Will Daemon Sand become Aegon's KG?

purple-eyes

Daemon sand is an interesting figure.

His name is quite unusual. A bastard boy named daemon, don't you feel familiar? Just like Daemon Blackfyre Waters. 

And he was called as one of the finest swords in Dorne. He is sworn shield of Arianne,

I know he did not trust Aegon at all. But who knows, maybe Arianne will be persuaded and side with Aegon.

if Arianne chooses to marry Aegon, then I can see Daemon will become KG.

And he is ex-lover of Arianne and Arianne still had feeling over him.

So if Arianne marries Aegon and Aegon was caught by Elia Sand, then we will have another pair of KG + queen........

Especially Arianne did not like darkstar due to the situation of Myrcella. 

Then we can see she ignores the sword of evening and chooses Daemon. 

I am also pretty interested in this guy, mostly due to this name. Both Daemons that we know much about, Targaryen and Blackfyre, did little good for Dorne and thus the choise of the name Daemon for a Dornish suprised me a great deal. The idea that there could be a new KG+queen team coming up makes some sense but I don't know how much time there's left for a development like that in the series with everything else going on, and most importantly that Daenerys will finally come to Westeros, at some point.

But if it could happen it would no doubt be very interesting. 

Certainly in the realms of possibilities and should Arianne marry Aegon (not in any way guaranteed), that'd increase the likelihood considerably. 

I read (or maybe watched) an interview with GRRM while back where he explained that he doesn't make long-term plans for the minor characters and just uses them as he sees fit in a given moment. If he needs few casualties, he'll just pick them almost randomly from the pool of the "named characters" at the location. It works the other way as well as a completely throwaway character who happens to be at the right place at the right time could be "elevated" to play a more important role (Marillion perhaps?).

Daemon might play an important role but he may also die in the next skirmish. 

Edit: spelling

34 minutes ago, Hangover of the Morning said:

Certainly in the realms of possibilities and should Arianne marry Aegon (not in any way guaranteed), that'd increase the likelihood considerably. 

I read (or maybe watched) an interview with GRRM while back where he explained that he doesn't make long-term plans for the minor characters and just uses them as he sees fit in a given moment. If he needs few casualties, he'll just pick them almost randomly from the pool of the "named characters" at the location. It works the other way as well as a completely throwaway character who happens to be at the right place at the right time could be "elevated" to play a more important role (Marillion perhaps?).

Daemon might play an important role but he may also die in the next skirmish. 

Edit: spelling

What you write makes alot of sense and I pretty much love this approach to the story in that it makes a story as chaotic and unpredictable as real life is.

1 minute ago, LionoftheWest said:

What you write makes alot of sense and I pretty much love this approach to the story in that it makes a story as chaotic and unpredictable as real life is.

I was initially rather upset after seeing the interview  as it made it look like GRRM really neither cares about the minor characters (so why should I emotionally invest in them) nor is he planning to much in advance. You are absolutely right that It adds so much realisms to the books and helps with the immersion.

One of George's strengths is the ability to give a random character a personality in just couple of sentences and make them feel like real human beings, thus make us feel emotionally attached to them. 

The average author of a book deals with a limited amount of heroes and villains and thus doesn't have the luxury to be offing people on a whim. That sometimes has the unfortunate side-effect of diminishing the impact of wars and tragedies because rarely anyone the audience cares about dies as a consequence. 

When you look back at the books, you can see that some of the minor characters have to die to move the story forward (Yoren, Oberyn etc.) but there's plenty of other characters (good or bad) who could have gone either way without impacting the story. I remember being quite sad when Jacelyn Bywater, Davos' sons or Small Paul died as it felt so unfair. 

I actually think Daemon would join Aegon's KG. I think if Arianne marries he would have a Bonifer Hasty reaction, and give up on love and replace it with a lifetime of celibacy in service to the king in place of the Seven for Hasty. Being in the KG would at least allow him to be close to Arianne.

I also don't think he would be refused given he is described as one of the finest swords in Dorne.  

Daemon is an interesting choice of name, for sure. Perhaps it was chosen because of some hopes that the kid would grow up to be as great a fighter as those two Daemons that we know about? (Dorne can vouch for at least one of them.)

