Indie rock bands of 2015-2016

Frey Filet

Well let's start by getting my obligatory hipster curmudgeon rantlet out of the way: to me "indie rock", while it may have actually meant something at one time, it's such a broad and vague descriptor its pretty much meaningless.

BUT, that being said, pretty sure I know what you're getting at, and with the inclusion of a single example of what you're digging at the moment, here's a small list of some stuff I found to be pretty cool, with a heavy focus on the kind of fuzzy garage psych Tame Impala rocks:

Ty Segall 
Would also strongly suggest checking out any of a MANY recent-ish releases from this extraordinarily prolific weirdo; Fuzz ( his throwback homage to old cream/blue cheer era heavy rock) Ty Rex  (album of T.Rex covers), and my favorite albums Slaughterhouse (raw garage/punk) and Twins (one-of-a-kind California power pop)

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/quarters

The Allah-Las
(Classic '60s era beach rock a la Mamas & Papas etc)

La Luz 
(Kick ass surf-y psych rock, with heavy influence from Western soundtrack sounds a  la Ennio Morricone or Calexico)

All Them Witches

And more rocky less fuzzy stuff, just because

Daughter

Savages

Sleater-Kinney, the goddamn God mothers of 'indie' rock

Courtney Barnett

Sunflower Bean - Easier Said

^these guys actually also have a song called "Tame Impala"

Pond - Elvis' Flaming Star

^there is or was some membership crossover with this band and Tame Impala

Some other stuff I like that I think is in the neighborhood of "indie" rock, though some of it's pretty different from Tame Impala:

Grandparents - Headwarmer

Car Seat Headrest - Something Soon

Beach Slang - Throwaways

Mac DeMarco - I've Been Waiting for Her

Kurt Vile - Pretty Pimpin

Diet Cig - Dinner Date

Public Service Broadcasting - Go!

Let me also second the above recommendations of King Gizzard, Courtney Barnett, Ty Segall, and White Denim.

8 hours ago, OnionAhaiReborn said:

Sunflower Bean - Easier Said

^these guys actually also have a song called "Tame Impala"

Pond - Elvis' Flaming Star

^there is or was some membership crossover with this band and Tame Impala

Some other stuff I like that I think is in the neighborhood of "indie" rock, though some of it's pretty different from Tame Impala:

Grandparents - Headwarmer

Car Seat Headrest - Something Soon

Beach Slang - Throwaways

Mac DeMarco - I've Been Waiting for Her

Kurt Vile - Pretty Pimpin

Diet Cig - Dinner Date

Public Service Broadcasting - Go!

Let me also second the above recommendations of King Gizzard, Courtney Barnett, Ty Segall, and White Denim.

Yes, must also second a bunch of this stuff, especially Kurt Vile, Mac Demarco and Beach Slang

22 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Well let's start by getting my obligatory hipster curmudgeon rantlet out of the way: to me "indie rock", while it may have actually meant something at one time, it's such a broad and vague descriptor its pretty much meaningless.

BUT, that being said, pretty sure I know what you're getting at, and with the inclusion of a single example of what you're digging at the moment, here's a small list of some stuff I found to be pretty cool, with a heavy focus on the kind of fuzzy garage psych Tame Impala rocks:

Ty Segall 
Would also strongly suggest checking out any of a MANY recent-ish releases from this extraordinarily prolific weirdo; Fuzz ( his throwback homage to old cream/blue cheer era heavy rock) Ty Rex  (album of T.Rex covers), and my favorite albums Slaughterhouse (raw garage/punk) and Twins (one-of-a-kind California power pop)

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/quarters

The Allah-Las
(Classic '60s era beach rock a la Mamas & Papas etc)

La Luz 
(Kick ass surf-y psych rock, with heavy influence from Western soundtrack sounds a  la Ennio Morricone or Calexico)

All Them Witches

And more rocky less fuzzy stuff, just because

Daughter

Savages

Sleater-Kinney, the goddamn God mothers of 'indie' rock

Courtney Barnett

Thank you kind poster, you obviously know your music.  I've been enjoying alot of this stuff at the office today. 

Since you know your indie genres/sub genres so well, I'll throw out a few more artists/sub genres I enjoy and (maybe) you can point me towards similar musicians? 

- Purity Ring/Chvrches/Phantogram

- San Cisco/Vampire Weekend

-Miike Snow/Twenty One Pilots/

-White Denim/TV on the Radio/Foals

On February 27, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Frey Filet said:

Thank you kind poster, you obviously know your music.  I've been enjoying alot of this stuff at the office today. 

Since you know your indie genres/sub genres so well, I'll throw out a few more artists/sub genres I enjoy and (maybe) you can point me towards similar musicians? 

- Purity Ring/Chvrches/Phantogram

- San Cisco/Vampire Weekend

-Miike Snow/Twenty One Pilots/

-White Denim/TV on the Radio/Foals

Shit man, sorry for the late reply. On my phone so I'm not gonna paste links, just list off some bands you may like (though not all of this stuff will necessarily be from the past year)

Grimes

Prince Rama

the Chromatics

Speedy Ortiz

Quilt

Warpaint 

Bleachers

War on Drugs

Best Coast

On 3/3/2016 at 8:33 AM, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Shit man, sorry for the late reply. On my phone so I'm not gonna paste links, just list off some bands you may like (though not all of this stuff will necessarily be from the past year)

Grimes

Prince Rama

the Chromatics

Speedy Ortiz

Quilt

Warpaint 

Bleachers

War on Drugs

Best Coast

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!  There's nothing worse than a stale playlist...

I've never heard of any of those guys. The obscurest I get nowadays is with Anna Calvi and The Besnard Lakes. Indie music has not been that good since the end of the '90s. I tell you what I do recommend, though, is a seminal Krautrock album by Amon Duul II, Yeti, which is just a masterpiece. You can check it out on Youtube. You'll definitely dig it if you like Can.

Some great stuff already mentioned(Phantogram, War on Drugs, TV on the Radio),and agree that Tame Impala's new one is really good. I like Grimes but her new album is straight pop and I'm just not down with it.

Some of these are relatively big(I think?)but I'll throw them in anyways:

Local Natives

Beach House

Interpol

Grizzly Bear

Beirut

Broods

Metric

Silversun Pickups

Santigold

Archived