Wow, I Never Noticed That, v. 14

Isobel Harper

8 hours ago, PrettyPig said:

Tyrion meets Oberyn in late 299.   "Half a year past" - when Oberyn received a letter from Willas Tyrell about this "fine horseflesh" - would have been shortly after Dany, wife of a great Dothraki horselord, surfaced in Qarth with three dragons.

That's an intriguing idea. I think it just relates to Olena or Margaery telling Sansa that Willas breeds horses. Are you suggesting that Willas is one of the Golden Company’s friends in the Reach? Or that Willas is concerned about the power Daenerys might martial against his sister? 

Just noticed a similarity between Lightbringer and Heartsbane.

Lightbringer (per legend) was forged when Azor Ahai thrust his sword into his wife's heart, killing her.  Bane means "something that causes death."  Wolfsbane, for example, was said to be a means to kill a werewolf.  Therefore, Heartsbane means something that "kills a heart."

34 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Just noticed a similarity between Lightbringer and Heartsbane.

Lightbringer (per legend) was forged when Azor Ahai thrust his sword into his wife's heart, killing her.  Bane means "something that causes death."  Wolfsbane, for example, was said to be a means to kill a werewolf.  Therefore, Heartsbane means something that "kills a heart."

Hmm... Randyll commanded the center of the Lannister-Tyrell arm that drove Stannis into the sea at the Battle of the Blackwater. Stannis has taken the fiery heart for his sigil. 

I was tempted to post this on @LmL's Astrology thread, but then I realized he has several and I didn't know which one to post it in.  It's only a little thing anyway.

House Velaryon has a few (for the lack of a better word) feminine aspects to it.  First, Lords of House Velaryon are referred to by the title "Lord of the Tides."  Tides are not controlled by the sun, the earth, nor the water but the moon and it's gravitational pull on the planet.  A male seahorse, unlike almost any other animal on Earth (or Planetos, heh), gives birth to the species' young, not the female. 

ETA: Oh, and Aurane Waters has a girl's name.

On 4/10/2016 at 9:02 PM, Isobel Harper said:

First, Lords of House Velaryon are referred to by the title "Lord of the Tides."  Tides are not controlled by the sun, the earth, nor the water but the moon and it's gravitational pull on the planet. 

It's moongravity for all I know.

2 hours ago, Daendrew said:

It's moongravity for all I know.

I'm familiar with the theory that a comet hit the second moon, destroying it and causing The Long Night - involving either the Red Comet striking it or the Red Comet being a piece of the second moon.  A huge tsunami could likely occur during such an event (even without significant-sized pieces of moon debris falling to the planet) due to the sudden change in tidal forces.  From there, debris from the second moon destruction would block out the sun.

56 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

I'm familiar with the theory that a comet hit the second moon, destroying it and causing The Long Night - involving either the Red Comet striking it or the Red Comet being a piece of the second moon.  A huge tsunami could likely occur during such an event (even without significant-sized pieces of moon debris falling to the planet) due to the sudden change in tidal forces.  From there, debris from the second moon destruction would block out the sun.

You are talking about LmL's theory, I think. I don't think there is a second moon, the second moon is the comet.

Oh wow! I never noticed that Targaryen colors are black and red and gold...

I ought to have a banner sewn, she thought as she led her tattered band up along Astapor's meandering river. She closed her eyes to imagine how it would look: all flowing black silk, and on it the red three-headed dragon of Targaryen, breathing golden flames. A banner such as Rhaegar might have borne.

Daenerys III, Storm 27

20 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Oh wow! I never noticed that Targaryen colors are black and red and gold...

Daenerys III, Storm 27

I happen to be looking this type of info up today. It was Aegon 2 that developed his Gold Dragon theme

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aegon_II_Targaryen

His dragon was Sunfyre the Golden and for his personal sigil he took a golden dragon instead of a red Targaryen one, indicating his mount. During the Dance of the Dragons, his faction used his personal heraldry as their battle-flag.[4]

17 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I happen to be looking this type of info up today. It was Aegon 2 that developed his Gold Dragon theme

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Aegon_II_Targaryen

His dragon was Sunfyre the Golden and for his personal sigil he took a golden dragon instead of a red Targaryen one, indicating his mount. During the Dance of the Dragons, his faction used his personal heraldry as their battle-flag.[4]

Just don't tell the AJT folks!

The septon raised his crystal high, so the rainbow light fell down upon them. "Here in the sight of gods and men," he said, "I do solemnly proclaim Tyrion of House Lannister and Sansa of House Stark to be man and wife, one flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever, and cursed be the one who comes between them."

So, Petyr if Petyr successfully severs Sansa's marriage to Tyrion, he will be twice cursed since he is the Lord of Harrenhall. 

Her dwarf husband lifted his eyes slowly from his wine cup. “I’ll have no bedding.”

Joffrey seized Sansa’s arm. “You will if I command it.”

The Imp slammed his dagger down in the table, where it stood quivering. “Then you’ll service your own bride with a wooden prick. I’ll geld you, I swear it.” A shocked silence fell. Sansa pulled away from Joffrey, but he had a grip on her, and her sleeve ripped. No one even seemed to hear. Queen Cersei turned to her father. “Did you hear him?”

Lord Tywin rose from his seat. “I believe we can dispense with the bedding. Tyrion, I am certain you did not mean to threaten the king’s royal person.”

Sansa saw a spasm of rage pass across her husband’s face. “I misspoke,” he said. “It was a bad jape, sire.”

Now, why do you suppose The George wrote that bit about the sleeve ripping and no one hearing? 

10 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Now, why do you suppose The George wrote that bit about the sleeve ripping and no one hearing? 

A combination of people's willful ignorance of Joffrey's abuse towards Sansa and the shock of Tyrion's words and actions.

11 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

A combination of people's willful ignorance of Joffrey's abuse towards Sansa and the shock of Tyrion's words and actions.

I figure the author was symbolizing the power Joffrey had over her. The only one who was truly willing to help her was the twisted little monkey demon, and she wasn't having any of that. 

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I figure the author was symbolizing the power Joffrey had over her. The only one who was truly willing to help her was the twisted little monkey demon, and she wasn't having any of that. 

Well, he fancied Sansa sexually.  He mentions earlier in this scene that Targaryen princes would take any woman they wanted.  He wants to begin the bedding, which meant the disrobing.  He rips her sleeve, showing how close he was and (perhaps) how desperate he was to do so. 

I'd say we almost had a "Aerys/Joanna 2.0" on our hands, with Joffrey taking "liberties" with Sansa during the bedding.  (Not sure what that would fully entail.)

55 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Well, he fancied Sansa sexually.  He mentions earlier in this scene that Targaryen princes would take any woman they wanted.  He wants to begin the bedding, which meant the disrobing.  He rips her sleeve, showing how close he was and (perhaps) how desperate he was to do so. 

I'd say we almost had a "Aerys/Joanna 2.0" on our hands, with Joffrey taking "liberties" with Sansa during the bedding.  (Not sure what that would fully entail.)

Hmm... maybe that's  why Tywin let Tyrion dispense with the bedding ceremony? 

11 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Like grandfather, like grandson? 

21 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Like grandfather, like grandson? 

Well, I don't think Aerys is Cersei's father, so no.  LM is probably right.  He saw a potential repeat of his own wedding, with Joanna/Sansa being taken advantage of in some way.

Archived