I am not sure I can see Daemon as a KG. At the same time, I cannot say I can't see him. Sure, he's devoted to Arianne who might be disappointed with Aegon from the beginning, even without Elia Sand. Sure, he's tall, Targaryen-beautiful and so on but he's a boy. The only time I can remember Arianne liking boys was when she was a girl.

While such a situation would be an echo of other queen+KG situation, both Daemon and Arianne differ too greatly from the other pairs. First, Arianne has a heart. Her mistakes come from it, mostly. Cersei just has an organ meant to keep her body functioning. Second, Daemon might be still in love with her but he actually has other interests and people he cares about - Oberyn, the Sand Snakes on whose release he insisted, his father perhaps. He isn't as vulnerable to his attraction to Arianne as Jaime is to Cersei's charms. And they're certainly no Naerys and Aemon in their saintlike love from afar yet so close. Sure, Daemon might decide to spend his life close to his love and queen but it's just as likely that he'd turn his back and go his own way. We never hear of him chasing after her after he was refused her hand.

That's if he makes it so far into the story alive, of course.

One thing interesting about daemon is that GRRM spent some effort to describe that daemon felt bitter to be refused by Arianne.

He refused her request on having sex, he mocked her about playing chess, he also sort of rude while talking with her.

I am not sure what is the meaning of these towards the future plots.

20 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

One thing interesting about daemon is that GRRM spent some effort to describe that daemon felt bitter to be refused by Arianne.

He refused her request on having sex, he mocked her about playing chess, he also sort of rude while talking with her.

I am not sure what is the meaning of these towards the future plots.

Stereotypical love story about two old flames falling back in love with one another tropes is what that screams to me. The jilted suitor tries to show how "over her" he is, but through his very same actions only shows how she still drives him crazy and is in his thoughts constantly.

Were this anyone else, including Jane Austen, we'd have the former flames rekindle their romance. I think Austen might have invented the modern version of this trope with her final novel, Persuasion (link to 1995 adaptation trailer--I could be wrong about that though); though her other novels do touch upon variations of this kind of relationship with background characters as well, Persuasion is the first novel to my knowledge to truly have be a focus of the main story of recovering a second chance at lost love. And prior to that this idea was typically explored by having one of the characters die and come back to life again for the parent trope. Jane Austen seems to take that trope idea by instead transferring the "die and come back to life" motif to their emotions rather than their physical states.

In any case, the two love birds getting back together again seems unlikely to me. Methinks this is not going to happen with Arianne and Daemon, if GRRM were to subvert the blatant tropes he's laying down here.

Traditionally the lady would be drawn in at seeing her ex-lover behaving so abnormally from how he used to, and figuring out that he still cares, but is trying not to show it or protest too much is typically endearing to said lady protagonist.

Here, I think Martin might successfully pull off that in reality this trope is about men being jerks after being spurned by a girl, and how unrealistic it is to expect men being jerks to win the girl over in the end. That's my guess at least.

6 minutes ago, WhitewolfStark said:

Stereotypical love story about two old flames falling back in love with one another tropes is what that screams to me. The jilted suitor tries to show how "over her" he is, but through his very same actions only shows how she still drives him crazy and is in his thoughts constantly.

Were this anyone else, including Jane Austen (I think she might have invented the trope with her final novel, Persuasion (link to 1995 adaptation trailer--I could be wrong about that though); though her other novels do touch upon variations of this kind of relationship with background characters as well, Persuasion is the first novel to my knowledge to truly have be a focus of the main story of recovering a second chance at lost love), we'd have the former flames rekindle their romance. Methinks this is not going to happen with Arianne and Daemon, if GRRM were to subvert the blatant tropes he's laying down here.

Traditionally the lady would be drawn in at seeing her ex-lover behaving so abnormally from how he used to, and figuring out that he still cares, but is trying not to show it or protest too much is typically endearing to said lady protagonist.

Here, I think Martin might successfully pull off that in reality this trope is about men being jerks after being spurned by a girl, and how unrealistic it is to expect men being jerks to win the girl over in the end. That's my guess at least.

I agree Daemon still loved her, so his action can be explained as trying to show that he did not care her now, he is already "over" her, etc.

His true feeling was shown later when he knelt and begged Arianne to let him go to Storm's end in her stead, in order to avoid danger for her.

But I am still wondering what this will affect the future story. I hope he will not become next Arys. A second KG who died for her.

Archived