[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Reprecussions - Season 6, Tally-Ho

Ran

21 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I had the opposite problem.  I read the books when they first came out, and didn't watch the show until last spring, when I watched s 1-4 back to back.

I started having trouble with season 2.  I was looking forward to seeing how they handled the horror and violence in Arya's story.  And they essentially ignored it!  No witnessing rape and murder, no beatings, no threats,, only some half-hearted scenes with rats.  And then Talisa.  Why is he marrying her?!  It's not like her reputation is at stake, like it was with Jeyne.  Which was a perfectly good story to put in as it was.  I could go on but I don't feel the need.  I could do it all day!  BTW, now that s 5 is on DVD I will probably watch it.  I think I can keep my TV intact.

Well, ultimately the show didn't mess with my appreciation of the books. Because I soon found the books actually less confusing, once I banned the show out of my mind when reading, and at least I got to read aFfC and aDwD without being confused by the show. By then I was already trained to read with attention. I have the s1-4 DVDs but don't want to watch it anymore, because I don't want to conflate show with book plot anymore. 

Also, if the Manderlys are made into Bolton supporters while made-up Northern houses named after D&D’s friends are Jon’s supporters, it’ll be official: D&D hate the source material. Like, literally hate it. These books made them famous and rich, and they actually hate them.

That’d be so freaking mean! That’d be like if the Harry Potter movies made the Weaselys’ into Death Eaters while the directors’ BFFs were cast as Harry’s new friends!

2 minutes ago, nekrohsis said:

Also, if the Manderlys are made into Bolton supporters while made-up Northern houses named after D&D’s friends are Jon’s supporters, it’ll be official: D&D hate the source material. Like, literally hate it. These books made them famous and rich, and they actually hate them.

That’d be so freaking mean! That’d be like if the Harry Potter movies made the Weaselys’ into Death Eaters while the directors’ BFFs were cast as Harry’s new friends!

Yup. They're inserting their own biases about characters to alter who gets which plot part. It's an alternate troll-fic.

You know what the worst part about all this is? And there's a long list of items...the fact that any controversial/shocking thing they pull this season they're going to write it off as "when George told us about this we thought it was great" type shit, and we'll have no idea what REALLY happened to even know how into orbit they are with their interpretations.

4 minutes ago, White Harbors Wrath said:

You know what the worst part about all this is? And there's a long list of items...the fact that any controversial/shocking thing they pull this season they're going to write it off as "when George told us about this we thought it was great" type shit, and we'll have no idea what REALLY happened to even know how into orbit they are with their interpretations.

I take anything the show runners say with a shovel full of salt. :dunno:

26 minutes ago, nekrohsis said:

I can't get over the rumours that both the Manderlys and the Umbers are on Ramsay Sue's side. Just. Can't. Why? WHY? :bang:

3 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Ramsay needs characters to torture and mess with. He had Theon but that was ok with me, he had him in the books too and frankly, from my point of view, he deserved it. The show gave him Sansa to rape. That went too far and now, they will give him Rickon. They love to create ankst for us. My question will be when he gets Rickon, where is Shaggy Dog?

Oh man you've just given me a horrible thought.

You don't think they will have Wamseys hounds rip the big ass Direwolf to bits do you? 

6 minutes ago, ghostdancer said:

Hopefully Shaggy Dog  is at Rickon side..with the Umbers behind him .Ramsey knows he is alive but has no clue where he is....I really want to see Ramsey ripped apart by his own hounds...yes please.

I fear you'll end up hating this season except perhaps the end.

The teasers and trailers show Umbers fighting alongside Boltons against Jon's army of Mormonts and wildlings. And Ramsay says something like "Do you like to play games, little man." Since, Rickon was with the Umbers according to what Osha said to Bran before going her own separate way with Rickon and Shaggydog, and we can see the Umbers fighting alongside with Boltons, that little man must be Rickon. Looks like the Umbers simply hand over Rickon to Ramsay.

3 minutes ago, White Harbors Wrath said:

Given how off-book they are/have been with Sansa, Stannis, Tyrion, Varys, the Northern lords, all of Dorne, Brienne, Jamie, Sam, the Others, etc, etc. (and of course all the absentees, some of whom clearly have significant parts to play) I just assume they'll be not so much in orbit as way past Andromeda.  I'm not worried about them spoiling things any more. Even the few areas where there are still superficial similarities they have badly mangled what they're supposed to adapt. They've also completely stopped using George's dialogue, so there doesn't seem to be any real risk of them spoiling things like "The North remembers" (damn them for how they used that in the show :bang:).

Back when they used the "George told us" excuse (and they definitely used it as an excuse), it was about Stannis burning Shireen, which even if that were to eventually happen in the books, it certainly won't happen in any way that's even remotely like what the show depicted. 

