MMA & Boxing 17: And NEW

Gears of the Beast

Well that was rubbish for 9 rounds and quite good for the last 3.

Quigg will be pretty sick about that I'd say, Frampton's basically won that off the back of Quigg doing fuck all in the first half of the fight and letting Frampton win the rounds by showing more aggression but not really doing anything of note.

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Well that was rubbish for 9 rounds and quite good for the last 3.

Quigg will be pretty sick about that I'd say, Frampton's basically won that off the back of Quigg doing fuck all in the first half of the fight and letting Frampton win the rounds by showing more aggression but not really doing anything of note.

Joe Gallagher needs to have a long hard look at himself. He was telling Quigg he was doing fine and then he heard Sky had Frampton 6-1 up and shat himself.
I think they let the 'boxing brain' talk get to them and try to prove they could actually outbox Frampton like that- which was never going to happen.

That was a great fight between Silva and Bisping. Oddly, I kept feeling Silva could have comfortably won it if he'd just done more.

He stood around so much, unbelievable. He did do real damage, more than he took, but I can live with him losing the fight because he was too passive. Those final two minutes Bisping really looked like he'd go out and in those 2 minutes, Silva hardly did anything.

2 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Was the knee devastating in the 3rd round? I missed it but from what I read it was basically Silva's lack of aggressiveness that cost him the fight, as Calibandar said. My thoughts as soon as I saw that he lost was retirement as well.

Yeah, few more seconds and Anderson would have won. 

What was odd was how Anderson didn't go back on the attack at the opening of the 4th while Bisping was clearly still rocked. Anderson spent the last 30 seconds of R3 advancing while Bisping desperately backpedalled, a period of sustained pressure culminating in the flying knee which dropped Bisping. There was no reason not to begin R4 by going on the front foot again.

It was the same hesitation we saw against Nick Diaz, where it felt like he could and should pour it on but refused to. There was a suggestion later that Anderson had "felt a screw move" in his leg during the first round, which indicates he still just doesn't feel right in his post-legbreak body. Even at 100% it's tough to fight MMA at 40, but if you feel you can't trust your body anymore it's time to hang it up.

Meanwhile, I didn't like the way the other Diaz bro was rubbing his knuckle after Conor cracked him there during the face-off. Conor is amazing for the sport, but he certainly crossed a line on that one.

I think he will end up giving up the belt. I'd like to see him defend it once first, but it looks like he's got other plans that don't really involve the Featherweight division. That top photo is him completely drained after a rough weight cut from his bad knee. I don't think he cut any weight in the bottom photo for this fight. He is noticeably bigger though and not just in that photo. I heard he added a lot of muscle, which would probably make the cut to 145 even harder. Yeah, I doubt he goes back down. 155, yes. 145, no.

I heard one reporter - Patrick Wyman of Bleacher I think it was - who said word on the journalist street was Conor was at least 170lbs in the cage against Aldo, while Aldo was closer to 163.

The sooner they change the game to remove that unnecessarily damaging aspect the better.

He should just vacate now and allow people to figure out what to do with the belt.

But...I see why not. Might as well straddle and try to minimize risk. But that was a better strategy before RDA got injured, now, by rights, he should have to cut back to 145 to fight someone, but I don't know if we'll see it as he might prefer to hedge and hedge and get the superfight with RDA.

8 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

I don't really think Connor has added any size. His physique looks the same in both pictures minus about 20lbs of water in the first.

Man he looks way bigger in the pictures we've seen of him in the last few weeks.
One commentator described him as looking like a tank compared to his FW physique.

He has definitely added size. As he said "steak for breakfast, steak for lunch, steak for dinner".

Archived