to mention leading the fight against Rashad until he got caught. Forrest Griffin was a beast of a 205er at the time and Anderson beat him faster and more comprehensively than any 205er ever had been able to at that time. Think of this performance by Anderson when you consider that 145 lb champ Conor - a very, very good fighter - just fought a guy from a division only 10 lb up, and who's never been champion, and yet Conor got finished in the second. Yes, Anderson was that great.

Anderson vs Henderson: At the time Hendo was the Pride champion at the same weight class and had recent victories over killers Vitor and Wanderlei and would later go on to defeat HW legend Fedor as well as 205 legend Shogun twice.

Anderson vs Leben: Anderson's UFC debut. Leben was on a 6-win streak and many expected him to deliver a rude welcome to the newcomer from Brazil.

Anderson vs Okami: Just Anderson being Anderson.

Anderson vs Bonnar: More Anderson being Anderson, again going up to fight a guy from a division 20 lb heavier.

Anderson vs Weidman I: Anderson still trying to be Anderson at 37. Still unbelievable to watch to this day. Probably the most dramatic title fight in UFC history after his fight(s) with Chael.

Anderson vs Weidman II: Another which is still unbelievable to watch to this day. Probably the 4th most dramatic title fight in UFC history, and by far the most dramatic finish.

Anderson vs Franklin I: Anderson Silva's first UFC title fight, challenging for the belt against a red hot champion who was an absolute destroyer with a 21-1 record (20 wins by finish), on an 8-win streak and undefeated in the UFC.

-

Anderson Silva was/is even to the most casual MMA follower (ie me) fairly obviously a great, but I think I'm always going to mark him down in my head for how painfully, painfully obviously he always wanted to be Roy Jones Jr.

I am hoping, however, that he learns the lessons from his idol and retires soon, rather than carrying on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on until he's long sailed past irrelevance and sadness and is fast approaching the shores of potential tragedy.

Checked out Jones vs Cormier 1, Jones vs Shogun & Jones vs Chael last night. This guy is a monster. I think I've gotta root for Cormier going into 197 cause I just want to know how the hell you beat someone like him. 

I also watched Silva vs Weidman 1 & 2. I remember seeing a gif of that leg break a while back (probably around the time the fight happened). Ugh, that had me cringing like crazy. First fight was pretty funny. You've gotta feel like an absolute asshole if you get knocked out after mocking your opponent like that. 

Archived