They're also in a rush to get to the end now. There's only 22 episodes left, remaining 9 this season plus 13 across the next two if D&D get their way. GRRM has at least two huge books planned (I suspect he'll need another), while D&D still aren't completely out of Feast-Dance territory (let alone the farcical situation with Balon). D&D will have to make increasingly massive changes to wrap things up in time (especially as their pacing remains poor as it is) built on top of the existing changes they've made, and GRRM going by his record will likely diverge considerably from his earlier plans in the process of writing. Even when it came to adapting the published work, D&D fundamentally altered it, let alone the stuff that's only a twinkle in George's imagination (I also have a hard time believing that D&D remember much of what he told them, or kept particularly good notes - it's hard enough to believe that they did more than skim through the books).

The most basic outcome of the conflict with Others will be spoiled. But I think there's only two real possibilities for that as it is - defeating them or establishing a new paradigm (given that GRRM is aiming for bitter-sweet which rules out them annihilating Westeros - or does it? :o). I think the rest will be so off base that it won't give much of anything away.

All that said, it will be extremely annoying seeing people continue to judge the books or draw conclusions about them based on the show. But they do that already despite it flying in the face of the published material.

8 minutes ago, White Harbors Wrath said:

Did I miss something? Where are we getting Manderlys as Bolton supporters from now?

There were lots of alleged spoilers that were posted on Reddit and other places a few months back, I think. I won't be surprised if it's true, it's exactly the sort of thing I've come to expect from the show.

16 minutes ago, ghostdancer said:

Hopefully Shaggy Dog  is at Rickon side..with the Umbers behind him .Ramsey knows he is alive but has no clue where he is....I really want to see Ramsey ripped apart by his own hounds...yes please.

How can Rickon be in the north with a big ass wild direwolf for YEARS and no one has ever heard anything? It's ludicrous, but it's exactly what they'll do. And apparently Ramsay gets his gift, Rickon, very soon, like episode 2 soon. Which means he'll "play" with Rickon until episode 9. Yay. Not.

I won't be shocked if we don't even see Shaggy and just get some line saying he died and that it. But more likely he'll be in a cage and will get killed like Grey Wind. 

19 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

There were lots of alleged spoilers that were posted on Reddit and other places a few months back, I think. I won't be surprised if it's true, it's exactly the sort of thing I've come to expect from the show.

Hmm, I actually just read some new stuff that seems to be confirming it, if it's true. Though if they do swing that way initially, that could be where the "rousing speech/alliance change" thing comes in. Who knows.

5 minutes ago, White Harbors Wrath said:

Hmm, I actually just read some new stuff that seems to be confirming it, if it's true. Though if they do swing that way initially, that could be where the "rousing speech/alliance change" thing comes in. Who knows.

I don't, and to be honest, nor do I care. I watch the show as a parody now, and I just laugh my head off at the absurdity of it all.

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I wouldn't want the s 5 DVDs if someone wanted to give them to me. Hell, I had the BluRays for s 1 & 2 and gave them to a friend, I don't want that anywhere near my stuff. 

Ha, couldn't have been that good of a friend if you were willing to subject them to the works of D$D.

44 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don't, and to be honest, nor do I care. I watch the show as a parody now, and I just laugh my head off at the absurdity of it all.

It's like they set about finding the most efficient way of putting the audience to sleep. Everything of interest is gone, boring characters, boring story, nothing is just nothing... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Just now, Darkstream said:

Ha, couldn't have been that good of a friend if you were willing to subject them to the works of D$D.

LOL

Actually she is a good friend. We used to argue a lot about the show while she was a shownly. Then I told her I wouldn't discuss anything else with her until she'd read the books. She loves the books, but still likes the show. BUT whenever we used to talk about the show, and she'd say, "I liked this or that" and I'd immediately say, "but HOW can you like that? Because it doesn't make sense etc etc plot hole, etc, jet packing, etc, OOC, etc". And I could see her face go all :(

She told me I was spoiling her fun and enjoyment of the show, and that she doesn't want to know about the problems b/c it's just mindless popcorn entertainment with pretty pictures. To each their own, I suppose, so we don't talk about the show anymore. Like, not ever since mid to late 4 or so! :P 

9 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

It's like they set about finding the most efficient way of putting the audience to sleep. Everything of interest is gone, boring characters, boring story, nothing is just nothing... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Yeah, funny or boring, nothing else anymore. Yawn.

And the really annoying thing is, I think we'd rant less if that's all the show was: mindless popcorn entertainment. Mindless popcorn entertainment is fun when it's on and you might watch it again if it's on, but you're not going to really remember it. And maybe to a large chunk of the Unsullied, that's all the show is, and more power to them.

The problem, I think, is the critics. The show is so critically lauded and they act like it's one of the best television properties of the 21st century, and the fact the show gets showered with Emmys, including for best writing. *gag*

That, I feel, is the big issue. It's praised so much that it bleeds into the rest of television media and beyond (and I know some have speculated about all the deaths this television season possibly being a result of GoT's success with killing off characters "shockingly"), and ensures it will have an impact going forward, an impact that, if it was just mindless popcorn entertainment, it wouldn't have.

Archived